So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

……..career change at 50 to pursue becoming a regional airline pilot. My wife is supportive so as crazy as it feels it is worth some research and thought. So, not sure yet if I'll just be prepping to start PPL with the goal of earning my IFR or whether something much bigger is lurking out in the future.

I considered the same move. I was approaching 50 and always felt like my first career should have been pilot. I got my private pilot a few years ago and after looking at the cost of taking it to the next level, the potential income of a regional pilot/CFI, and kids going to college soon, I decided to keep it as a hobby. I had another love that I incorporated into my first career, and I no longer enjoy that particular activity. I don’t want to do the same for flying. I had an airline pilot acquaintance tell me he feels like a glorified bus driver. I have had others tell me they love it every day. Take the leap, finish your private pilot, and then see what feels right.

Was just wondering how many active students there are on here and how you guys are making out? Nice knowing others are pushing themselves through the same stuff. Let us know where you are with your training! :D

09/16/2014 Update: I passed my IR Checkride. I am going to gain experience in the system for a year then work on my commercial. Long term goal is CFI. Still a student. :yes:

04/22/2014 Update: I passed my instrument rating written test. Still gaining the required hood time.

02/13/2014 Update: I added High Performance to the logbook in Jan 2014. Still pursuing my instrument rating but the winter weather has kept me from doing much.

11/08/2013 Update: I passed my PPL Checkride in Sept 2013. I am pursuing my instrument rating currently. I hope this thread can stay alive with the status of other students. It is nice reading everyone's progress!

My Original Post:

I'm getting really close to my check ride and have 56 hours so far. I'm guessing i'll have close to 70 hours when I take the tests. Took me a grueling 28 to solo and I have been flying more than required because this stuff is just to dang fun. So much for the 40 hour requirement. :rofl:

I know a few of you are around the same point and others catching up fast. :goofy:
Getting close to private Pilot check ride

Checkride complete this past Thursday, oral portion was done the week prior (discontinuance for the flight due to WX at the time). Next day after passing the checkride, took my wife up for an ocean shoreline cruise. Thankful for her patience during the past couple years and 135hrs of seat time. Sounds like it's a lot, and probably is... but flying around the busy airspace of Florida doesn't feel so intimidating as it would have 100hrs ago. I'm now looking for some $100 hamburgers and some adventure overnighters/weekend getaways with the wife, already have a few picked out!! Safe flying!

Checkride complete this past Thursday, oral portion was done the week prior (discontinuance for the flight due to WX at the time). Next day after passing the checkride, took my wife up for an ocean shoreline cruise. Thankful for her patience during the past couple years and 135hrs of seat time. Sounds like it's a lot, and probably is... but flying around the busy airspace of Florida doesn't feel so intimidating as it would have 100hrs ago. I'm now looking for some $100 hamburgers and some adventure overnighters/weekend getaways with the wife, already have a few picked out!! Safe flying!
Congratulations

First Post;
Mine seems to be a common path...
3rd class med & student pilot cert issued 1988. 7.3 hours in a 152. Impregnate wife. Life happens, etc.
33 years later, health problems delay med cert so I opt for the Sport Pilot route.
8.9 hours in a Remos GX and I'm on my way.

Well, after +1year of waiting for a SI 3rd class medical, I received it on Friday. Now it's studying for the written (I keep getting good scores on practice tests, but don't yet feel prepared to take the test), SOLOING, then working towards the checkride.

CFI thinks I could finish up within a month if I'm consistently flying twice/week. I'd be good with that. Having the medical after a year of waiting just makes it all seem *so much more real*.

How long did your medical took?

I had some hurdles and it took me almost 3 months.

Hi All,

New to the Forum, and about 15 hours in to PPL training. Was on the verge of solo at about 9 hours, but then lost 10 days to maintenance (we only have one PA28 at my school) and another week to bad weather. Was able to get a cross country and a night flight in a C172 though, so not all was lost. Spent a couple flights knocking the rust back off in the warrior, but looking to solo in the next week or so.

Been a bit, so time for an update. I soloed 15 Jun. I was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen. We'd had some rough weather, and I wasn't flying well. But the night before a hole in the weather opened up, and wind was dead calm. It really gave me a good chance to feel what the aircraft was doing, and how I was effecting it. The next day, we went up, did a couple laps and instructor jumped out and sent me on my way.

Scheduling continues to be an issue, mostly for weather, but also due to instructors taking summer time off, and more aircraft downtime, but progress still is progressing.

I'm up to 29.3 hours and just have my 150 mile X-country to do, and about another 30 min on foggles. The rest is just tightening things up, although last time I flew, my instructor did a mock check ride with me, and said that although there is still improvement to me made (there always will be), he's confident I'd pass a check ride, so he set it up for 17 Aug. Now that there is an actual date to shoot for, feel like the pressure is on, but I thrive that way, so really looking forward to it.

Crap! I’ve been caught by this thread again. I need 19 hours of XC time and I can schedule my IFR checkride. I’m also now learning a new airplane (C177) too which has complicated things (my approaches are crap since I don’t know my power settings or how the plane reacts intuitively). But my CFII thinks I’ll be ready. Want this done by the end of August ideally.

Plan to start my instrument training soon (although I've been saying that for the past 2+ years....). Damn life always getting in the way

Now that I have a medical, CFI and I are doing "stage check prep" for my first solo. Fun. Yesterday was stalls, steep turns, simulated engine out. Power-off, steep turns, engine out, no problem. Still having challenges using too much rudder on the power-on. Looking forward to flying more than twice/month to build more of that muscle memory it takes to be proficient.

Was just wondering how many active students there are on here and how you guys are making out? Nice knowing others are pushing themselves through the same stuff. Let us know where you are with your training! :D

Started flight training for PPL in mid May, twice a week. I have about ~20 hours and just started on landings (DAMN THOSE CROSSWINDS!!! :cryin:) but power-on stalls are so much fun.

PS - I'm in the Chicago area

got 10 hours in june / july, then stupid family drama happened, I'm stuck on the ground. Right now looks like until November. I'm scheming and dreaming of a way to make it September instead, but it's not looking likely.

PPL written on Monday. Currently scoring on practice tests in the low-mid 90s. I'm comfortable with that.

Cut my training costs by more than half by flying with the club planes. Had been training in school rentals ($150/hr wet) and am transitioning into the club planes ($60/hr wet). CFI per hour fee goes up a bit in a non-school owned plane but that's more than offset by the reduction in rental cost. NOICE.

If everything continues to go well, maybe solo soon for me?

PPL written at 87%. Was aiming for a low-mid A but I'm not planning on taking the exam again for a better grade!

Reactions: Vas
SPL written 95%. It's frustrating not knowing which 2 questions I missed.
Passed pre solo progress check with a different instructor.
Still waiting on my student pilot cert as I am scheduled for my solo on Friday.
Friday the 13th. Yikes!

Sat down after last night's flight with my CFI to map out a plan for the rest of my training. Stage check on Friday afternoon, if that goes well, first solo scheduled for Saturday morning, booked out time on calendars for the remaining solo and some check-ride prep hours. Last thing to schedule several weeks out is the checkride.

It's a helluva lot easier to fly 2+ times/week than it is twice/month!

I was supposed to check-ride on 17 Aug. Following this weekend's flights, I had 38.0 hours, all other requirements met. Was planning on one more solo and a final flight with instructor for final check ride prep this week. Monday the DPE called and said he was canceling all check rides for the remainder of the month, didn't get any more of an explanation. I'm pretty bummed, I was feeling ready for it, but now I don't know how long its going to be delayed for, currently looking for another DPE that has some availability. Such is life.

My checkride is scheduled for September 7. I have to get a dual cross country in in preperation for my long solo cross country, and then brush up on maneuvers before checkride. I'm confident and ready for the checkride, assuming we can get the duals in. I have a drop dead date(next tuesday) to get the dual cross country in before I'm going to have to push the checkride, so I hope we get it in. This whole..summer scattered clouds(a lot closer to broken) at cruise altitude sucks. We have had to cancel 3 attempts at the dual because of it.

So huge update for me. After the DPE canceled on the 17th, my instructor and I reached out to half-dozen DPEs who didn't have any availability. I'd basically given up on getting it done until after the end of the year, since I'll be traveling for work and won't be able to fly. However Tuesday Morning, the original DPE called, and said he'd had a cancelation for the next day, and asked if I wanted it. I of course said yes. One quick re-warm up with my instructor, and went to take the check-ride. It went really smooth, and I passed!

After two previous attempts, one cut short because of time and the other because of crazy low visibility (but still above VFR minimums which ended up being a great way to help me refine my personal minimums), I finished up a pre-solo stage check today. Ended up with my best crosswind landing this morning, too.

Yesterday was a great day for a solo. Winds were calm and the smoke had lifted a bit. CFI and I connected around 7pm (I had a late work call; he was giving a stage check). He endorsed me for solo and for night solo, just in case things went late (sunset was at 7:49 or so). Three laps in the pattern. First was a go-around, the next two landings were lovely. He had me drop him off near the tower and watched my first solo from the tower. Taxiied back to R12 on A and saw a flipping BADGER loping towards the terminal ramp. I let ground know. They sent ops out. Uneventful takeoff. No nerves, to be honest. It was really no different than having the CFI there, other than how much quicker the plane got off the ground. I just flew the plane.

First landing, T&G. Second landing was going to be full stop but on my base-to-final turn tower tells me to "go around because your badger was just seen entering R12." Came back around for a butter-smooth landing and wheelied nearly all the way down the runway. Pretty awesome.

VERY COOL to have soloed after over a year of consistent-yet-sparse training while waiting for my medical to come through.

First XC down today, BZN -> HIA -> KRVF then reverse, all with VOR and me "chasing the needle."

Smoky, smoky today in SW Montana but all stations were reporting "10sm" vis. Ha! Still, what was there in the air was more than my personal minimums (which I discovered fairly recently). Announced my inbound to RVF 10 miles out (as I was trained) and heard a Bonanza on a 10 mile base. Then 5 mi. I was entering the downwind when I saw him on base, let him know I had him in sight, and he said "thanks for your announcement. Most people don't do that." Mentioned it was my first solo XC. He congratulated me. I said, "hold that until I hit the ground." His response: "Never say 'hit the ground' when you're a pilot." Landed (poorly, too fast, floated and bounced once. Ick), closed flight plan, peed, chatted with the Bo pilot, then headed back for redemption for my landings. Did two TnG at RVF then headed back to Bozeman. More VOR nav. Everything was totally and completely uneventful.

First solo to first XC in just a few days. Feels weird, but I've been in training since last July.

On another note, my CFI is headed off to be an ATP at the end of the month. A local DPE has committed to blocking out 9/24 and 9/25 for check rides for my CFI's students. From a timing perspective, I know I could knock out my remaining hours (7.3 total hours solo, with 2.7 of that another "long xc"), but I wonder if I'd be ready for a check ride in, effectively, two weeks.

New user here with a new private certificate. Thinking about continuing with the commercial airline training. I guess next step for me will be the instrument. Or should I get a commercial first?

Hello! I'm new to PoA, though I've been enjoying this forum for awhile. :) I began ground school in May and flight training in June. Training in a J5 Cub. *real flying* After the first 20 hours, my CFI took off to the airlines so now I'm playing musical CFI's until I find another TW instructor.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Hello! I'm new to PoA, though I've been enjoying this forum for awhile. :) I began ground school in May and flight training in June. Training in a J5 Cub. *real flying* After the first 20 hours, my CFI took off to the airlines so now I'm playing musical CFI's until I find another TW instructor.

Welcome! Help yourself to coffee and a donut.

Not an uncommon situation. I went through several instructors myself, as one after another took airline gigs.

New user here with a new private certificate. Thinking about continuing with the commercial airline training. I guess next step for me will be the instrument. Or should I get a commercial first?
The "canonical" order is instrument first, then commercial. Doing it the other way around is rare, and offers few advantages.
You need 250 total hours to get the commercial anyway, so you can spend some of them doing the instrument.

PPL student here! I'm almost done with the ground school. Planning to have the written and medical exam out of the way by Halloween and scheduled to start with a CFI in a PA-28-140 on Nov 13.

IFR check this Wednesday. Incredibly nervous since a lot of the VORs are out of service around me.

I want to ESCAPE THIS THREAD ASAP!

Currently working on my PPL at a Class D airport. Started slowly in June and have about 20 hours currently. I’ve had some delays with weather, maintenance, and scheduling. I was really close to soloing and then the lack of consistency affected my confidence in the plane.

My instructor decided it would be best to work on other things along with more landing practice to up my confidence so I just finished my first dual XC today along with some foggle time.

Checkride scheduled for tomorrow at noon. This evening is a last flight with my CFI. I was aiming for a checkride on Saturday morning because 1. no need to take a half-day off from work and 2. calmer air in the mornings. CFI scheduled me for Friday because "that's what you get for being the most prepared."

Both excited and a bit nervous for the checkride. I can fly the plane. I've proven that to myself by flying safely, solo, while practicing maneuvers and staying within standards over the last few weeks. During my stage check a few weeks ago, I learned that all of this comes down to showing someone else that I can fly within pretty broad standards safely so that's how I'm treating the checkride; I'm really just walking and flying through the ACS with a causal observer.

Finished up going over the ACS with CFI last night, too. CFI said "this is the best ACS prep I've had from any student." I feel prepared but there's definitely some trepidation, too.

Passed my instrument checkride 2 weeks ago.
I lollygagged for a couple years on that one.

Feels great to be on the other side of that rating.
Working on commercial written prep now.

I was 2 days away from my IR check ride, which had been canx twice before for a broken plane and COVID, when my medical cert was deferred. UGH!! There is definitely something to that swiss cheese thing.

edit: Also I had just bought an AA5 10 days before...

"Mock" check ride last night and it turns out that I need to talk more. Talk through what I'm doing. If I'm climbing at Vx, vocalize that. Cleared the obstacle? Announce it and shift to Vy. At little high on an emergency descent to land? Talk through the slip. Getting close to a bust on something? Announce that I'm close and make whatever change is necessary. Talk more. I was pretty quiet throughout the whole thing, thinking I should treat it like an academic "test" wherein you're quiet and focus. Talking helps me focus, however, so shouldn't be hard to overcome that!

"Mock" check ride last night and it turns out that I need to talk more. Talk through what I'm doing. If I'm climbing at Vx, vocalize that. Cleared the obstacle? Announce it and shift to Vy. At little high on an emergency descent to land? Talk through the slip. Getting close to a bust on something? Announce that I'm close and make whatever change is necessary. Talk more. I was pretty quiet throughout the whole thing, thinking I should treat it like an academic "test" wherein you're quiet and focus. Talking helps me focus, however, so shouldn't be hard to overcome that!
How did your real checkride go?

Back