Garmin Smart glide

Cool video. Just a few thoughts. How are they proposing that we have electricity to power the autopilot and everything else with a dead engine? I suppose there might be enough battery power.
They used a Bonanza for the sales video but didn’t show the guy sweating bullets while cranking the gear for 50 turns.
Oh, and now that the gear is down, he can’t make the airport that Garmin said because of the newly added drag! Again, I guess there’s enough battery to do the job, but I had to crank it down once due to alternator failure.
Damn it Garmin!!!!!!
“Obstacle, obstacle, obstacle”
They sure make it look easy!
Seriously, I’m sure it’s a good option to have:)

Last edited:
Cudos to Garmin, it’s even available to those with EAB and LSA aircraft, equipped with the G3X Touch. Doesn’t even need to have a separate navigation radio tied to the EFIS, as found in certified A/C. It’s supposed to be in the next G3X Touch software update.

I wonder how much they will charge for the "enablement" key?

The Garmin software will be able to sense when an engine out occurs in an airborne aircraft, and automatically pop up a window asking if you want to enable Smartglide and charge it to your credit card on file.

Pricing under those circumstances will make your eyes water.

:)

Next to the smart glide button they install a credit card slot.

You must be new here, nothing from Garmin is ever free.
With some exceptions, like their PC trainers. That's not the reason I bought a GTN instead of an IFD in 2017, but it was another point in Garmin's favour: Garmin let me download the PC trainer for free, anonymously, while Avidyne forced me to send in a request with all my personal info for their marketing database (things might have changed since). Then the Garmin PC trainer just worked (Windows 10), while the Avidyne IFD trainer kept crashing whenever I tried to run it. Point and set to Garmin for customer experience.

With some exceptions, like their PC trainers. That's not the reason I bought a GTN instead of an IFD in 2017, but it was another point in Garmin's favour: Garmin let me download the PC trainer for free, anonymously, while Avidyne forced me to send in a request with all my personal info for their marketing database (things might have changed since). Then the Garmin PC trainer just worked (Windows 10), while the Avidyne IFD trainer kept crashing whenever I tried to run it. Point and set to Garmin for customer experience.
Really just joking, I have a Garmin panel in my archer and it's great. I chose Garmin over avidyne because I think it's more intuitive and Garmin tech support is great. Just yanking your chain a little.

Really just joking, I have a Garmin panel in my archer and it's great. I chose Garmin over avidyne because I think it's more intuitive and Garmin tech support is great. Just yanking your chain a little.
TBF, other than an obsolete Windows app for a non-aviation GPS years ago and some instructional videos on YouTube, the GTN PC trainer is about the only thing I ever got free from Garmin.

Back