Practice approach at KPIT

tigerowner

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tigerowner
Would they grant a request for a piston to do a practice approach midday on a weekday? What about a landing/taxi back and depart? If you’ve done this recently, did you encounter any issues with the request?

While I don't have specific experience with KPIT, I did something recently at a very busy Class B airport (KIAD - Dulles, VA). I requested a low-approach only, terminating in a climbing left turnout to the west. It took a bit of patience (and delay vectors) as they worked me in. I'd say I had a 50/50 chance of getting it... depends on the controller and the kind of day they're having.

At the time, I was a VFR only pilot, but I filed an IFR flight plan with "VFR/025" in the altitude block (standard practice for a VFR DC-SFRA flight plan) - this technique forwards my flight plan to ATC and clues them in that I'm a VFR flight. I've also found it to be helpful in non DC-SFRA flights at towered fields. It produces a strip and saves time on the frequency having to relay AC type, etc.

Last year I was "cleared for the option" at KIAD. But this was at the height of the pandemic hysteria, so the airspace was nearly empty and the controllers were bored.

PIT has been a shell of its normal self for over a decade now. I hate saying it because the airport and controllers are awesome, but if you want to do approaches or whatever else, I don't think it'll be a problem.

PIT hasn't been a hub airport in over a decade and is a shadow of its former self. The level of traffic is more on par with a Class C airport.

PIT has been a shell of its normal self for over a decade now. I hate saying it because the airport and controllers are awesome, but if you want to do approaches or whatever else, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Agree...never operated at PIT but I earned my instrument rating nearby and the TRACON controllers were always great.

I’ve gone in both VFR and IFR. They will most likely accommodate you. It’s a pretty sleepy B

Agreed. I flew to Alleghany airport once, and dealt with the KPIT controllers. They seemed pretty lax, and weren't sticklers for their airspace. I had to ask a couple of times to confirm I could enter their airspace when their vectors on flight following led me into their airspace. They just seemed to assume all was ok.

They will allow it. During COVID quarantine, I was doing touch-and-gos there.

Back