Garmin database advice? Garmin vs Jeppesen? 430W and 496

systemloc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SystemLoc
Just got my first plane. Just starting IFR training. I have a GNS 430W and a linked GPSMAP 496. I have a Jeppesen Skybound G2 adapter already. I know for IFR flight, GPS database needs to be current, right? Does that mean Nav, Obstacles, and Terrain, or just Nav?

For the 430W, I found I can get database updates on the Garmin website, but I can also get the database updates through Jeppesen?! Which is better? It appears there are 3 databases, nav, terrain, and obstacles. Garmin clearly says it has all three, but Jeppesen doesn't mention anywhere if it has all three. I think they only have nav, so I'm leaning to going with Garmin for updates. They have tiers of updates with the basic, the basic+OnePak, and the basic+OnePak+FliteCharts. THEN if you want to be cheap, you can just buy the nav, terrain, and obstacle updates separately.. I think OnePak is just a subscription that lets you bundle multiple devices, so that may be useful to me to include updates for the 496, but I'm not sure that qualifies as it isn't listed in the covered devices. The FliteCharts seems to be approach plates on the screen, which I don't think the 430W would even do, so I think they are kinda dumb for offering that to me as an option.

The 496 doesn't seem to be supported by Jeppesen at all. On Garmin's website, it asked me to download the flyGarmin software for updates. It won't show me subscription information until I plug the thing into my computer and let it interface. I'll have to see more once I go back to the hanger and grab it.

Can anyone offer some clarity, and if anyone uses Jeppesen for their updates, how do you get your obstacles and terrain? Does anyone have a 496, and would OnePak be useful to get updates for it?

In terms of navigation there are a few minor differences between the Jepp and Garmin databases for the America's. Two I have found are:

ILS or LOC approaches. Garmin separates them into separate ILS and LOC approaches. The Jepp database contains only the ILS version. Only practical difference is if the GS is out. The Jepp has no stepdowns inside the FAF.

There are apparently a few SIDs which are in the Garmin database but not in the Jepp. Just recently BaronPilot did a video where he explains how he has to load the Lauderdale SID by entering the waypoints (he has an IFD which uses Jepp) rather than simply loading the procedure*).

*anyone-any idea why?

Last edited:
For several reasons, you only need to subscribe to the Nav DB.

My obstacle and terrain DBs are old and the data generally ignored. Am I the only one? I think not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There are apparently a few SIDs which are in the Garmin database but not in the Jepp. Just recently BaronPilot did a video where he explains how he has to load the Lauderdale SID by entering the waypoints (he has an IFD which uses Jepp) rather than simply loading the procedure*).

*anyone-any idea why?
Hmm. Did BaronPilot ask Jepp about this? According to AIM 5-5-16.a.2 it would not be legal to fly the SID this way.

Hmm. Did BaronPilot ask Jepp about this? According to AIM 5-5-16.a.2 it would not be legal to fly the SID this way.
That section of the AIM deals with RNAV SIDs. The LAUDERDALE SID is not one. Like many SIDs, you can legally fly it with just VOR.

There are several differences in the coding of the Garmin and Jeppesen databases. Like mark pointed out, the ILS or LOC procedures are broken into two, one for ILS and another for LOC. That allows the LOC to have step down fixes that do not appear in the Jeppesen database. With SIDs, there are more differences. Many of the SIDs use a common route for all runways. Jeppesen does not code a runway in that case, while often Garmin does. Jeppesen does not code most vector SIDs that don't specify a route and usually can't be filed. Garmin will code them in their database and if the chart shows fixes or facilities on the chart, they are coded as transitions, even though they are not defined as transitions. Jeppesen won't code SIDs that do not have a common route but utilize a vector to the transition route because these SIDs are not definable in ARINC 424. Garmin will code these SIDs, the FLL7 SID at Fort Lauderdale is an example. MIA7 at the Miami airports is another example.

The most importance difference is that Garmin is considerably cheaper then Jeppesen for Navdata, even more so if you need more than just east or west US.
I used Jepp data on my 430W until the day Garmin started offering it, and I don't see a reason to go back.
There is one practical difference which favors Jepp though. You can download the new data to a laptop and bring the computer to the plane another time. As far as I know, you still need to download and install Garmin data at the same time, meaning taking the data card out of the plane, unless you have two cards or good internet where you park. To me this minor inconvenience is made up for by the cost savings with Garmin.
Jon

The most importance difference is that Garmin is considerably cheaper then Jeppesen for Navdata, even more so if you need more than just east or west US.
I used Jepp data on my 430W until the day Garmin started offering it, and I don't see a reason to go back.
There is one practical difference which favors Jepp though. You can download the new data to a laptop and bring the computer to the plane another time. As far as I know, you still need to download and install Garmin data at the same time, meaning taking the data card out of the plane, unless you have two cards or good internet where you park. To me this minor inconvenience is made up for by the cost savings with Garmin.
Jon
Thanks for the answer to my "why" question. The other thing I noticed with the FLL7 is that the FAA chart describes the transition routes. The Jepp does not. Pretty much leaves it to reading the chart plan view. I've seen that comparing other charts too.

I have a Jeppesen Skybound G2 adapter already. I know for IFR flight, GPS database needs to be current, right? Does that mean Nav, Obstacles, and Terrain, or just Nav?

2 issues here (I have never updated the NavData or anything else on my GPSMAP 496 so I can't help with that part of your post):

1. You can only use the Jeppesen Skybound G2 adapter to load NavData purchased through Jeppesen. You will need to get the Garmin USB Aviation Data Card Programmer, PART NUMBER 010-10579-20 for about $70 in order to load NavData from Garmin. This programmer is also used for the terrain/obstacles card if you choose a package that includes them.

2. Many people only buy the Nav package subscription that makes the most sense for the areas that they fly, update the obstacles every few years (if ever), and don't update the terrain unless any new mountains pop up nearby. You'll have to compare Jepp and Garmin to see which makes the most sense for you, but from what I've seen, the Garmin is almost always a better deal when you compare like packages.

Wait, what? There are two ways to get nav updates for a Garmin 430W?

I owned a Mooney with a Garmin 430W from 2012 to 2021. I thought that Jeppesen sold the only nav database updates. That seems to not be the case, or at least any more?

When did Garmin start selling the database updates as well?

I'm contemplating buying a memory card to keep for myself a current database in a club airplane. However--there may be two different types of cards, one for Jeppesen and one for Garmin? And ones you can buy are both "orange label" cards? And you can only program the cards with that company's programmer? That's bizzare. (I presume they both work in the 430W?)

When did Garmin start selling the database updates as well?
Not sure exactly, since I'm not in the purchase/installation loop. But quite a few years ago. My comment above about the difference between Jepp and Garmin in LOC approaches? Learning that was based on a question I received more than 7 years ago. And it wasn't new then.

I use Garmin to keep my non waas gns430 current. The plan I purchased has nav, obstacle and terrain. The 496 can be updated there also.

If you use Garmin, you will have to purchase their adapter, the Jeppesen adapter will not work..so that is another expense.

When my current update runs out, I will not purchase the terrain and obstacle portion again...I have this info in ForeFlight,plus with ForeFlight I get audible alerts .

I use Garmin to keep my non waas gns430 current. The plan I purchased has nav, obstacle and terrain. The 496 can be updated there also.

If you use Garmin, you will have to purchase their adapter, the Jeppesen adapter will not work..so that is another expense.
Fortunately, while true of the GNS, that's not true with later Garmin offerings.

Back