First OSH oops...

I suspect it will be lovingly repaired and flying again quickly. Just sunk my soul to know that someone's very start to OSH began this way. I'd like to buy the guy a beer and just let him vent about it

Oof. That does not look inexpensive.

Looks like a Stearman? Ugh, sorry to see this!

Saw it happen. There was a moderate crosswind and he never seemed to get stable on the approach. I told my son that he was having trouble. He got it on the ground and was on the verge of a ground loop a couple of times, got it straightened out and looked like he was gonna be fine. Then he apparently stood on the brakes and it nosed right over.

A couple of RV’s had a formation landing incident earlier -Friday, I think. No injuries.

Last edited:
Dan Grider crashed in a 150 last night at the ACCA’s. Flap failure on go around. No one hurt, aircraft pranked in the corn.

I've been told that Stearmans aren't especially happy with paved runways and that landing on pavement increases a pilot's pucker factor. Possibly a factor here?

It's fortunate that it didn't flip completely over, causing much, much more damage and possible pilot injury.

Cheers,
Grog

What runway was that? That what looks like an RV zipping on by him just after the crash, was it on the same runway?

So they hauled it outta the corn patch, took it over to there and set it down upside down. Nice touch
Easy to pick it up and move it with a wrecker - harder to turn it over...
flythroughhangar-jpg.51354

And another one...Looks like insurance for Comanche owners just increased o_O

sounds like they just had another one. Sticking everyone into the holds again.

Sheesh, what’s going on….drunk OSH? Rookie OSH? Steingar OSH?

I have never been to Oshkosh. Not sure I really want to. Just seems overly…busy.
My in-laws just back to Florida. Maybe Sun n Fun instead.

Looks almost like the winds shifted and it caught a gust of rear quartering tailwind.
Winds were 260 so landing runway 36 was about a 10 degree tailwind. Wind was frisky at times.

Winds were 260 so landing runway 36 was about a 10 degree tailwind. Wind was frisky at times.
Had a similar situation happen in a Stearman a few years ago. Wind shifted to a quartering tailwind during landing. My landing probably looked very similar to that video. Left wing came up and I was full right rudder. What I did NOT do was touch the brakes. Put the power in and got it straightened out. In my case only damage to the airplane was fabric work for right aileron.

Watching the video a few times, it looks like he was trying to use right brake to stop the nose going left, which was a bad move particularly in a biplane.

Saw the gear up. In front of us.

A guy in a Cardinal crossed the active runway and made a few go around. FAA got him and jawed him….in front us Lol.

Last edited:
I have never been to Oshkosh. Not sure I really want to. Just seems overly…busy.

We’ve been but not during air show week. Saw the museum, met some board members at Friar Tuck’s, not this board, that was long ago. I’ve got some pictures somewhere maybe unless they’re lost on an old hard drive. Maybe they were online at a now dead website. Time sure marches on.

Saw it happen. There was a moderate crosswind and he never seemed to get stable on the approach. I told my son that he was having trouble. He got it on the ground and was on the verge of a ground loop a couple of times, got it straightened out and looked like he was gonna be fine. Then he apparently stood on the brakes and it nosed right over.

A couple of RV’s had a formation landing incident earlier -Friday, I think. No injuries.
Probably an airline pilot.

Go to minute 27 in this vid and watch the Thorpe 18. We saw that up close and personal. Very scary.

Go to minute 27 in this vid and watch the Thorpe 18. We saw that up close and personal. Very scary.

Looks like he was slipping it to get it down, in tight and land long. High wing let go, he stopped that, added power and landed. I'm sure it was him the Tower meant with the "nice job RV."

Last edited:
I've been told that Stearmans aren't especially happy with paved runways and that landing on pavement increases a pilot's pucker factor. Possibly a factor here?
For a braking incident, that makes sense. At least in theory, if you land a taildragger on grass and get the tailwheel or tailskid down, you have drag from behind the centre of balance keeping the nose up, rather than drag ahead of the centre of balance (brakes on the main gear) trying to push the nose down.

It is definitely worth going. You don't have to fly-in. I typically drive because that gives me more mobility to get food and other odds and ends, plus I can usually find a hotel a bit farther out for reasonable prices. But camping is also great fun to be in the midst of all the activities.

Looks like he was slipping it to get it down, in tight and land long. High wing let go, he stopped that, added power and landed. I'm sure it was him the Tower meant with the "nice job RV."

He was definitely skidding using bottom rudder. We were sitting where his nose was pointed at the moment he stalled. Our view of bank angles and the wing drop was much better than the angle the camera had. Anyway, the low (right) wing dropped, he caught it somehow before it completely let go, and had a secondary stall a few seconds later.

I saw all of the stuff he unpacked later (the airplane is near HB HQ) and he might have been fairly heavy, based on the amount of stuff he unpacked from the airplane.

He’s lucky he didn’t end snapping it all the way in from the first stall. That would have been fatal.

Whoa! That looked danger close to a classic skidding turn to final stall.

It was the classic skidding base/final turn stall. He was overshooting final and was too aggressive correcting. Too much bank, rudder, and elevator. But he had sufficient altitude, ideas, and airspeed to save it.

a) I'll probably never visit OSH during AirVenture. That many people and planes together in one place is about as tempting for me as being strapped into the dentist's chair in Marathon Man.

b) Nevertheless, in fairness, I doubt OSH is statistically more dangerous than anywhere else people fly. It's just that there are a lot more people flying, and a lot more witnesses for any stupid pilot trick.
TELEMMGLPICT000231957344_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqB1hv6Y8HU52iuoXtIM681LkhS3av0sV8zZVNKroB79s.jpeg

Last edited:
b) Nevertheless, in fairness, I doubt OSH is statistically more dangerous than anywhere else people fly. It's just that there are a lot more people flying, and a lot more witnesses for any stupid pilot trick.

I think there is a lot of pressure on arriving pilots to do things they don’t practice. A tight right base at heavy weight with a spot landing at the end and a lot of traffic.

Back