How do you define a friend?

• Any personality on Youtube that acknowledges you on social media

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any personality on Youtube that puts you in their videos, but isn't that prostitution John sting guy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A friend to me is someone I trust, who is welcome in my house. Someone I will help out or they will help me out when asked. Someone you can confide in and will give you sincere answers/thoughts. Someone who you feel comfortable associating with, they can be family members, your wife, a co-worker, folks at church, neighbors. I guess the point is you trust them they trust you, you enjoy their company and there is mutual respect.

Last edited:
So I have this friend

Who has come to the realization at some point in life that close male friends are sort of a waste of time, since that time could be otherwise allocated to close personal female friends. I can't say I flaw his logic.

Me? I can count the number of close male friends I have ever had on one hand, and still be able to hold a beer with it.

So I have this friend

Who has come to the realization at some point in life that close male friends are sort of a waste of time, since that time could be otherwise allocated to close personal female friends. I can't say I flaw his logic.

Me? I can count the number of close male friends I have ever had on one hand, and still be able to hold a beer with it.

I totally agree with the last part. I have several friends but only 2 true friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going by many of these definitions, it would appear that my last friend died about 25 years ago.

Maybe I should search on Craig's list.....
Reminds me of:

SBF Seeks Male companionship. Age and ethnicity unimportant. I’m a young, svelte good looking girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods; riding in your pickup truck; hunting, camping, fishing trips. I love cozy winter nights spent lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. Rub me the right way and watch me respond. I’ll be at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature gave me. Kiss me and I’m yours. Call 555-XXXX and ask for Daisy.

(The phone number was the Humane Society and Daisy was an eight week old black Labrador Retriever)

Reminds me of:

SBF Seeks Male companionship. Age and ethnicity unimportant. I’m a young, svelte good looking girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods; riding in your pickup truck; hunting, camping, fishing trips. I love cozy winter nights spent lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. Rub me the right way and watch me respond. I’ll be at the front door when you get home from work, wearing only what nature gave me. Kiss me and I’m yours. Call 555-XXXX and ask for Daisy.

(The phone number was the Humane Society and Daisy was an eight week old black Labrador Retriever)

Well, I have a 2.5 year old Doberman, but he'll be the friend of anybody who tosses a ball for him to chase.

Well, I have a 2.5 year old Doberman, but he'll be the friend of anybody who tosses a ball for him to chase.

Our dog would have befriended a burglar entering the house at night.

A friend in need

is a pest indeed...

(I think I read that in Mad Magazine many years ago)

True friend will be sitting in the jail cell next to you saying.. "that was awesome, you want to do it again.."

So I have this friend

Sex/gender shouldn't matter if one is a friend or not. Sounds like your friend is a hoes before bros guy. Nothing wrong with that if he just wants to get his dick wet. But he's not being honest about the "friendship" he wants.

I have trouble wrapping my head around my kids definition of friends, and some others that are in their 20s. They see as people that continually likes their posts, one word comments on social media, and all the other social media BS. I try to explain that those are not friends. They are just bits of data on a screen. Then you have the acquaintances. Talk at work, around the airport or whatever your thing is. They might be there for you, they might not. That when true colors shine. My friends are the ones that is I was broke down at 2 AM, they would roll out of bed and come help. They know my life, I know their’s. I can can ask their advice and they can ask mine, even though the answer is what is we like. I would trust them with my life and my secrets, they are able to trust me the same.

That is what a friend is, everyone else are just people that pass through your life, maybe for a second, maybe forever. Internet people are just data that can make you laugh or make you mad just as easily they can silence you, or you can silence them without and feeling of loss.

So there I was...

Seated at the diner, making a fresh smile at the blonde at the counter as she poured a cup of percolated Folger's morning blend. A young man drove up in a loud, open top sports car with an even younger dark skinned girl wearing a straw sun hat and purple shaded sunglasses. They came in through the door, and took a seat at the table next to me. Okay. Here's the thing. It's weird enough running in to RyanB in Kansas. It just begs the question - what the hell am I doing in Kansas?

The Sheriff sauntered over to his table, peered out the window, and eyed the two seater hot rod with suspicion and disdain. He turned to Ryan and said...

I don't like cricket, no no... Then he snapped out of his inner 10 cc. "That's a mighty fast lookin' automobile y'all got out there." He lowered his horned rimmed glasses, stared Ryan in the eye, and said "Y'all better be minding them speed limits here." And then he turned his attention to the girl. "And age limits, as well. Y'all have a good day now hear."

I got my composure together, and spoke to the young man. "That's a pretty classic looking Cobra you got there."

He gave a slight laugh, and said "Oh no, it's actually a replica."

"Really. Where did you get it?"

Ryan lowered his horned rimmed glasses and stared me in the eye. "A friend let me borrow it."

"A friend huh."

"Yeah. A friend."

They came, and they went, as the rumble of the fuel injected V8 with custom wrapped headers sped off in a cloud of dust. The fresh blonde at the counter approached me with a carafe of Folger's morning blend, newly percolated. "Would you like some more coffee?"

"Sure. Get some non-dairy creamer with that too?"

She lowered her horned-rimmed glasses with a scowl. "This here is dairy country. We ain't got none of that arty-fishial admixtures made in New Yawk City."

"Well excuuuuuuuse me."

It was like watching Wyatt Earp enter the bar, cowboy boots clanking in the dust, spurs dragging on the ground, as the long haired man with a pony tail placed his narrow silhouette in the doorway. Time stopped. Literally. The battery in the Seth Thomas Classic Series wall clock finally gave out.

"Name's Ted." He sauntered over to the counter, and took a stool.

"Yeah I know, Ted," I said. "You're Ted, not Ed, and you're here to get fed." And that is what I said.

"Seuss!" Ted said, covering his mouth with a handkerchief.

"Bless you" I said.

The waitress, and Ted, looked me up and down a bit and turned to each other... and said "I don't like..."

"Okay STOP Ted!" I said.

He lowered his thick horned-rimmed glasses, and said, "have you seen my Cobra?"

"What? Eww! No! I don't want to see your Cobra!!"

"My car, Sac."

"Oh. Um. Ted are we friends?"

"Absolutely."

"So let me ask you, let's say your Cobra was parked outside, would you let me..."

He sighed. "All right. You got me. I guess we're not that good of friends."

"Is RyanB a friend of yours?"

"Absolutely."

"What if I told him that he..."

"Oh, absolutely not. No way. No sirreee. I would immediately created a Facebook account, friend him, just so I could unfriend him in an instant if he even asked such a preposterous question." Then he lowered his thick horned-rimmed glasses. "Why do you ask?"

A recent Saturday phone call…
“Hey Bruce, my car died. Do you know of a shop in this area?”
“No. I’ll be there in 45 minutes with my car trailer. Where are we dropping it off?”

…and he gave up digging post holes to do it! :D

A recent Saturday phone call…
“Hey Bruce, my car died. Do you know of a shop in this area?”
“No. I’ll be there in 45 minutes with my car trailer. Where are we dropping it off?”

…and he gave up digging post holes to do it! :D

Always ask “friend with car trailer” where the nearest car shop is ;) ;) It’s like asking “friend with pool” if he knows any good ways to cool off on a hot summer day. My favorite is asking “friend with fully stocked tiki bar” if he knows where to get an adult beverage.

Always ask “friend with car trailer” where the nearest car shop is ;) ;) It’s like asking “friend with pool” if he knows any good ways to cool off on a hot summer day. My favorite is asking “friend with fully stocked tiki bar” if he knows where to get an adult beverage.
I actually didn’t know he had the car trailer. He was hiding that information from me, so I guess he wasn’t as good a friend as I thought.

So there I was...

Seated at the diner, making a fresh smile at the blonde at the counter as she poured a cup of percolated Folger's morning blend. A young man drove up in a loud, open top sports car with an even younger dark skinned girl wearing a straw sun hat and purple shaded sunglasses. They came in through the door, and took a seat at the table next to me. Okay. Here's the thing. It's weird enough running in to RyanB in Kansas. It just begs the question - what the hell am I doing in Kansas?

The Sheriff sauntered over to his table, peered out the window, and eyed the two seater hot rod with suspicion and disdain. He turned to Ryan and said...

I don't like cricket, no no... Then he snapped out of his inner 10 cc. "That's a mighty fast lookin' automobile y'all got out there." He lowered his horned rimmed glasses, stared Ryan in the eye, and said "Y'all better be minding them speed limits here." And then he turned his attention to the girl. "And age limits, as well. Y'all have a good day now hear."

I got my composure together, and spoke to the young man. "That's a pretty classic looking Cobra you got there."

He gave a slight laugh, and said "Oh no, it's actually a replica."

"Really. Where did you get it?"

Ryan lowered his horned rimmed glasses and stared me in the eye. "A friend let me borrow it."

"A friend huh."

"Yeah. A friend."

They came, and they went, as the rumble of the fuel injected V8 with custom wrapped headers sped off in a cloud of dust. The fresh blonde at the counter approached me with a carafe of Folger's morning blend, newly percolated. "Would you like some more coffee?"

"Sure. Get some non-dairy creamer with that too?"

She lowered her horned-rimmed glasses with a scowl. "This here is dairy country. We ain't got none of that arty-fishial admixtures made in New Yawk City."

"Well excuuuuuuuse me."

It was like watching Wyatt Earp enter the bar, cowboy boots clanking in the dust, spurs dragging on the ground, as the long haired man with a pony tail placed his narrow silhouette in the doorway. Time stopped. Literally. The battery in the Seth Thomas Classic Series wall clock finally gave out.

"Name's Ted." He sauntered over to the counter, and took a stool.

"Yeah I know, Ted," I said. "You're Ted, not Ed, and you're here to get fed." And that is what I said.

"Seuss!" Ted said, covering his mouth with a handkerchief.

"Bless you" I said.

The waitress, and Ted, looked me up and down a bit and turned to each other... and said "I don't like..."

"Okay STOP Ted!" I said.

He lowered his thick horned-rimmed glasses, and said, "have you seen my Cobra?"

"What? Eww! No! I don't want to see your Cobra!!"

"My car, Sac."

"Oh. Um. Ted are we friends?"

"Absolutely."

"So let me ask you, let's say your Cobra was parked outside, would you let me..."

He sighed. "All right. You got me. I guess we're not that good of friends."

"Is RyanB a friend of yours?"

"Absolutely."

"What if I told him that he..."

"Oh, absolutely not. No way. No sirreee. I would immediately created a Facebook account, friend him, just so I could unfriend him in an instant if he even asked such a preposterous question." Then he lowered his thick horned-rimmed glasses. "Why do you ask?"

Reminds me of the "As the Prop Turns" thread we had from a while back, lol.

I hear the fastest way to make friends is to buy a backhoe and a trailer to pull it.

It inspired me. @RyanB , and @Ted are the contributors. We have argued in chat for a long time about who Ted will allow to drive his Cobra.
And if I ever find myself in Kansas, maybe, just maybe, will Ted let me take his Cobra for a test drive - with him instructing me from the passenger seat of course. :)

Way out in the bush, middle of winter, and while using the outhouse with the wood seat that gives you splinters. Now that is when you find out who your friends really are.
Is that the person that gets you a new role of toilet paper because you forgot to bring it out there? LOL

@Zeldman, yes, that outhouse story is very close to the definition of a true friend, told to me by a doctor when I remarked upon the inconvenience of toileting with one broken arm:

You find out who’s your true friend when you’ve broken both of your arms.
The Horror!

Is that the person that gets you a new role of toilet paper because you forgot to bring it out there? LOL

Yeah, TP is important in Alaska, especially out on the tundra where there are no trees.

TP is a valuable commodity in Alaska. In some places it can be traded just like money.

Yeah, TP is important in Alaska, especially out on the tundra where there are no trees.

TP is a valuable commodity in Alaska. In some places it can be traded just like money.

It's always a tipoff when someone asks for their change in one dollar bills, and there is no strip club around.

A friend to me is someone I trust, who is welcome in my house. Someone I will help out or they will help me out when asked. Someone you can confide in and will give you sincere answers/thoughts. Someone who you feel comfortable associating with, they can be family members, your wife, a co-worker, folks at church, neighbors. I guess the point is you trust them they trust you, you enjoy their company and there is mutual respect.

That's the best definition. I don't see it reflected in the poll options.

The key item being trust, not just with your stuff but with things you may tell them or that they learn by being in your inner circle. That may be personal or business information.

That's the best definition. I don't see it reflected in the poll options.

The key item being trust, not just with your stuff but with things you may tell them or that they learn by being in your inner circle. That may be personal or business information.

One of the problems with poll options on this is that there are many levels of friendship. My intention was to establish the threshold of friend vs. not a friend. I would tally that definition with 'close friend' but too restrictive to fit the general definition. At least that is my take on it, others may feel differently.

Key point - let's take my new friend 'Merle.' I've known Merle for years as a business associate/drinking buddy who was part of a circle of friends, but I never considered him as a personal friend. Now he's taken up a new career and opened up a brew pub. Some days I'll go make the 45 minute trek in to BFE farming country to drink beer and shoot the scat with him. I would now consider him to be a personal friend. If I opened a brew pub would he come drink my beer? Dunno. It's not that important to me. What you describe is closer to the Flintstone/Rubble relationship than the guy you place dice with at the bar during happy hour.

One of the problems with poll options on this is that there are many levels of friendship. My intention was to establish the threshold of friend vs. not a friend. I would tally that definition with 'close friend' but too restrictive to fit the general definition. At least that is my take on it, others may feel differently.

Key point - let's take my new friend 'Merle.' I've known Merle for years as a business associate/drinking buddy who was part of a circle of friends, but I never considered him as a personal friend. Now he's taken up a new career and opened up a brew pub. Some days I'll go make the 45 minute trek in to BFE farming country to drink beer and shoot the scat with him. I would now consider him to be a personal friend. If I opened a brew pub would he come drink my beer? Dunno. It's not that important to me. What you describe is closer to the Flintstone/Rubble relationship than the guy you place dice with at the bar during happy hour.

That's a drinking buddy.

I see most of your poll options in a facetious light.

For me, its really the trust aspect that defines a friend. If you were Merles friend, he would ask you to pay cash and pick up a $20,000 piece of restaurant equipment and you wouldn't wonder for a second whether he'll be good for it when you arrive. A friend is someone who will go and fetch your drunk college student daughter at the police station and you dont have to worry about it turning into a thing.

That's a drinking buddy.

I see most of your poll options in a facetious light.

For me, its really the trust aspect that defines a friend. If you were Merles friend, he would ask you to pay cash and pick up a $20,000 piece of restaurant equipment and you wouldn't wonder for a second whether he'll be good for it when you arrive. A friend is someone who will go and fetch your drunk college student daughter at the police station and you dont have to worry about it turning into a thing.

Your observation is astute.

I would do that for Merle. But I also know he's good for it.

Heh. About a year ago, the midtown pub's deep fat fryer crapped out, so, for a period of time, there was no fish and chips! What British style pub doesn't have fish and chips?? Well, 'Conrad' and his wife were a young struggling family who had inherited (or bought) the pub from Conrad's folks. They were good people, and I was basically going to just lay a deep fat fryer on them. We're talking what, three or four hundred bucks, right?

When I found out the deep fat fryer that needed replacing cost $10K, that uh, well, that defined my limit of friendship and good will. They did however manage to get it working again with a $500 part.

So .... if there are trees do they make a good substitute for TP .... ??

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend ..." :dunno:

So .... if there are trees do they make a good substitute for TP .... ??

Maybe not so with the pine trees, but Burch leaves make a decent substitute. Except in winter. In winter I made sure I wore several layers of socks in case of emergency....:lol::lol:

Maybe not so with the pine trees, but Burch leaves make a decent substitute. Except in winter. In winter I made sure I wore several layers of socks in case of emergency....:lol::lol:
So are cactus the backup now in New Mexico? :D

Yep socks and/or pockets from my shirt. :D

I have friends who are horrible people and I detest everything about them.

I still call them every now and then just to hear the entertainingly way they have screwed up their life most recently.

Life is weird.

Back