Does Flight Aware Use ADS-B?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am in the Ozarks (which is beautiful by the way) enroute to Airventure.
When I launched, DFW Regional Departure said "I am not picking up ADS-B from you"

They handed me off to Ft. Worth Center who also said they weren't getting it.
Lastly, Razorback approach said "With my equipment here I am not only not seeing it, I am getting a message that your aircraft is not ADS-B equipped".

I see my track on flight aware and my dad said he was following me in realtime on flight aware.

uAvionix Tail Beacon by the way

Did you confirm that it’s lighting up? Maybe you’ve got a loose wire.

from flightaware:

Does FlightAware do multilateration (MLAT)?
FlightAware currently tracks non-ADS-B aircraft via multilateration (MLAT) if the aircraft is in the proximity of four or more ADS-B ground stations (FlightFeeder or PiAware).

also, this kind of stuff doesn't happen in a mooney..........

If you had three different controlling agencies your ADSB is inop…I suspect it’s inop…prior to ADSB I could see my flights as long as ATC put me in the system…figure they use both ADSB and Radar Trac..but I have been wrong before…

from flightaware:
also, this kind of stuff doesn't happen in a mooney..........

Ha ha! :p

To Eman's point, if your ADS-B is not working and Flight Aware is not tracking you via ADS-B, it uses your transponder 1090 mhz and multilateration to calculated your altitude and speed via time distance of arrival (TDOA) between the receiving ground station sites.

I agree with the others... you should check online to see if your uAvionix ADS-B is transmitting. If it is not, you may have loose wiring or perhaps if it was installed on its own circuit breaker, may need to re-cycle that circuit breaker.

The FlightAware detailed track logs show the sources of the data under Reporting Station.

Got your Nav Lights on ? My tail beacon is on that circuit.

Cheers

oh, but to answer the question "Does Flight Aware Use ADS-B?"..............yes. yes it does.

oh, but to answer the question "Does Flight Aware Use ADS-B?"..............yes. yes it does.

IIRC most of the receivers are 1090 and not 978, but yeah.

The FlightAware detailed track logs show the sources of the data under Reporting Station.
In this case, all of them say Fort Worth Center and Memphis Center, so looks like inop ADS-B.

Ozark hillbilly may have shot yer tailbeacon off

f31e01c23666cc03a81fb5057685e105.jpg

ya shouldna flyed over em

I am in the Ozarks (which is beautiful by the way) enroute to Airventure.
When I launched, DFW Regional Departure said "I am not picking up ADS-B from you"

They handed me off to Ft. Worth Center who also said they weren't getting it.
Lastly, Razorback approach said "With my equipment here I am not only not seeing it, I am getting a message that your aircraft is not ADS-B equipped".

I see my track on flight aware and my dad said he was following me in realtime on flight aware.

uAvionix Tail Beacon by the way
Flightaware uses different sources to get their Tracks. If I remember right they have their own ADSB network thingy. Maybe theirs might be better than ATC's from time to time depending on position. They also get input directly from ATC Radar systems. So they could be getting ATC hits on you via your Transponder even if they and ATC ain't getting your ADSB.

When I first read this I was confused. Then, I realized he must be flying the Grumman! If you get that call in a Cirrus, don't you just pull the chute? :)

They also pull radar data, so you can be on FlightAware without adsb working.

I don’t always show up on Flight Aware but I verified after those flights with a PAPR request and everything checked out.
It seems that if I don’t talk to ATC, I often don’t show up on Flight Aware. If I do call ATC and get radar identified, even if I remain outside of their airspace and aren’t given a transponder code, I will show up on Flight Aware.
Make sure you actually turned the light switch on, verify that it’s illuminated and use the Uavionix app to connect and verify it’s working. Download the manual from Uavionix to learn more about that.

Sounds like you were on flight following or filed ifr right? If so they back fed the atc radar into the adsb system. I see non equipped planes on flight aware frequently and they are using flight following.

Or maybe the light was off as mentioned above.

I would think the Ozarks is the last place someone would have a 978 pi aware receiver running. There aren't many in the country yet.

I also use a tail beacon. I got a nastygram from the FAA a few weeks ago saying that my ADSB wasn't working. UAvionics looked me up and said that I must have an intermittent power or ground issue. When I get it back from paint, I will replace the remaining original 68 year old breakers, maybe that will fix it?

Andrew (Andrew.clark@uavionix.com) is my guy at UAvionix. Send him your PAPR and he’ll go over it with you. They’re at Osh, so it may be a minute if you email him, but you can go to their tent and I’m sure he’ll look at it on your phone.

Consider how the Tailbacon gets the information - as the transponder transmits pulses it sucks up power with each pulse which, in turn, causes very small voltage drops in the wiring system - normally this would be considered electrical noise. The Tailbacon looks for noise at the right frequencies and patterns that correspond to the expected transponder output and decodes that to get the bacon code and the mode C altitude. Other sources of noise can mask the desired signal. Also, I would think that having the transponder on an avionics buss which is a number of connections away from the nav light wiring can't help with getting a "clean" noise signature. When I put the uAvionix echoUAT in my ride, I wired the breaker and ground to be as close to the transponder as I could. But, I ain't no expert in radio frequency electronics like an A&P so I don't know how much difference that really makes a difference.

UAT ADS-B transmitters like yours depend on a working transponder and altitude encoder in order to work properly. I did not read whether your transponder was working and reporting altitude correctly...if it is, then your tailbeacon has an issue. It was my understanding that the tailbeacon app will show if you have issues. If you have access to a ADS-B receiver like a Stratus, you use it to trouble shoot your unit also.

Consider how the Tailbacon gets the information - as the transponder transmits pulses it sucks up power with each pulse which, in turn, causes very small voltage drops in the wiring system - normally this would be considered electrical noise. The Tailbacon looks for noise at the right frequencies and patterns that correspond to the expected transponder output and decodes that to get the bacon code and the mode C altitude. Other sources of noise can mask the desired signal. Also, I would think that having the transponder on an avionics buss which is a number of connections away from the nav light wiring can't help with getting a "clean" noise signature. When I put the uAvionix echoUAT in my ride, I wired the breaker and ground to be as close to the transponder as I could. But, I ain't no expert in radio frequency electronics like an A&P so I don't know how much difference that really makes a difference.
Mmmmm bacon

I have a uAvionix unit but mine is the Echo and not the tail beacon (that's the beauty of experimental) as the Echo unit is ADSB in & out. So before flight I can see my ADSB displaying on my iFly GPS unit. The echo unit has lights on it but they are really hard to see from where I'm sitting ...

UAvionix will be at Oshkosh so until they have people who can run out and test your unit. So I'm going to stop by their booth and see if they can help

Ironically FlightAware is here at this ACCA deal and the woman running it said they used several different methods to track planes in adsb is only one.

Ironically FlightAware is here at this ACCA deal and the woman running it said they used several different methods to track planes in adsb is only one.

hope u guys don't run out of KY at the acca's :happydance:

Back