ehsi

Mxfarm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
What other EHSI’s, than the G5 should I be looking @ while @ OSH. Would be going in a 250 Comanche. Current set up, low end IFR, no IFR GPS.

GI-275, especially if you have legacy analog equipment that you are planning to keep for now. If uAvionix ever gets the APA-10 box introduced and certified, the AV-30C should then gain the capability to be a real EHSI (capable of displaying lateral and vertical deviation for IFR navigation), but would only work with ARINC 429 sources, just like the G5s. The Aspens are also a good option, if you are looking to replace the attitude indicator as well, and not just looking to replace a single instrument.

Last edited:
+1 for the GI275.

If you decide to add a new Garmin navigator later on, the two can be connected via HSDB and push database and software updates through to both units. Up to four GI275s may be installed in a certified airplane. So you could theoretically have an ADI, HSI, CDI, MFD or ADI, HSI, CDI, MFD or ADI, HSI, MFD, EIS or even a pair for EIS and so on. Really a nice unit.

When the Aspen 1000 is working right they're ok. But as recently as 2020 I still get guys calling saying their Aspen randomly shuts down in flight and support is lacking for such an issue.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer for Garmin or Aspen and these installs were not done by me. I merely get approached for troubleshooting as I used to be an installer.

The G5 is plenty capable, but the GI275 has additional features and a slightly higher resolution screen that you may or may not find worth the extra cost. The Aspen E1000 is about equivalent in price and capability with dual G5s. I went with dual G5s after lengthy consideration with my installer. (The GI-275 was not available at the time of my install, but I probably would have still installed G5s.) I do like having two separate units (not a single point failure mode as in the Aspen) and a longer lasting backup battery than either the Aspen or GI275. The AV-30C is currently unsuitable for IFR. What makes the most affordable sense for you will depend on what you want to hook them up with now or in the future. Mine are attached to a GNS-430W and an STEC-20 AP, and the G5s are completely compatible with them, or a future IFD-440 or Garmin AP when the GNS-430 and/or STEC crumps. All good options, and tremendous safety assets. With the G5s and IFR GPS, IFR flight is almost like cheating!

I went with two G5’s & a GPS-175 a year ago, kept my older, late model kx-155 & another radio. I’m kinda a minimalist though. This setup then the iPad mini, with Garmin Pilot fed by a GDL-50 gets me by.

I don’t know much about the GI-275, more capable I do imagine.

I went with two G5’s & a GPS-175 a year ago, kept my older, late model kx-155 & another radio. I’m kinda a minimalist though. This setup then the iPad mini, with Garmin Pilot fed by a GDL-50 gets me by.

I don’t know much about the GI-275, more capable I do imagine.

The 275 will switch between the kx 155 and 175 so you can use the same indicator for both GPS and NAV/hsi if so optioned. I don't believe the G5 can do that, can it?

The 275 will switch between the kx 155 and 175 so you can use the same indicator for both GPS and NAV/hsi if so optioned. I don't believe the G5 can do that, can it?

No, G5 cannot accept signals from an analog source (KX155). And 2 digital sources can only be connected if using a Garmin autopilot or no autopilot, as G5 doesn’t provide switched analog output to drive 3rd party autopilot (which a GI-275 can)

Back