Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
  • Replacing the AI and HSI with two Garmin GI275
  • Which will allow removal of the vacuum pump and system
  • And all of the old King 55A slave compass system and wiring
  • Replacing the KNS80 and KY197 with a Garmin GNC255A
  • Not originally part of the plan, but we decided that "while we're in there" we'll replace the old audio panel with a PS Engineering PMA8000G
I'm excited, this replaces our failing HSI and KNS80, and adds some niceties.

Probably save some weight too. Waiting to get mine back, but just from annual.

• Replacing the AI and HSI with two Garmin GI275
  • Which will allow removal of the vacuum pump and system
  • And all of the old King 55A slave compass system and wiring
  • Replacing the KNS80 and KY197 with a Garmin GNC255A
  • Not originally part of the plan, but we decided that "while we're in there" we'll replace the old audio panel with a PS Engineering PMA8000G
I'm excited, this replaces our failing HSI and KNS80, and adds some niceties.

And a spiffy new Garmin GFC500? ;)

And a spiffy new Garmin GFC500? ;)

Not yet, the installer says it should work fine with the KAP-200, including GPS roll steering. But, should the King Ap die, we’re in a good position to
get the GFC500.

Interesting reminder of how far King has fallen in GA that they are all swaps and not upgrades. How long is the plane estimated to be in the shop?

I missed the joke. Would you explain? You know where I’m from so don’t use big words.

Interesting reminder of how far King has fallen in GA that they are all swaps and not upgrades. How long is the plane estimated to be in the shop?

He said end of July, but we all know how that goes...

Why the uber GNC radio and not the "value" GTR? BTW - congrats on the soon to be updated panel - should be amazing!

Why the uber GNC radio and not the "value" GTR? BTW - congrats on the soon to be updated panel - should be amazing!

The GTRs are COM only. We are replacing the KNS80 NAV and the KY197 COM with a NAVCOM. Yes, we could rely on just the 430W NAV, but it's getting old, and we still like the redundancy of two NAV units, even if the 2nd NAV is just old school VOR/LOC/GS. And that's a second thing, having a second unit that can shoot approachs, and third, we already have a GI106B navhead in the panel that is driven by the old KNS80.

Nice shot of the infamous tube that gets in the way of clean installs.

You got a popped circuit breaker…..

Don’t know about him, but I always pop the turn coordinator when it goes in for work, I don’t want the TC gyro spinning up unnecessarily, figuring I save wear and tear.

I like the outside look of a Mooney and would love to own one someday but every time I actually look inside one my claustrophobia kicks in. Why do they look so tight on the inside?

I like the outside look of a Mooney and would love to own one someday but every time I actually look inside one my claustrophobia kicks in. Why do they look so tight on the inside?

You will never know until you fly one.

They are a little tight for someone who has had too many extra burgers, but there’s more to it than that. What bothers many people is that they are just a different seating position than many other planes. In a 172 you sit on a stool with the rudder pedals below you and the panel a pretty good distance away from you. In a Mooney the pedals are straight out in front of you and the panel is up close within easy reach and sight. That’s why I say that just sitting in one may not tell you whether or not you can be comfortable in one.

They are different in many ways. They are incredibly strong built with no history of in flight break ups. They have a steel safety cage surrounding the passenger compartment. They have pushrod controls rather than stretchy cables and pulleys. They are just a different animal. The payback for the seating position is speed and economy.

They are not for everyone, but for many of us they are beyond wonderful. Different strokes for different folks.

He said end of July, but we all know how that goes...
Well, I just ‘finished’ that song and dance. Had an appointment set for “in about 8 weeks” that got pushed out another 6 weeks. Sent to the shop with 3 to-do’s and 10 while-you-are-in-there’s, all avionics stuff but one. Quoted time went from 1-2 weeks, to 2, maybe 3 weeks, to “not sure, we’ll see.” I gave them 2 weeks and took it back. They got one item done (but probably misconfigured). Are all shops this…ambiguous? Glad my next major appointment is in January in Minnesota. Not going to want to be flying then anyhow.

They are different in many ways. They are incredibly strong built with no history of in flight break ups. They have a steel safety cage surrounding the passenger compartment. They have pushrod controls rather than stretchy cables and pulleys. They are just a different animal. The payback for the seating position is speed and economy.

I actually prefer the seating position to a Cessna as think most other similar aircraft ride like a truck. I like to recline and extend my legs which the Mooney offers. Zooooooom.

Well, I like diving a sports car. Most sports cars have a seating position like a Mooney. The most common comment I hear about my enjoying driving a sports car is, “it’s too hard to get in and out of.” That has always sounded strange to me. Something less than one percent of a drivers time with the vehicle involves entrance and exit.

Those who can, do.

agree, you need to sit in a Mooney. Al Mooney was 6’4”. Of you’re short, you’ll be sitting with your face in the panel.

you can get pedal extensions to help, about 1.5-2 inches if my memory serves right.

Yes, being extra tall is probably easier to fit than being too short. You can even have a little width and be comfortable. I believe that being able to fit in is not as often off putting to people as is the fact that sitting with their feet straight out in front of them and the panel near them is not what they’re accustomed to.

I have driven various sports cars during my life so I’m perfectly comfortable with my feet at the same height as the seat of my pants.

The same feeling of unfamiliarity is felt by me when I get into a 172. It’s like I’m sitting on a barstool with my feet two feet below me and the panel out in a tunnel three feet out in front of me. It takes getting used to.

People tend to reject change. Perception is reality.

Those who can, do.

agree, you need to sit in a Mooney. Al Mooney was 6’4”. Of you’re short, you’ll be sitting with your face in the panel.

you can get pedal extensions to help, about 1.5-2 inches if my memory serves right.
There are two options. 1.5” or 3”

Looks nice! It will be great to see a pic with the G5'sGI275’s lit up. :cool:

Oops. :oops:

Last edited:
Back