IFR Simulator that simulates GTN 650?

Ya. I do have that. Was worth it practicing approaches prior to IR checkride when I couldn't fly. Was able to use xplane and navigraph data with the 430w to keep sharp between actual flights.

I think I'm gonna pass on spending the $25 on the reality xp plugin then. If I can't get updated data, what's the point?
For me, the key point was that the plugin doesn't work in Linux (for obvious reasons). I do have a copy of Windows 10 on my laptop for updating my real GTN's data card every 7 weeks and using the GTN trainer to refresh my memory about the more-obscure functionality occasionally, but I do all my work personal stuff in Linux, and don't want to have to reboot just to use X-Plane.

Were you able to update the GTN trainer's database with the real GTN data that you download from Garmin?

I know this is an older thread but I use RealSim gear for two of my simulators. One has a G430/530 combo the other is a G1000 portable setup. I would use GTN650 from realsim gear and get RealityXP. You will be limited with database updates with RealityXP but you will get full functionality out of the GTN650. The built in 430,530,G1000 in xplane can use nav databases from FAA but RealityXP is a little different. Here is a setup of both of mine. I also use PilotEdge for real ATC work.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 09, 08 37 27.jpg
    Photo Jul 09, 08 37 27.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo Jul 09, 07 10 38.jpg
    Photo Jul 09, 07 10 38.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 36
I also use PilotEdge for real ATC work.

Nice setup. I have switched over to VR with yoke, pedals and TQ for all x-plane flying these days.... just for fun and to get to fly some aero-craft I would not normally get to fly (A321/738....). I would love to use PilotEdge, but it is only available on the left-most portion of the USA and I am a right-coast kind of person. VATSIM has to suffice, unfortunately. But, since it's all for fun, it works out ok.

I'm lower coast and Pilot Edge is great because it's airports and approaches I'm unfamiliar with, so it's really good practice.

I know this is an older thread but I use RealSim gear for two of my simulators. One has a G430/530 combo the other is a G1000 portable setup. I would use GTN650 from realsim gear and get RealityXP. You will be limited with database updates with RealityXP but you will get full functionality out of the GTN650. The built in 430,530,G1000 in xplane can use nav databases from FAA but RealityXP is a little different. Here is a setup of both of mine. I also use PilotEdge for real ATC work.

What prop quadrant is that?

Here's the current iteration of our sim... Note the smaller touchscreen in the lower right. We run the RXP gtn650/750 add-ons in XPlane 11 on it. As someone noted, the RXP gtn's run Garmin Trainer in the background, so the buttonology/functionality is 100 percent on. Previously noted, the trainer only works in Win. The other 2 computers are Linux Mint. (The ipad runs Foreflight and talks to the sim also.). Yes, if you have a subscription for a real gtn, the nav data can be ported to the sim....so I'm told ;-)

Jim

Attachments

• B8694EA9-354D-4DB4-9F25-C2C0EC266316.jpeg
    B8694EA9-354D-4DB4-9F25-C2C0EC266316.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Is there any hope for a guy sitting at his home computer to simulate somehow a GTN 650 when running X Plane or something? (Heck, I can't even get X plane to run because I can't find a graphics card - they're all being bought/hoarded for bit mining).

Here's the current iteration of our sim... Note the smaller touchscreen in the lower right. We run the RXP gtn650/750 add-ons in XPlane 11 on it. As someone noted, the RXP gtn's run Garmin Trainer in the background, so the buttonology/functionality is 100 percent on. Previously noted, the trainer only works in Win. The other 2 computers are Linux Mint. (The ipad runs Foreflight and talks to the sim also.). Yes, if you have a subscription for a real gtn, the nav data can be ported to the sim....so I'm told ;-)

Jim

That setup costs almost as much as a plane itself I imagine. Is the CPU liquid cooled?

Is there any hope for a guy sitting at his home computer to simulate somehow a GTN 650 when running X Plane or something? (Heck, I can't even get X plane to run because I can't find a graphics card - they're all being bought/hoarded for bit mining).

Absolutely! Ours has been a progression...started out years ago on a single computer farmed out from doing computer forensics. Went thru a flight stick to the Logitech yoke, etc hardware, and now the Redbird stuff. (The fore/aft throw on the Redbird yoke is within a half inch of our R182)

Since then I've built up the computers from parts, until the last one during covid. Like you said, no graphics cards to be found, so I ordered a PC from xforcepc.com, who specialize in sim 'stuff'. Good folks!

The issue in sims is limiting the need to push pixels... You don't need fantastic exterior graphics to practice an instrument scan or buttonology, just a flight stick, XP11, and, to do the gtn's, the RXP add-on.

Fair warning...it's habit forming :)

Jim

Last edited:
That setup costs almost as much as a plane itself I imagine. Is the CPU liquid cooled?

I've stayed away from liquid cooling...running 3 networked boxes instead. Something about water and electricity in the same box.... Probably not as expensive as you think. 4k tv's, homebrew computers and switch panel, a computer background.

The fun part is the 'peanut gallery'.BB8F3915-1EC4-48E6-9A8F-ED56FAE704ED.jpeg

Last edited:
I've stayed away from liquid cooling...running 3 networked boxes instead. Something about water and electricity in the same box.... Probably not as expensive as you think. 4k tv's, homebrew computers and switch panel, a computer background.

The fun part is the 'peanut gallery'.View attachment 98410
That...is...so...cool!!

So what does each of the network boxes do? Can XPlane processing be distributed over multiple computers?

Hey WDD....Just thinkin'....Have you checked the on-line documents to see if your current PC meets the minimum specs as is, til you can upgrade your gpu? Either that or download the free (time-limited) copy and just try it?

Mike- Yup, and each networked computer uses it's own resources. You can even network Win and Linux machines to play nicely. It's a master/ slave thing between them.

Jim

My pc has what it needs except for the graphics. I was able to upgrade the power supply even - just need that card.

Got the card, got Realty GTN 650, and using an old Kindle to extend the screen so I have a touch screen GTN 650 that is about the same size as the real one.
img_3355-jpg.98832

Got the card, got Realty GTN 650, and using an old Kindle to extend the screen so I have a touch screen GTN 650 that is about the same size as the real one.
img_3355-jpg.98832
Where'd ya git that super humongous control joke at?

I guess it does look huge in the picture LOL! Normal size I assure you.

img_3355-jpg.98832

WDD... so now that you have some experience playing with it, how do you like your setup?

Love it. Especially the GTN on the tablet - helps a lot learning to work it and fly at the same time.

Excellent....
Rather than re-invent the wheel, I think I am going to copy your exact setup.

Is this an accurate component list for your rig?
- X-plane 11
- Navigraph Subscription
- Reality XP - GTN650 on kindle
- Logitech G Pro Flight & Throttle combo

Good except for “Navigraph” - I don’t have that

I have Fore Flight on my I Pad linked into XPlane. It doesn’t load flight plans, but it provides tracks that can review as well as of course charts.

I use an app (Spacedesk) that allows for screen extension to the Kindle/ use the Kindle as a second monitor. You can use any tablet with the appropriate app.

Last edited:
Good except for “Navigraph” - I don’t have that

I also have Fore Flight on my I Pad that I have linked into XPlane. I don’t load flight plans, but it provides tracks that can review as well as of course charts.

I also have an app (Spacedesk) that allows for screen extension to extend the screen to the Kindle. You can use any tablet with the appropriate app.

Thanks for the feedback

Back