Scam Alert - Be careful out there

LesGawlik

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Good Guy
I wanted a GNS 530W for a new to me 182. One came up on eBay that seemed perfect. It was overhauled by Garmin, had a new screen and buttons, and came with tray, connections, card and interface.

I bid on it, but was outbid. About two days later I got an email from eBay saying that I had a second chance to buy it at my bid, which was less than the winning bid. I thought about, accepted the offer and paid.

The seller said that he would ship the item. I received a shipping notification from FedEx. A few days later I received an apologetic email from the seller. He said that his assistant had given the wrong address to the shipper, and he, the seller, had tried to call UPS to recall the shipment. The shipment would be returned to him, and then sent to me. Okay, these things happen.

I recieved a notice from FedEx that my package was on the truck for delivery. At 2PM that day I recived an email saying that the package had been delivered at 11AM. I was home, and knew that wasn't the case. I called FedEx and explained the situation. They said I had to call the seller and get the address to which the package was sent. They could start a trace with the information. They wouldn't tell me the delivery address, but confirmed it was shipped to my zip code, and I believe, to my street.

I wrote to seller, and he said he "had taken care of it." That seemed strange, since the tracking said nothing about a pickup from the erroneous address. I asked the seller for the carrier and the tracking number, but he wouldn't respond.

I copied the images on the original listing, and did an image search. I found the same listing in Malaysia. At least I assume it was Malaysia, since the ad was written in Malay. I had no information from the seller about where the item was, or when he expected to receive it back or ship it to me.

At this point, I was very suspicious of the seller. He had no recent feedbacks. He had no other items. His handle was an odd combination of letters including a flower. His address was "United States."

I emailed eBay and registered a dispute. I said that I wanted the item, but I was dissatisfied with the lack of response from the seller. The seller refunded my money, so I'm not out anything as far as I can tell. I assumed the seller got a better offer and goaded me into filing a dispute so he could rescind our transaction and resell it for more.

I wrote up feedback for the seller laying all of this out. I looked at his listing, and saw the feedback. When I went to check on it again, my feedback was gone. The only things I saw were feedbacks more than a year old.

I do not buy much stuff on eBay, and do not consider myself a sophisticated user. I was suprised at the sloppy business practices of some people, and the lack of oversight by eBay.

So, it's back to the hunt. I wanted to make people aware that there are people like out there. I don not fully understand his scam, but he doesn't have my money and I don't have his GNS.

I've gotten some good parts from eBay but recently ran into a snag with a seller. You gotta be careful but generally they will work with you to get your money back if things ain't right.

My wife recently had a go around with a vendor that sent something quite different than what was advertised. I think they are still in the "go around" mode so not sure if she will keep what she has at a discount or insist on a replacement or a refund.

I emailed eBay and registered a dispute. I said that I wanted the item, but I was dissatisfied with the lack of response from the seller. The seller refunded my money, so I'm not out anything as far as I can tell...

I wrote up feedback for the seller laying all of this out. I looked at his listing, and saw the feedback. When I went to check on it again, my feedback was gone.

I think dispute resolution might erase negative feedback. Terms of service change every few months (because lawyers), so I'm not sure if that's current or not.

First, you request a picture of the rear, with the serial number. Call Garmin to find out if this unit was reported stolen. If they’re not willing to do this it’s a scam.
I remember doing a search and seeing the same picture being used for multiple times on different sites. They just reuse a picture on the internet.

I remember doing a search and seeing the same picture being used for multiple times on different sites. They just reuse a picture on the internet.

If you're using Chrome as your browser, you can right click on a picture and choose "search google for image" to see if the image was just lifted from elsewhere on the 'net.

If you're using Chrome as your browser, you can right click on a picture and choose "search google for image" to see if the image was just lifted from elsewhere on the 'net.

Other options are tineye.com and firefox has an add on to do the same.

As you probably know....I sell a lot of battery chargers on eBay. The real secret in buying is to ONLY buy from persons with high positive feedback. Of instance mine in 100%..................with 628 sales. NEVER buy from someone with 0 sales, or no sales in the last month.

I order Milwaukee M18 batteries occasionally on EBay. The new scam is to list battery and then ship a battery that is the next amp rating lower. The last one I knew it was a scam before I received the item because the shipping weight was to low. When UPS arrived, I refused the package because otherwise I would have had to pay return shipping, which the scam sellers know and figure you will keep the scammed battery.

I bought my first 530W on eBay, and it worked out okay. It turned out that some buttons were marginal, and the tech had to work on it. I told the seller and he gave me a discount we agreed was reasonable. I was pleased with the result, and sitll use the navigator. I thought this new item thinking it would be almost new.

Although the item was relisted right away, I don't see it now after a quick look.

I wanted a GNS 530W for a new to me 182. One came up on eBay that seemed perfect. It was overhauled by Garmin, had a new screen and buttons, and came with tray, connections, card and interface.

I bid on it, but was outbid. About two days later I got an email from eBay saying that I had a second chance to buy it at my bid, which was less than the winning bid. I thought about, accepted the offer and paid.

The seller said that he would ship the item. I received a shipping notification from FedEx. A few days later I received an apologetic email from the seller. He said that his assistant had given the wrong address to the shipper, and he, the seller, had tried to call UPS to recall the shipment. The shipment would be returned to him, and then sent to me. Okay, these things happen.

I recieved a notice from FedEx that my package was on the truck for delivery. At 2PM that day I recived an email saying that the package had been delivered at 11AM. I was home, and knew that wasn't the case. I called FedEx and explained the situation. They said I had to call the seller and get the address to which the package was sent. They could start a trace with the information. They wouldn't tell me the delivery address, but confirmed it was shipped to my zip code, and I believe, to my street.

I wrote to seller, and he said he "had taken care of it." That seemed strange, since the tracking said nothing about a pickup from the erroneous address. I asked the seller for the carrier and the tracking number, but he wouldn't respond.

I copied the images on the original listing, and did an image search. I found the same listing in Malaysia. At least I assume it was Malaysia, since the ad was written in Malay. I had no information from the seller about where the item was, or when he expected to receive it back or ship it to me.

At this point, I was very suspicious of the seller. He had no recent feedbacks. He had no other items. His handle was an odd combination of letters including a flower. His address was "United States."

I emailed eBay and registered a dispute. I said that I wanted the item, but I was dissatisfied with the lack of response from the seller. The seller refunded my money, so I'm not out anything as far as I can tell. I assumed the seller got a better offer and goaded me into filing a dispute so he could rescind our transaction and resell it for more.

I wrote up feedback for the seller laying all of this out. I looked at his listing, and saw the feedback. When I went to check on it again, my feedback was gone. The only things I saw were feedbacks more than a year old.

I do not buy much stuff on eBay, and do not consider myself a sophisticated user. I was suprised at the sloppy business practices of some people, and the lack of oversight by eBay.

So, it's back to the hunt. I wanted to make people aware that there are people like out there. I don not fully understand his scam, but he doesn't have my money and I don't have his GNS.

I normally assume everything I buy on ebay isn't going to turn out well, and then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out ok. The vast majority of time they do turn out ok. You didn't say how much you paid for it. I wouldn't spend money on ebay that would hurt if I get screwed.

I have purchased a lot of items on ebay. Some of my purchases have been scams. It has been my experience that when there is an issue, ebay is more concerned at protecting their image than allowing me to post negative feedback and warning others about the seller.

Always buy from a seller with a high number of transactions whenever possible. I realize everyone has to start out with only one transaction, but if it looks too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

I have purchased many amateur radios that were advertised as in good working condition that were doa out of the box...since I am a radio tech, I repaired them and moved on. Not everyone can salvage a bad purchase. Be careful.

I normally assume everything I buy on ebay isn't going to turn out well, and then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out ok. The vast majority of time they do turn out ok. You didn't say how much you paid for it. I wouldn't spend money on ebay that would hurt if I get screwed.
I do, too. But if it's a $2 item, the sting is much less. When you are talking about anything beginning with "G" for an airplane, it's a different story.

As you probably know....I sell a lot of battery chargers on eBay. The real secret in buying is to ONLY buy from persons with high positive feedback. Of instance mine in 100%..................with 628 sales. NEVER buy from someone with 0 sales, or no sales in the last month.

So no one is ever allowed to make their first sale? Just like no one is ever supposed to use a new flight instructor. Makes sense.

Some of us don't sell **** every day on eBay. I used to buy and sell softball equipment when I played. I don't play anymore, so I don't buy and sell anymore. I guess I"m a scammer.

Update to the story: The feedback I left explaining the transaction cannot be found. But eBay knows I left it because when I went to leave more feedback, they wouldn't let me. The seller has changed his ID. I didn't see any new listings from him.

Update to the story: The feedback I left explaining the transaction cannot be found. But eBay knows I left it because when I went to leave more feedback, they wouldn't let me. The seller has changed his ID. I didn't see any new listings from him.

That's not just a red flag, that's a red flag with spotlights shined on it, and a looping PA announcement.

More information. I went back to the FedEx shipping page. That shows the item was delivered to my town, but no specific address. However, you can select "Shipping facts" from the tracking page. I found out that the item the seller sent was put into a FedEx envelope, and weighed less than 0.5 lbs.

This has to be a scam, but I can't figure out how it works. The seller took a nearby address and send a letter by FedEx to someplace close to me. I paid, and he told me my GNS was shipped. It took less than a week before I disputed the charges with my CC company and filed a dispute with eBay. Unless he left the country, or is judgment proof, he didn't have the money for very long.

This is a good technique to know. When you get a shipping notification, go to the shipper and look up the weight and dimensions of the item shipped. If it is impossible to fit your item in an envelope, and the shipper says the seller gave them an envelope, you've been scammed.

More information. I went back to the FedEx shipping page. That shows the item was delivered to my town, but no specific address. However, you can select "Shipping facts" from the tracking page. I found out that the item the seller sent was put into a FedEx envelope, and weighed less than 0.5 lbs.

This has to be a scam, but I can't figure out how it works. The seller took a nearby address and send a letter by FedEx to someplace close to me. I paid, and he told me my GNS was shipped. It took less than a week before I disputed the charges with my CC company and filed a dispute with eBay. Unless he left the country, or is judgment proof, he didn't have the money for very long.

This is a good technique to know. When you get a shipping notification, go to the shipper and look up the weight and dimensions of the item shipped. If it is impossible to fit your item in an envelope, and the shipper says the seller gave them an envelope, you've been scammed.

Its quite possible that the seller got his money and skipped town, but either Ebay or your credit card company ate the cost.

Still more information. I know what happened.

After I lost the first auction, I received a second chance. As far as I could tell, it was real. It is likely that the scammers hacked the seller's account and sent me the second chance by eBay message. This is what eBay sent me this morning.

"- - If you received what appears to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, and it appears in My Messages with the subject of "Message from eBay Member," it isn't a legitimate Second Chance Offer.

Real Second Chance Offers appear in My Messages with a blue background and subject that says, "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...". Always check for both the blue background in My Messages and the subject line of "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item…" when responding to a Second Chance Offer."

The hackers got information from a real seller, hacked the account, sent out one or more second chance emails, sold the item they didn't have maybe a dozen times, and delayed action until they could get the money out of the stolen account.

Seems rather negligent on the part of eBay. They can search every message for a phone number or an email address, but they can't search messages for "Second Chance Offer"? The fake messages have to have about the same format and wording as the real messages, or they wouldn't work.

"- - If you received what appears to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, and it appears in My Messages with the subject of "Message from eBay Member," it isn't a legitimate Second Chance Offer.

Real Second Chance Offers appear in My Messages with a blue background and subject that says, "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...". Always check for both the blue background in My Messages and the subject line of "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item…" when responding to a Second Chance Offer."

Useful info! Thanks for sharing.

MORE useful:

There are several avionics shops listed on VANSAirforce.net that will act as a "go-between" **AND* confirm the actual quality of the GPS unit acting as a "middle man" prior to funds exchanging hands ... that'd be the ONLY way I would purchase anything that expensive from an unknown ...

So no one is ever allowed to make their first sale? Just like no one is ever supposed to use a new flight instructor. Makes sense.

Some of us don't sell **** every day on eBay. I used to buy and sell softball equipment when I played. I don't play anymore, so I don't buy and sell anymore. I guess I"m a scammer.

Zero feedback................yes. Forget it. Which would you buy?
1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234075386141?hash=item367ffaf11d:g:Bm0AAOSw925g4JdU

or

2.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2941672698...1sK4ZcEB%2BDKg%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Neither one. I have my own wood shop. Still, how is someone supposed to make their first sale? Or in your world does everyone magically have thousands of transactions before they sign up?

They both have the ebay money back guarantee. I'd buy the cheaper one if I didn't have a wood shop.

Words are meaningless, stock photos are worse than meaningless. Only buy stuff on eBay that has lots of quality pictures of the actual item and/or a company that has a bazillion feedback.

In my case. there were a lot of photos of what I thought was the actual product. There were pictures of the 8130 and multiple pictures of the item from different angles. Again, I'm not sure whether there was an item for sale, but the pictures were not stock photos taken from a sales brochure. I did a search on the image, and only found one hit -- for an item in Malaysia.

Like flying, it depends on your need for risk avoidance. I would consider an item from someone with no feedback, as long as it was the $35 bookcase. If I lose out, it's $35. This was more than $35, and I should have done more. Again, this was not necessarily a phony seller. It may have been a real seller whose account was compromised, and the phony Second Chance sent to me to exploit a weakness in eBay. I went back yesterday to look at what the "Seller" supposedly sent me, and compare it to the real Second Chance message. No one would ever figure it out. It's hard even with their instructions.

Neither one. I have my own wood shop. Still, how is someone supposed to make their first sale? Or in your world does everyone magically have thousands of transactions before they sign up?

They both have the ebay money back guarantee. I'd buy the cheaper one if I didn't have a wood shop.
I think the point is that buying from a new seller increases the risk of having to go through the hassle of getting a refund. Whether it's enough of a risk to deter many people from buying, I don't know. I think there will always be people who are willing to accept the risk.

Where do I begin on sellers and ebay, last year especially during the pandemic lock downs etc. But long story short but we all remember how getting products delivered were delayed at best took weeks or few months to get items. One such item I ordered clearly stated that the seller was in the US (which is a lie and great majority have figured out how to overcome this on ebay) Seller had sold several items over a course of a year, like 65 items , ok so far so good, 100% positive feed back, ok that looked good too. So I ordered the item, got a notification the item had shipped the next day , surprise its coming from Guatemala! Landed in Miami same day, and was on fedex website as enroute , the following day, it is out for delivery ! Wow from central america to my hometown in KY in just 2 days! ( I knew it was BS) So I called my local fedex office and inquired about my delivery, to verify I had to give them my address, well the tracking number given me and my address didn't match she said , it was to my hometown but not to me or my address, I said let me guess its an envelope not a box , she said well yes, I said my item should weight about 10lbs , can you fit that in an envelope? She laughed and said ok we have a problem here. It was delivered but not to me. So here's the problem, I contacted ebay and told them what had happened , they said "your item has been delivered and there's nothing we can do" I explained again what took place , the fraudulent seller had not sent the item, had sent an envelope to a bogus address using the system to show they did their part, ebay said I needed to contact fedex about the delivery, this went back and forth for a while, finally the light bulb went off with ebay and what took place. Here's the thing with fedex though that was hard to get by, since you are given a tracking number but the information attached to it doesn't match you or your address they won't say whose name or where it was delivered , so now they won't help you because of privacy issues and ebay claims that the package was delivered so they have done their part, luckily I know most of the fedex/ups people because I get regular deliveries and knew who to contact but people that do not have this are screwed. BE WARY BUYING OFF OF EBAY! If you have any doubt to the person you are dealing with do not buy. I got refunded but I can see where others wouldn't be.

In a totally separate instance I bought a different item from a different seller, it was sent from outside the US (China-again seller was suppose to be in the US) again seller had sold several items over the course of a year, 100% feedback, this time I got an item, it wasn't what I ordered, I ordered the infrared temperature checkers for my business, well I got 3 handmade paper masks! When I complained to ebay at first all they wanted was "seller offered a partial refund do you accept"? uh no, this seller lied and sent bogus items and now wants money for fake masks that I never ordered? HA! After a bit of back and forth I was refunded. Ebay has made it hard for buyers and much easier for scammers it appears, ebay is a far cry what it used to be.

Years ago I was trying to buy something and bid for it on eBay - it went to a bidding war between me and one other person. Like the OP, I was outbid and a few days later the seller emailed to to say the winner had dropped out and offered to sell at my last bid. Something about his wording read "shill" to me, so I countered with an offer of my bid before this non-existent bidder jumped in.

To me, this was the same person under a different account running the price up. Sure, I might have paid more, but the way it all went down causes me to distrust online bidding to this day.

Sometimes the buyer is the problem. A buddy sold high end audio gear, buyer used it for a couple weeks then claimed it was damaged and sent it back. Seller out shipping money, insurance, cost of tubes to repair, lost time lost sale to honest buyer etc.

Buyer gets to evaluate equipment

eBay is great except when it’s terrible.

I get my 496 GPS chargers (sold on eBay) returned because they are made in China. But I could have NEVER made them in the USA. The cheapest bid for JUST the mold for the unit was $55,000 in the USA.

I turned to China and they would make the mold PLUS ALL THE ELECTRONICS for $1,300. And they sent me a sample overnight. They are high quality, and I've never had one returned for functionality.

Where do I begin on sellers and ebay, last year especially during the pandemic lock downs etc. But long story short but we all remember how getting products delivered were delayed at best took weeks or few months to get items. One such item I ordered clearly stated that the seller was in the US (which is a lie and great majority have figured out how to overcome this on ebay) Seller had sold several items over a course of a year, like 65 items , ok so far so good, 100% positive feed back, ok that looked good too. So I ordered the item, got a notification the item had shipped the next day , surprise its coming from Guatemala! Landed in Miami same day, and was on fedex website as enroute , the following day, it is out for delivery ! Wow from central america to my hometown in KY in just 2 days! ( I knew it was BS) So I called my local fedex office and inquired about my delivery, to verify I had to give them my address, well the tracking number given me and my address didn't match she said , it was to my hometown but not to me or my address, I said let me guess its an envelope not a box , she said well yes, I said my item should weight about 10lbs , can you fit that in an envelope? She laughed and said ok we have a problem here. It was delivered but not to me. So here's the problem, I contacted ebay and told them what had happened , they said "your item has been delivered and there's nothing we can do" I explained again what took place , the fraudulent seller had not sent the item, had sent an envelope to a bogus address using the system to show they did their part, ebay said I needed to contact fedex about the delivery, this went back and forth for a while, finally the light bulb went off with ebay and what took place. Here's the thing with fedex though that was hard to get by, since you are given a tracking number but the information attached to it doesn't match you or your address they won't say whose name or where it was delivered , so now they won't help you because of privacy issues and ebay claims that the package was delivered so they have done their part, luckily I know most of the fedex/ups people because I get regular deliveries and knew who to contact but people that do not have this are screwed. BE WARY BUYING OFF OF EBAY! If you have any doubt to the person you are dealing with do not buy. I got refunded but I can see where others wouldn't be.

In a totally separate instance I bought a different item from a different seller, it was sent from outside the US (China-again seller was suppose to be in the US) again seller had sold several items over the course of a year, 100% feedback, this time I got an item, it wasn't what I ordered, I ordered the infrared temperature checkers for my business, well I got 3 handmade paper masks! When I complained to ebay at first all they wanted was "seller offered a partial refund do you accept"? uh no, this seller lied and sent bogus items and now wants money for fake masks that I never ordered? HA! After a bit of back and forth I was refunded. Ebay has made it hard for buyers and much easier for scammers it appears, ebay is a far cry what it used to be.
That's almost exactly what happened to me. I ordered an item costing thousands of dollars. I get a notification that it has shipped. I immediately get an apologetic email about how "his assistant" sent the item to a wrong address. Okay, that happens. But then it turns out that the item shipped was an envelope. Again, since my address is not the address shipped to, FedEx won't say where it was delivered. The seller is dragging his feet. Luckily, eBay refunded my money. I disputed that charge first, and my CC was credited back immediately.

I think one of the keys is that the seller's address is "United States," with no town or state.

I bought a non WAAAS 420 lately, but bought it from a POA member instead of an eBay member. I got a good price and a very good transaction. Laying out that much money on eBay is just not comfortable for me. Buying from anyone remotely regardless of how you connect carries risk. There are thieves out there, but in m experience, most people are good to wok with.

I have a retirement business rebuilding some mechanical units for a popular recreational vehicle. I have done hundreds and hundreds of these with the customer putting a check in the box. I have yet to have a bad check. It has restored my trust in people. This is not to say I don’t operate carefully, but by and large people are honest.

I bought, and "almost" paid for a Garmin 650. A quick call to the supposed seller revealed that this was a scam.

Be triple-careful out there. Scammers are smarter than they used to be.

Between all of us on here we should be able to do a pickup in person and ship it to the buyer/poster if it's a legit sale.

Between all of us on here we should be able to do a pickup in person and ship it to the buyer/poster if it's a legit sale.

Are you suggesting that pilots go postal? :p

Back