How can I watch the Olympics

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Actually, I couldn't care less about the Olympics, but my wife wants to watch them. I have "cut the cord" in that I don't have a cable TV subscription. I have Broadband internet and I have a ROKU device. I have Netflix, Amazon. I also have inactive accounts on Frndly-tv. Youtube TV and FUBO.
What would be the best way to let her watch all the Olympics she wants to while I entertain myself in other ways. Puttering around the hangar comes to mind.

Actually, I couldn't care less about the Olympics, but my wife wants to watch them. I have "cut the cord" in that I don't have a cable TV subscription. I have Broadband internet and I have a ROKU device. I have Netflix, Amazon. I also have inactive accounts on Frndly-tv. Youtube TV and FUBO.
What would be the best way to let her watch all the Olympics she wants to while I entertain myself in other ways. Puttering around the hangar comes to mind.
Check this out:
https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule

They say it will be both Broadcast and Live Streamed. Personally, I would not be without an outside TV Antenna. Modern TV antennas have built-n preamplifiers, are small and compact,
and not unattractive. I have one of these: https://www.televes.com/us/144282-dinova-boss-mix-antenna.html

Dave

Wow this thread makes me feel really old. I remember using rabbit ears and tin foil. And getting only 2 stations good and one so so. When my kids decided to cut the cord a few years back, I had to convince them there was such a thing as FREE TV and you could get it using an antenna. You would have thought I was a genius.

If you don't care about seeing it live (most of it's going to be timeshifted due to prime time concerns and the time difference), in past olympics they've had pretty good streaming. I remember watching a lot of figure skating where you even saw the practice sessions (i.e., it wasn't edited down).

I have Broadband internet and I have a ROKU device. … I also have inactive accounts on Frndly-tv. Youtube TV and FUBO.
What would be the best way to let her watch all the Olympics …

Olympics are on NBC and related channels like NBCSN and USA network. So the obvious streaming service is Peacock. Otherwise reactivate YoutubeTV or Fubo. Whichever streaming service you choose, it’s easy to start and stop, unlike cable.

Olympics are on NBC and related channels like NBCSN and USA network. So the obvious streaming service is Peacock. Otherwise reactivate YoutubeTV or Fubo. Whichever streaming service you choose, it’s easy to start and stop, unlike cable.
I signed up for a a free subscription to Peacock a few months ago. That sounds like the best path, even if I have to pay to upgrade to Premium/Ad Free.
Thanks.

Wow this thread makes me feel really old. I remember using rabbit ears and tin foil. And getting only 2 stations good and one so so. When my kids decided to cut the cord a few years back, I had to convince them there was such a thing as FREE TV and you could get it using an antenna. You would have thought I was a genius.
I feel the same way. I still think we had a better selection with only three channels on VHF. Things started going down hill when they added UHF.
I would get a new "digital- High Def" antennae, but some of my neighbors say they don't get very good reception here, except for the religious channels, and they have to re-install the antennae after every hurricane.

I had an ad one time for essentially goofy set of rabbit ears that looked like a satellite dish.

You won't pay cable fees, because it isn't cable!
You won't pay satellite fees, because it isn't satellite!
It uses proven RF technology to pull the signals right out of the air!
It's not new technology, it's a tremendous marketing breakthrough!

I had an ad one time for essentially goofy set of rabbit ears that looked like a satellite dish.

You won't pay cable fees, because it isn't cable!
You won't pay satellite fees, because it isn't satellite!
It uses proven RF technology to pull the signals right out of the air!
It's not new technology, it's a tremendous marketing breakthrough!
But they are still mostly line-of-sight and distance limited. I have too many trees and too many miles between me and the nearest transmitter to make them very effective, in spite of what the ads say. Perhaps if I put up a huge mast in my yard or on my roof, but then again, this is Florida and half the year is hurricane season.
Spectrum Broadband, as much as I don't like them, is still the best provider around. AT&T fiber may be better but it is not yet available anywhere near me, but that doesn't bother me because I can't stand AT&T. Every time I have had to use them or fell for one of their gimmicky plans, I had to cancel because they kept raising the rates and reducing the service. And if I ever had to call them about a problem I would put on the coffee pot and close my office door because I knew it was going to take a couple of hours to get through to anyone and then get them to actually address the problem (or not)

Hmmm, I think I'm going to miss the first half it. Some friends and I are going camping in Wisconsin. It doesn't seem like I could come back and pick up the plot half way through...

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think I'm going to miss the first half it. Some friends and I are going camping in Wisconsin. It doesn't seem like I could come back and pick up the plot half way through...
I think I'm going to be part of that contingent as well.

I signed up for a a free subscription to Peacock a few months ago. That sounds like the best path, even if I have to pay to upgrade to Premium/Ad Free.
Thanks.

I feel the same way. I still think we had a better selection with only three channels on VHF. Things started going down hill when they added UHF.
I would get a new "digital- High Def" antennae, but some of my neighbors say they don't get very good reception here, except for the religious channels, and they have to re-install the antennae after every hurricane.

There's no such thing as a "digital - High Def" antenna for consumer television broadcasts, that's BS marketing-fluff. The same old UHF/VHF antennas that worked long ago will be ideal for picking up the signals today. The signal is still broadcast in the same spectrum it always was, even if the information being broadcast needs to be deciphered by a digital tuner.

There's no such thing as a "digital - High Def" antenna for consumer television broadcasts, that's BS marketing-fluff. The same old UHF/VHF antennas that worked long ago will be ideal for picking up the signals today. The signal is still broadcast in the same spectrum it always was, even if the information being broadcast needs to be deciphered by a digital tuner.
^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you are not an expert in the subject I recommend "antenna man" on You Tube. He does reviews of antennas and related stuff. He will recommend an antenna for your address; I expect there is a charge for this but I don't know how much.

Back