May a LSA be flown for CAP.

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
Is anybody flying their LSA for the Civil Air Patrol? Does anybody know if it is legal? I was in the CAP many years ago, but today I am just operating as a sport pilot. I am curious if I can fly a LSA for CAP.

Is anybody flying their LSA for the Civil Air Patrol? Does anybody know if it is legal? I was in the CAP many years ago, but today I am just operating as a sport pilot. I am curious if I can fly a LSA for CAP.
In my wing (California), it's unusual to get permission to fly any non-CAP aircraft for CAP.

In Colorado, only CAP aircraft without Wing CO permission, and you aint gonna get it regardless of the airplane.

In my wing (California), it's unusual to get permission to fly any non-CAP aircraft for CAP.
And by unusual, I mean I haven't heard of it happening in this century (although I can't guarantee that it has never happened).

By the way, the pilot must hold at least a private pilot certificate with at least a BasicMed qualification.

I know the couple of times I’ve seen CAP birds, there are always 3 aboard.

It would be excessively difficult to make a case for a mission for an LSA aircraft. What are you proposing flying for?

And by unusual, I mean I haven't heard of it happening in this century (although I can't guarantee that it has never happened).

To be honest, it was toward the end of the last century when I was with CAP, so it seems things are different this century. Almost all of us in the CAP donated the use of our own private planes. I haven't given it any thought for the last couple decades or so. I passed by the tiny little "Search and Rescue" shack at my middle of nowhere airport the other day and it just got me curious to see if there was a way to help them out. No big deal and its good to know how things have changed.

I don't remember exactly when CAP-owned aircraft became the norm.

To be honest, it was toward the end of the last century when I was with CAP, so it seems things are different this century.
And how. Most of the CAP planes when I was in were light-sport-eligible two-seaters. Champs, Ercoupes, Cubs. The wing had one four-seater (T-41) and several ex-military two-seaters (L-19s, T-34s). Primary support on searches was member-owned aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

I found this pdf file on the CAP website and highlighted the personal plane blurb on page 2.

Attachments

• CAP_Pilot_brochure_Final_8312011_12821F1F5CFD0.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 12
The big sticking point is this, from CAP regulation 70-1:

9.2.1.1. The use of member owned/furnished aircraft (other than gliders and balloons) requires wing or higher commander approval for corporate missions and CAP-USAF Liaison Region Commander or higher approval for each AFAM in which the aircraft’s use is requested.​

Likely the only non-CAP or LSA aircraft participating in CAP operations is when it’s down and CAP is looking for it.

Back