FAA guidance on Flight instruction LODA in category aircraft. . . update July 8th

In order to do that, you have to actually lead.

I want to lead the horse to drink at the creek.

Or we could follow your method. You want to take the horse, lead him up a mountain side to go find snow to eat because you are convinced that the creek has been contaminated and will kill everyone and everything based upon a preconceived notion you can neither articulate or quite comprehend. ;)

So your objection is that I used an imprecise word and therefore you cannot have a discussion about the topic?
My objection is that you attributed to the court something that it did not say. That's at the root of all the hysteria here. And "passenger" is not merely an incorrect word, it's the wrong word. The regs and the FAA are clear that "passenger" and "person" have different meanings. And indeed, while a passenger must be a person, a person might not be a passenger. In fact, the difference between these words is so significant, that if the regulation in question had said "passenger" instead of "person," the whole case likely would have come out differently, and if the court had, in fact, said "passenger" instead of "person," as you stated, then the hysteria would actually be warranted! This is not trivial semantics, and it's why my crim law professor admonished us to "never paraphrase a statute!"

A shift has happened and people are trying to figure out what it means.
Maybe.
One of the shifts states the CFI has become the operator of every training flight and they are conducting carriage for compensation.
But that's not it. If anything, the crux of the FAA's notification is that a CFI may be an operator of an aircraft being used for instruction. Another important distinction.
The term carriage implies the pilot must become a passenger of the instructor.
It really doesn't. And the FAA has said repeatedly that students and CFIs on a dual flight are not passengers. That's why it's significant that 91.315 and the court's order don't use the word "passenger," and why it's so important that we use the right words when discussing them.
What else does this impact that nobody, including the FAA, has considered yet?
Apparently it impacts the supports for the whole FARs according to some. But if the FAA isn't considering it, why does it matter? The FAA has already said that it wasn't its intent to apply this holding broadly, but since EAA and AOPA forced them to make a statement, this policy statement was actually the best we could hope for. The FAA saying, yes, the reg. means what it says, we'll give you a workaround for now, and we will fix it down the road.

I want to lead the horse to drink at the creek.

Or we could follow your method. You want to take the horse, lead him up a mountain side to go find snow to eat because you are convinced that the creek has been contaminated and will kill everyone and everything based upon a preconceived notion you can neither articulate or quite comprehend. ;)
My point exactly.

How many times has it been said here to not ask for the Chief Counsel's opinion on something ambiguous because you probably won't like the answer? Why doesn't that advice apply to AOPA?

I suspect a lot of the membership of AOPA (and all the other alphabets) were wailing and gnashing their teeth based on an interpretation that sky had fallen and demanding the alphabets “do something”. Unfortunately, the alphabets likely didn’t offer a solution either directly or behind the scenes that was simple but emphasized the sky had fallen and then demanded the FAA “do something” which they did.

Some think what they did wasn’t necessary and the FAA is just generating entropy while others think they may have fumbled the ball yet again and not only had the sky fallen but also the earth was swallowed by a black hole.

So far, I’m on the generating entropy side until the LODA process comes a cropper, which hasn’t happened yet but still might. In any event, my construction of an E-AB will proceed at its current glacial pace. Since it’s a single seat, don’t even need a LODA:mad:

Cheers

It is so nice that this thread is now pretty much useless. Little boys with huge amounts of excess time on their hands.

Which all makes my original comment a good call.

As clear as mud.

Someone didn't vet the language very carefully. Can't wait for the first court case that could come out of this. Probably enough to buy several yachts as partners retire from it.

Which all makes my original comment a good call.

As clear as mud.

Someone didn't vet the language very carefully. Can't wait for the first court case that could come out of this. Probably enough to buy several yachts as partners retire from it.

What would someone try to initiate a law suit over pertaining to the policy letter?

Easy. Accident happens and the court or jury tries to decide who is PIC, a passenger, person or a pilot, who is legal to fly and who isn't and if the flight was legal and the insurance company needs to pay out if someone doesn't have the paperwork correctly done or feels that the reg doesn't apply to their situation. Doesn't take much. If this thread proves anything, it's that even pilots who have to work with the regs all the time have a hard time understanding the implications and direction of the policy. Let alone a jury. Just one more point of possible confusion.

What would someone try to initiate a law suit over pertaining to the policy letter?

I will remind you that in the USA, anybody can sue anybody about anything (and often do), regardless of the rationale or viability of a claim. Who would have thought a fumble handed woman who spills hot coffee on herself would sue McDonald’s and win the case. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

An accident involving instruction in a Special category aircraft is a potential fertile hunting ground for personal injury law firms. I’m quite sure First Year associates and Paralegals are researching the field for potential cases.

Cheers

Hey, a thought - if the cfi is the operator of the flight, do they become responsible for the airworthiness of the airplane? And if the aircraft is carrying a person for compensation, is it required to do 50/100 hour inspections?

still trying to figure out the new dynamics.

Hey, a thought - if the cfi is the operator of the flight, do they become responsible for the airworthiness of the airplane? And if the aircraft is carrying a person for compensation, is it required to do 50/100 hour inspections?

still trying to figure out the new dynamics.
What do the applicable regs say?

What do the applicable regs say?

The words of the regs haven't changed, but we don't know exactly what they mean anymore. The FAA holds the CFI as ultimately responsible for the flight, so they ARE the PIC now? Or are they? As such, if the registration is expired or the airplane is a day past annual, do they get fried for it?

In the past, flying with a CFI, we agreed who was PIC and it was typically the pilot. Can we do that anymore?

The words of the regs haven't changed, but we don't know exactly what they mean anymore. The FAA holds the CFI as ultimately responsible for the flight, so they ARE the PIC now? Or are they? As such, if the registration is expired or the airplane is a day past annual, do they get fried for it?

In the past, flying with a CFI, we agreed who was PIC and it was typically the pilot. Can we do that anymore?
Regardless of the new ruling you could pretty well assume that as a CFI you would be jointly responsible for any stupid pilot tricks regardless of who was PIC.

True, the instructor should be aware and prevent dumb things from happening. But is the FAA pushing to officially make the CFI completely responsible for the flight? Can the trainee be the PIC anymore?

I don't know and I don't think anyone here knows.

So you believe that you can definitively speak for the FAA? In that case, why are you screwing around here? Just tell everyone what the answer is and quit being evasive.

The FAA has stated that the CFI is the operator, because that's how they get to them conducting carriage.

Does this mean the CFI will always the PIC now? Is the CFI responsible for all the elements of the flight? Do the pilot and CFI need to sit down and review every element of airworthiness prior to each flight, like you do with a DPE before a checkride?

Last edited:
So you believe that you can definitively speak for the FAA? In that case, why are you screwing around here? Just tell everyone what the answer is and quit being evasive.

I never stated that. I can however read and understand what has been written.

The FAA has stated that the CFI is the operator, because that's how they get to them conducting carriage.

In regards to limited aircraft operations. Again, reread the policy letter without all of the self induced hysteria.

Does this mean the CFI will always the PIC now?

Read the applicable regulations, and even a few CC opinions on the subject.

Is the CFI responsible for all the elements of the flight? Do the pilot and CFI need to sit down and review every element of airworthiness prior to each flight, like you do with a DPE before a checkride?

Now you're really stretching this out. Go back and carefully reread what was written.

But what do they say? We can't even begin to attempt to determine what they mean if we don't know what they say.

If you don't know the FARs, I'm certainly not posting every one of them for you. 91.7 was identified above as one of the ones to be questioned

If you don't know the answer, then just say so and quit being pompous about it. If you do know what the FAA means (how), then you should enlighten everyone.

I suspect you don't know, but you enjoy the false sense of superiority that gives you.

If you don't know the FARs, I'm certainly not posting every one of them for you.
Nobody knows what FARs you're talking about if you don't identify them.
91.7 was identified above as one of the ones to be questioned
If the question is whether a CFI could face a violation of 91.7 for flying an unworthy aircraft, the answer is probably yes if he knew or should have known it was unairworthy. Was that your question?
If you don't know the answer, then just say so and quit being pompous about it. If you do know what the FAA means (how), then you should enlighten everyone.
Nobody knows the answer until you ask a specific question. Even above, just identifying 91.7 isn't asking a question.
I suspect you don't know, but you enjoy the false sense of superiority that gives you.
I do have a sense that I'm better equipped to discuss the impact of documents I've read than people who haven't read them are. And given my professional training and experience, I may be better equipped to understand them than others lacking that training and experience. That doesn't make me "superior," though.

That doesn't make me "superior," though.

You come across that way....telling everyone else they're wrong without identifying the correct answer yourself. I don't blame you for that, in reality, you don't know what is coming out of this either. There are still unidentified impacts. The FAA's policy change was spurred by the 91.315 infringement, but, because they are changing the responsibility of a CFI, I believe the impacts will not be limited to only special airworthiness airplanes. The sky isn't falling, but there could be changes that are going to impact everyone...WE don't know yet.

There are people far above you in the aviation world that were concerned enough to commit their organizations to finding out the answers. Despite all the alphabet groups getting behind it, we still don't have those answers yet.

In any case, you and Doc have once again proved yourself to be more about your self importance than being helpful. You are negative value for me. Plonk.

Attachments

• 2021-14765.pdf
    263.5 KB · Views: 4
Maybe this thread would be better if we confined ourselves to talking about the issue instead of talking about each other.

You come across that way....telling everyone else they're wrong without identifying the correct answer yourself.
Where did I tell you that you were wrong without identifying the correct answer?
I don't blame you for that, in reality, you don't know what is coming out of this either.
Yeah, well you can't predict the future either.:rolleyes: Although I did say when they sent it that the AOPA and EAA letter was misguided and wouldn't have the desired effect. That doesn't mean I knew what would happen, I could have been wrong. Just the application of experience.
There are still unidentified impacts.
People can keep saying that, but it's meaningless. There are always unidentified consequences of anything. So identify them or don't. But running around talking about the sky falling, without identifying where or how is pointless.
The FAA's policy change was spurred by the 91.315 infringement, but, because they are changing the responsibility of a CFI, I believe the impacts will not be limited to only special airworthiness airplanes. The sky isn't falling, but there could be changes that are going to impact everyone...WE don't know yet.
How did the FAA change the responsibility of a CFI?
There are people far above you in the aviation world that were concerned enough to commit their organizations to finding out the answers. Despite all the alphabet groups getting behind it, we still don't have those answers yet.
I'm not going to quote again the passage from the FAA notice that the policy update you hate so much was made in direct response to the request from those "far above" me in the aviation world. But it's there.
In any case, you and Doc have once again proved yourself to be more about your self importance than being helpful. You are negative value for me. Plonk.
Goodbye.

True, the instructor should be aware and prevent dumb things from happening. But is the FAA pushing to officially make the CFI completely responsible for the flight? Can the trainee be the PIC anymore?

I don't know and I don't think anyone here knows.
My understanding is the presence of a cfi does not relieve a certificated pilot of responsibility nor does some other pilots PIC role protect a cfi.

i.e. if you go for a ride with @eman1200 and he buzzes some topless girls on the beach the FAA would likely talk to you and ask what exactly you were up to while he was showing off and he couldn’t get away with saying the cfi didn’t say anything to stop me…

Anecdotal evidence. Just how I’ve seen it work out in the past.

...i.e. if you go for a ride with @eman1200 and he buzzes some topless girls on the beach the FAA would likely talk to you and ask what exactly you were up to while he was showing off and he couldn’t get away with saying the cfi didn’t say anything to stop me….

lead me to the nearest topless beach...........please.

LODA received. About a 3-4 day turn.
I neglected to include a couple of pieces of required info. They (DigitaliBiz) emailed asking for that info, I had a signed LODA from FSDO 2-1/2 hours later. Since a Federal Judge ruled flight instruction is a commercial venture (which by definition it is) I’m covered to receive professional flight instruction in my EXP airplane. End of story. All you ******* need to find a new cesspool to stir!

Last edited:
If anybody can figure out why AOPA now has their underwear in a bigger twist in this article, let me know. All I can deduce it’s a scare tactic to drum up business for the lawsuit insurance since getting the LODA seems to be painless.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...is-at-risk?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email

Cheers
Because they are actually looking at the possibly wideswept negative consequences that could pop up and haven't shoved their heads in the sand. This is a serious safety issue and should not have been approached so hap-hazardly. To pretend like adding nonsensical steps to get training, and more fear by instructors that they might be violating rules that seem to be changing daily isn't going to mean less training occurs is nothing more than having your head in the sand.

Because they are actually looking at the possibly wideswept negative consequences that could pop up and haven't shoved their heads in the sand. This is a serious safety issue and should not have been approached so hap-hazardly. To pretend like adding nonsensical steps to get training, and more fear by instructors that they might be violating rules that seem to be changing daily isn't going to mean less training occurs is nothing more than having your head in the sand.

iu

If anybody can figure out why AOPA now has their underwear in a bigger twist in this article, let me know. All I can deduce it’s a scare tactic to drum up business for the lawsuit insurance since getting the LODA seems to be painless.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...is-at-risk?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email

Cheers
Why write an article about a court proceeding without providing background on the proceeding, let alone naming it? Is it because if we actually researched it, the facts wouldn't support the author's premise?

Cheers

About the author:

Justine Harrison joined AOPA in 2019 and serves as AOPA’s general counsel and corporate secretary, leading the Legal Department and overseeing AOPA’s Legal Services Plan.

Drumming up business for the legal services plan.

I hope you guys are well paid. You certainly deserve it.

The concern isn't around any of the special airworthiness certificates, it's what else is impacted by saying that a CFI is operating the aircraft and is carrying a person for compensation.

Adding to this, yesterday the FAA said that a volunteer instructor is receiving compensation (FAA Says Volunteer Instructors Are Being Compensated - PP (planeandpilotmag.com)) Now, putting the two of these together, there is no path to get instruction in your experimental unless you have a LODA, even if the instructor isn't getting paid. Supposing I bought a new limited category aircraft, how do I get instruction in it now? Or should I just go fly it and hope for the best?

Cheers

Interesting. The article is definitely lacking in details. I can see some concerns if true. I would be interested in hearing more about:

"Last week FAA prosecutors quoted FAA Advisory Circular 61-142, “defining ‘compensation’ as the receipt of anything of value that is contingent on the pilot operating the aircraft… [it] does not require a profit, profit motive, or actual payment of funds. … accumulation of flight time and goodwill in the form of expected future economic benefits can be considered compensation.".

Reading the AC I found the following interesting:

"The material in this AC is advisory in nature and does not constitute a regulation. This guidance is not legally binding in its own right and will not be relied upon by the Department of Transportation as a separate basis for affirmative enforcement action or other administrative penalty."

So the FAA is using their AC in prosecution that specifically says it won't be used in such activity?

The AC also says:
"compensation occurs even if a third party receives a benefit as a result of the flight."

So by that logic, every flight anyone takes involves compensation.

To me this just illustrates that the FAA has collectively lost their minds and rather than correcting a few FAR's are digging a hole deeper and deeper. Pretty soon we'll all need multiple LODA's for any flight...

Back