Cessna 414 down in Yorba Linda

He had two prior FAA violations according to the report. One for flight into IMC without ratings/clearance…. I guess the certificate suspension wasn’t enough consequence. Devastating for the innocent folks killed on the ground.

Interesting that a Stratus2S is useful to crash investigations as a data recorder. I wonder what the intended purpose is for Appareo to not just provide live data for attitude, but also record it.

“Recorded data from the airplane’s Appareo Stratus 2S (portable ADS-B receiver and attitude heading and reference system) revealed that, during the last 15 seconds of the flight, the airplane’s attitude changed erratically with the pitch angle fluctuating between 45° nose-down and 75°nose-up, and the bank angle fluctuating between 170° left and 150° right while descending from 5,500 to 500 ft above ground level, indicative of a loss of airplane control shortly after the airplane entered the clouds. “

Interesting that a Stratus2S is useful to crash investigations as a data recorder. I wonder what the intended purpose is for Appareo to not just provide live data for attitude, but also record it.

I know that all of that data dumps into ForeFlight's "track logs," which can be pretty fun to look at after a flight. (Maybe it's useful to students as well? For me it's just entertainment.) And I think the Stratus records it so that even if ForeFlight isn't running the whole time, the track log is still available. Not sure if there's a way to turn it off.

Good review of the accident. It makes me mad and sad to hear these details. There is no excuse. I pray I'm never "that guy". Be careful out there.

Came here thinking maybe it was “Air Wagner!”

Back