A36 crash at KCHD 7/10/21

B-36, like the 10 engine bomber? Or perhaps an A36 Bonanza…

Sorry, right, an A36 Bonanza.

Left Manassas VA on July 1 and then flew west. Last leg from Show Low AZ to KCHD on July 6.

Big wind storm on the field last night. Aircraft apparently attempting takeoff on 22R and crashed through the fence at the end. No FlightAware track from this AM.

Registered to MuddFlyers LLC in Virginia. The agent for that LLC is Marty Mosier, who is a general manager at CRFS Inc. They work with signals intelligence and electronic warfare. His linked in says he is an ATP and flight instructor. https://www.linkedin.com/in/marty-mosier-a06b041 . FAA registry says ATP issued 2016.

FAA registry says ATP issued 2016.

Issue date is kinda meaningless because it'll update for things like an address change. For example my issue date is 2018 even though I got my ATP in 2006.

I see nighttime lows 85-86 degrees, 7:20 a.m., should of been close to that. Rwy 22R 4400’, 1231’ MSL. It had been gusty at times, don’t know if it was at the time of departure.

There was 4 on board, may of fueled up also, to some level. The previous reports ‘seem’ to indicate not enough performance to establish a climb? Maybe the engine wasn’t putting out full power, whatever reason.

I’m not sure the margins with 4 on board & some fuel. Seems the pilot had a good bit of experience. Looked like a wonderful plane too.

KCHD 101447Z 15003KT 10SM SCT150 33/20 A2988

DA of 3940 with a very high humidity this AM of 46%.

Given the capabilities of that plane, I would suspect engine issues. But much more information needed at this point.

Last edited:
You are right. Corrected. Stills seems like engine trouble as most likely, though with a lot of uncertainty.

Here is a link to a local article. I drove by the crash site after it was all cleaned up. It seems likely that the plane never got off the ground, or if it did, they didn't make it that high. It crashed into, and appears to have been stopped by, a chain link fence 600' from the end of the runway.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/f...ane-goes-down-near-chandler-municipal-airport

Youtube video of FD putting out the fire.

The registered agent for that LLC is my former partner in a different A36TC. CFI/II with lots of A36TC hours.

Just got a text back. Everyone is ok.

Great news! Maybe the pilot can provide some insight. I have a hard time believing DA played any factor. Unusual wind event or an engine issue perhaps?

Great news! Maybe the pilot can provide some insight. I have a hard time believing DA played any factor. Unusual wind event or an engine issue perhaps?

I'll leave it at 'everyone is ok'. Beyond that I am comfortable to say that operating a TC in AZ in the summer is something he has a lot of experience with.

Back