New member from Central Oregon, saying hello.

Paul Ruschman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul R.
Hello all. Newbie here, poked around a little here and kept finding more and more wonderful, insightful, funny, and helpful info the more I poked about. Looking forward to being to contribute on some capacity in the future.
quick bio, made 53 turns about the sun, attended A&P schooling late '80's, didn't work in the industry very long. in 2001 moved to Sandy OR across from McKinnon air strip, owner of Mckinnon at the time, late Mike Reese, appreciated my enthusiasm for aviation, took our family to a breakfast fly-in at Mulino in his Grumman Widgeon, (GORGEOUS bird), he told us if we decided to pursue flying and bought a plane we could put a gate in the fence between us keeping the plane on our property and use his runway anytime. Wife shared my passion for aviation and helped to clear the budget for me to get my pilots license. In 2005 best friend and I got our Private Pilot cert SEL together, had no intention to go any further than flying for fun. The dream to own was strong but flying at most 150hrs per it was cheaper to rent a 172 wet from KTTD at the time than to own. Mike passed away early 2010, his family sold the property to a herb grower... I stopped flying at that point. Fast forward to 2016, we sold our property in Sandy bought land in Central Oregon near Crescent lake, set our selves up 100% debt free and LOVING it, built on one of our 3 lots, a year ago the bug to bore holes in the atmosphere bit and bit hard. Past month I've been poking about to get as prepared as possible to finally get back in the air, week back spent some time at Leading Edge Aviation at KBDN and scheduled a pre-preflight review, (is that such as thing?) Yesterday logged 1.4hrs dual, loved every second of it, was everything I had hoped it be after 14ish years. Was amazed at how much a retained yet not surprised at how rusty. Flight maneuvers in the practice area, nailed it. Pattern work?!?!? ehhh... 1930's comedy show is probably the best description. Procedures procedures procedures.... Every touchdown made it down without any bouncing or slams, path down to the runway was comical at best, grossly overshot the landing point... Looking forward to knocking the rust off and building proficiency.

Paul

Paul,

Welcome to the forum! The passion never goes away, and you can shed the rust. Good on you for getting back in the air!

Hello all. Newbie here, poked around a little here and kept finding more and more wonderful, insightful, funny, and helpful info the more I poked about. Looking forward to being to contribute on some capacity in the future.
quick bio, made 53 turns about the sun, attended A&P schooling late '80's, didn't work in the industry very long. in 2001 moved to Sandy OR across from McKinnon air strip, owner of Mckinnon at the time, late Mike Reese, appreciated my enthusiasm for aviation, took our family to a breakfast fly-in at Mulino in his Grumman Widgeon, (GORGEOUS bird), he told us if we decided to pursue flying and bought a plane we could put a gate in the fence between us keeping the plane on our property and use his runway anytime. Wife shared my passion for aviation and helped to clear the budget for me to get my pilots license. In 2005 best friend and I got our Private Pilot cert SEL together, had no intention to go any further than flying for fun. The dream to own was strong but flying at most 150hrs per it was cheaper to rent a 172 wet from KTTD at the time than to own. Mike passed away early 2010, his family sold the property to a herb grower... I stopped flying at that point. Fast forward to 2016, we sold our property in Sandy bought land in Central Oregon near Crescent lake, set our selves up 100% debt free and LOVING it, built on one of our 3 lots, a year ago the bug to bore holes in the atmosphere bit and bit hard. Past month I've been poking about to get as prepared as possible to finally get back in the air, week back spent some time at Leading Edge Aviation at KBDN and scheduled a pre-preflight review, (is that such as thing?) Yesterday logged 1.4hrs dual, loved every second of it, was everything I had hoped it be after 14ish years. Was amazed at how much a retained yet not surprised at how rusty. Flight maneuvers in the practice area, nailed it. Pattern work?!?!? ehhh... 1930's comedy show is probably the best description. Procedures procedures procedures.... Every touchdown made it down without any bouncing or slams, path down to the runway was comical at best, grossly overshot the landing point... Looking forward to knocking the rust off and building proficiency.

Paul

Welcome back to the sky and welcome to here. Lol on your 30’s comedy show zinger about pattern work at Bend. Some guy in a Citation I think it was caused quite a stir around here awhile back trying to ‘run the pattern’ there.

Welcome, I have liked flying into the Bend airport the few times I have done so, Had a friend do a bit of glider training there. You might look into what is available there if you are looking to fly for fun.

Let me know if you happen to make it over the Western Idaho, Nampa/Boise Area, I will buy you lunch.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Let me know if you happen to make it over the Western Idaho, Nampa/Boise Area, I will buy you lunch.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thank you, I do plan on flying some over there, have family in Meridian, gladly take you up on the offer.

Welcome! I flew over KBDN last week on the way from KCOS (Colorado Springs) to 77S (Creswell, OR) then back again last Monday. Beautiful country there and I really liked the visits I made to the High Desert Museum there over the years.

Welcome!

Paragraphs are your friend.

My in-laws live just outside of Gold Hill. We fly up sometimes and land in Grants Pass.

Back