Intentionally taking longer than most students

My wife had something like 120 hours on her checkride. Part of this was she was a bit afraid of flying when she started and partly because she did her training out of IAD which meant that there was some basic inefficiency. She ended up quite a competent pilot. Nobody cares how many hours you had at the time you take your ride. Hers was exemplary.

Thank you. That real life example of your wife really helps. I appreciate that.

I LOVE flying. I am absolutely certain that I will always want to fly even if I never get my pilot’s license. If it comes to that, then I can always fly with a CFI beside me and I am completely ok with that. I am less interested in ferrying passengers around and some of the advantages of being a pilot are really not that appealing to me.

Color me curious to the highlight.

Enjoying your flying is key. Coordinating when I can go fly based on the schedule of a CFI would be a larger inhibitor no matter how much I enjoyed their company.

I do enjoy flying with friends and family and for me taking plane trips in a couple hours that would have been many more in the car are a huge upside but I also often fly alone and enjoy it. Did a nice 2.1 yesterday just to go fly in the "mountains" of MD and WV since there was virtuality no wind so it was smooth.

Color me curious to the highlight.

Enjoying your flying is key. Coordinating when I can go fly based on the schedule of a CFI would be a larger inhibitor no matter how much I enjoyed their company.

I do enjoy flying with friends and family and for me taking plane trips in a couple hours that would have been many more in the car are a huge upside but I also often fly alone and enjoy it. Did a nice 2.1 yesterday just to go fly in the "mountains" of MD and WV since there was virtuality no wind so it was smooth.

You ask a very interesting question. Unfortunately, unless one is in exactly the same life circumstances as I am and walking in my shoes, it will always be difficult to relate to or understand and the response is usually one that is judgmental or critical.

I say everything that follows knowing that the critics will come calling. o_O:mad:;)
  • I have no intention of flying with passengers anytime soon. My closet friends who I go on other adventures with, are scared of flight.
  • I do not intend to’ make money’ from flying.
  • I love flight and flying the airplane. It is such a gamechanger from where my life was before I started training. Flying is teaching me life skills.
  • The idea of flying alone is appealing but my CFI is a great conversationalist and an excellent tour guide of the PNW from the skies. I love our conversations and being shown sights that I typically would not be able to find on my own. For example when flying over a mountain, my CFI will point me to an obscure trail and tell me what a great hiking route that is (because he’s been on it).Every flight with my CFI becomes a discourse on navigation, cloud formations and what they mean, etc. Every landing is analyzed. We even go outside the book and do things that regular students do not do as they seek to stay under the 60 hrs. It is fun and valuable learning, but always safer when you have your CFI with you.
  • When I fly, we don’t always just do pattern work or focus on only the requirements for the check ride / practical test. Often we fly 2 - 3 hours to nearby airports, and all the while I am getting better at aviating, navigating, communicating. I am starting to get so comfortable with the plane and flying in general.
Maybe the idea of flying alone will become appealing to me but I have a feeling that I haven’t entertained the idea because I don’t want to rush gettin there until I am more proficient in the areas I lack in.

…I know I am rambling and I am not sure if I really answered your question.

You ask a very interesting question. Unfortunately, unless one is in exactly the same life circumstances as I am and walking in my shoes, it will always be difficult to relate to or understand and the response is usually one that is judgmental or critical.

I say everything that follows knowing that the critics will come calling. o_O:mad:;)
  • I have no intention of flying with passengers anytime soon. My closet friends who I go on other adventures with, are scared of flight.
  • I do not intend to’ make money’ from flying.
  • I love flight and flying the airplane. It is such a gamechanger from where my life was before I started training. Flying is teaching me life skills.
  • The idea of flying alone is appealing but my CFI is a great conversationalist and an excellent tour guide of the PNW from the skies. I love our conversations and being shown sights that I typically would not be able to find on my own. For example when flying over a mountain, my CFI will point me to an obscure trail and tell me what a great hiking route that is (because he’s been on it).Every flight with my CFI becomes a discourse on navigation, cloud formations and what they mean, etc. Every landing is analyzed. We even go outside the book and do things that regular students do not do as they seek to stay under the 60 hrs. It is fun and valuable learning, but always safer when you have your CFI with you.
  • When I fly, we don’t always just do pattern work or focus on only the requirements for the check ride / practical test. Often we fly 2 - 3 hours to nearby airports, and all the while I am getting better at aviating, navigating, communicating. I am starting to get so comfortable with the plane and flying in general.
Maybe the idea of flying alone will become appealing to me but I have a feeling that I haven’t entertained the idea because I don’t want to rush gettin there until I am more proficient in the areas I lack in.

…I know I am rambling and I am not sure if I really answered your question.

Vin, sooner or later that 'momma bird', your cfi, needs to kick you out of the proverbial nest and let you fly on your own. He's not doing you any favors.

Last edited:
My CFI was /is happy to see me fly and return with a reusable aircraft . Its my own , that adds to his joy when making less then stellar landings. :)

Back