Sr-22 chute pull in fort Myers this evening

Floats well. Cirrus - SES. Too bad it can only land once.

plane-crash-caloosahatchee.png

Thankfully, no injuries to the crew.

The only thing injured was the english language. “We just hear like a boom,” Hinson said. “It was crazy. It was like shocked our head.” :rolleyes:

What, you’ve never had your like head shocked?

The only thing injured was the english language. “We just hear like a boom,” Hinson said. “It was crazy. It was like shocked our head.” :rolleyes:

It makes more sense if you read it with a redneck accent.

It makes more sense if you read it with a redneck accent.

Translated to redneck.

I was outside walkin' my dawg. Dawgs name is Frank. When suddenly I heered a boom.!! It was crazy.!! It done shocked my heyed, so I hollered back at my wife, ''Honey go get my gun.!!'' Frank was a barkin' his fool head off so I tole him to shut up. He shut up and proceed with his usual night time fudgin' in my neighbors yard. Then I seen these folks, so I walked over and axed, ''Hey, y'all arright.??'' And this one guy smiles at me. I thought he was a goin' to ax me if'n I like movies about gladiators, but he just said, ''yep, we're arright''.

The most important point is everyone came out alive and walking.

Good ending, I believe this is a populated area, pilot maneuvered over the water and pulled. From other venues, flight instructor and student, throttle jammed at low/no power. Pilot maneuvered over to water and pulled. Both walked away.

Don't be harsh. Just some random witness out having fun with a younger cousin being put on the spot by a reporter. I think Boom shocked our head provides a perfect mental sound picture. I was interviewed once by a reporter. I’m pretty sure not a single English word came out in that three minutes of mental agony.

Another good outcome for GA is my takeaway. Wish I could afford to fly a Cirrus. Would do so without shame.

Another good outcome for GA is my takeaway. Wish I could afford to fly a Cirrus. Would do so without shame.
You can buy a C182 and put a BRS in it. Though with the current C182 prices...

Good ending, I believe this is a populated area, pilot maneuvered over the water and pulled. From other venues, flight instructor and student, throttle jammed at low/no power. Pilot maneuvered over to water and pulled. Both walked away.
He ended up in the river very close to the canal I live on, we are just offset from the final for rwy 5 at kfmy. If the power was stuck at idle and no way to get it to the runway the river is probably the best option. The only open area between there and the runway are a couple of golf courses. Best bet would be get over the upwind side of the river and pull.

Is there a chance that the airframe is salvageable with the water strike.

Is there a chance that the airframe is salvageable with the water strike.

I was wondering the same thing. The jump plane at our airport had engine trouble and overshot the runway and bounced into the Bay. The pilot and four jumpers got out ok.

jump plane.jpg

I can only imagine the corrosion problems when a plane has been submerged in salt water.

A Cirrus airframe is fiberglass. All the metal parts can be removed and replaced, in principle.

Just the same, there are a lot of metal parts, so you’re right. Control surfaces, linkages, seats, doors, wiring and everything electrical. Not to mention the avionics, engine, prop, and engine accessories.

They aren’t always written off when they land on land, and you don’t have the water damage issues to deal with. I’d guess it’s less likely to come back into service than a land landing.

The comment about the wing hitting the water and concern by Cirrus over damage to the spar makes sense to me. It'll be interesting to see if this one gets fixed.

This one won’t get fixed.

I always thought a chute pull was a guaranteed total loss.

isn’t the structure of the aircraft crushed to absorb impact forces ?

The chute straps are embedded into the fiberglass, so you’ll have plenty of fiberglass repair work. The landing gear is designed to absorb the impact. I think your looking at $100k or more in repairs if it landed on the airport grounds. Pulling a plane out of water, replacing all avionics because of the salt water, etc etc .
Not to mention the devaluation when you try to resell it…I’d be hoping for it to be totaled.

The chute straps are embedded into the fiberglass, so you’ll have plenty of fiberglass repair work. The landing gear is designed to absorb the impact. I think your looking at $100k or more in repairs if it landed on the airport grounds. Pulling a plane out of water, replacing all avionics because of the salt water, etc etc .
Not to mention the devaluation when you try to resell it…I’d be hoping for it to be totaled.
Does cirrus provide guidance for inspection and repair after a pull?

Last edited:
Back