How to find a plane when away from home - e.g. KFKS

AndyMac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andy
So you guys are pretty knowledgeable... I'm on vacation for a couple weeks and am thinking about trying to find a plane to fly a couple times while I'm up here. I've been to the airport and found a flyer for one plane I could (learn, then check out in, then) rent, but there are no flight schools. I don't know if I'd be pushing my luck to try to find something a little closer to my experience.

Part of me thinks, surely someone has a 172 they don't fly enough, that might rent it to someone that showed competancy (and other important qualities I'm sure). The other part of me thinks, who in their right mind would let a stranger use their plane.

Do any of you all have experience with this? Do you think I might luck out if I put a wanted ad up in the FBO? Would I be better hanging around the community T hanger for an afternoon? Is this a foolish endeavor?

Thanks!

Not impossible, but exremely unlikely to find any 'private' owner interested in what you propose. Think about whatever insurance hoops they might have to jump through, simply not worth it for short term. And, as you mentioned, the 'stranger' factor would be huge.

I agree the likelihood of finding a private owner who will hand yo the keys is extremely small. Sometimes airports have a few folks who do that with their airplanes, like the flyer you found. Private owners and small flying clubs that are only known locally. Best bet is to ask someone with local knowledge. The folks at the FBO might have some ideas.

So you guys are pretty knowledgeable... I'm on vacation for a couple weeks and am thinking about trying to find a plane to fly a couple times while I'm up here. I've been to the airport and found a flyer for one plane I could (learn, then check out in, then) rent, but there are no flight schools. I don't know if I'd be pushing my luck to try to find something a little closer to my experience.

Part of me thinks, surely someone has a 172 they don't fly enough, that might rent it to someone that showed competancy (and other important qualities I'm sure). The other part of me thinks, who in their right mind would let a stranger use their plane.

Do any of you all have experience with this? Do you think I might luck out if I put a wanted ad up in the FBO? Would I be better hanging around the community T hanger for an afternoon? Is this a foolish endeavor?

Thanks!
Would you be satisfied to fly with a CFI riding shotgun?

I've found it easiest to simply rent a C172 or similar with a local CFI from the same flight school. CFI likes it since s/he's getting paid but not really giving a lesson, I have a tour guide who helps me see the best local places and someone who knows the airspace, ATC, etc. Dramatically reduces my 'I've never flown here before' workload and I can enjoy the flight a lot more.

Works great if you just want to fly an hour or two and don't want to go through the checkout rigamarole.

Back