Dumbest Beginner Questions?

Robert Gee

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RBG
...and they ended up passing? Should be some doozies...and I wonder how Stoopid mine would be if I came into a fortune. Or what have you asked only to realize there might actually be some stupid questions?

...this is my submission for CFIs. What is the biggest or nicest or fastest plane you would or have given some primary training in? Could I book a single pilot Lear, sit in the right seat and actually log something real? Somewhat a serious question though, iv had more than a handful of instruction
of instruction but they were 2 decades ago. I'm in the serious mode of a plan to pick it up n the fall and was thinking of paying up for a few early hours in something nice. Before the reality of a C152 etc. Is HP or complex time even thinkable? It would be an aspirational or motivation I think even if I only went for a sport certificate.

Thanks,
ILL get me a FAR soon.

It would be legal to take your basic flight lessons in a 747, but I doubt anyone has written the check for that one.

I’ve practically given VERY BASIC instruction in a A-4 skyhawk. The T-2s were down for an extended period, so they sent primary students directly to advanced, skipping intermediate.

So, about ANY plane is fine to learn in from the beginning. It’s just likely gonna take longer, exacerbating the cost issue. So no legalities, no technical issues. I suggested a very good friend of mine buy a 182 to learn in. Him and his son (both 275 lb big guys) did great. Better than trying to keep a 150 airborne at the very edge of its capability.

As mentioned tongue in cheek above, but actually true, the hardest part is finding a practical instructor. Many instructors are funny animals. I’ve seen quite a few simply refuse to instruct once they move up to corporate or more, because it’s beneath them... arg.

Hehe, I’ve actually taught student pilots in a single engine turboprop. No problem. Which, actually, is how I learned as well.

I’d be more comfortable giving a first lesson from the right seat of a jet than a Cessna any day. Two people in ANY business jet, density altitude, 20 kts gusting, don’t really matter. You CAN fly those by the numbers, little planes require air sense, MUCH more difficult to teach and learn.

I think China air puts guys off the street in Lears, then 747s.

Last edited:
Hehe, I’ve actually taught student pilots in a single engine turboprop. No problem. Which, actually, is how I learned as well.

But those students were well-vetted before they showed up - four-year degree, commissioned as officers. Their qualifications were something more than having a credit card.

Insurance, especially to solo, will be crazy expensive as the plane complexity and speed increase. So if you can get insured or are wealthy enough to self insure (not just plane but damage to others) you could technically solo in anything not requiring two pilots. The two pilot restrictions will take out many of the business jets and bigger.

I think it would be cool to learn in a tbm 940 or Pilatus PC12.

Many (civilian) here have done all instruction in HP. I think most military pilots have done primary instruction in HP and Complex.

I learned in a trainer, purposely chose to come back to flying in a trainer and knowing what I know now, would start in a trainer again. Military pilots start in HP complex airplanes.... mostly. But remember, the services want candidates who can handle extreme pressure, are super intelligent and fast learners. They have a program that weeds out people who can't perform at that level.

Recreational GA pilots don't need to be at that level to be safe pilots, corporate and airline pilots do need to perform at a higher level than a private pilot, they get ratings and recurrent training that tests their ability to perform and continue to perform at that level.

I've seen a few students now, struggle to get their ppl in HP aircraft, some have quit, some have taken many more hours than I think it would've taken had they flown slower airplanes.

Are you safer learning in a HP airplane? Probably not, I've been checked out in HP aircraft and I've noticed instructors seem more tense when doing things like stalls (SR22 where the manufacturer tells you the only recovery from a spin is the chute) or power off landings, where you are zipping along at 75+ MPH close to the ground trying make the runway. It just seems much more relaxed in a trainer that can be normally recovered from a spin, or is traveling at 50 MPH over the runway close to the ground.

I was told when I got my PPL, many times, that it is just the beginning of the learning process of aviation, not the end. Truer words never spoken. Work your way up to your dream airplane if you are just starting out, and enjoy the ride.

Thanks all. I'm going to buy an extra Lotto ticket on this info today.
It wouldn't be for all instruction, more as a treat or to compare/contrast the knowledge base so I wondered if it was even allowed. For example, one outfit I know that has both a Cherokee and an Arrow and reading about the wing differences I think experiencing them in proximity would be beneficial. I expect to do the same with instructors, hope y'all aren't the jealous type. Looking for CFIs in the DAL area Cute Flying Instructor if not Cheap
While researching around I see rental prices for some Mooney or Arrow etc. types that are the same or not much more than a 172 so why not? I'm scouting for Ercoupes that are near me as well.

"Single pilot Lear", no such thing.
Hi, That guy. Thanks for letting yourself known
I'll just nix the Lear off the list and go Citation then, I'd be like a humble Sheik and have to say I too learned in a Cessna.

A friend of mine, a CFI, soloed his son in his 16th birthday in a Piper Arrow, Extra 300, Nanchang CJ6, Skybolt, and a Beech Queen Air. He wanted to also solo him in an L-39 but the FAA intervened and said no.

The most advanced thing I've done primary in is a C-206. Takes a few more hours, but otherwise not a problem.

I wouldn't mind being an anecdote opposed to the 16yo example and get hired on a 737 @Southwest for my 59th birthday. Self edit, I just saw mandatory retirement is now 65 and maybe going higher so less pressure now.

As mentioned tongue in cheek above, but actually true, the hardest part is finding a practical instructor. Many instructors are funny animals. I’ve seen quite a few simply refuse to instruct once they move up to corporate or more, because it’s beneath them... arg.

This is the VERY reason I got my sport CFI rating.

I have taught several private pilots in 182’s, one in a Cherokee 235, and one in a Bellanca Cruisemaster (nearly every endorsement required). Started one in a 206, but he never finished, I don’t know why, he just stopped flying.

I don’t teach or even fly multi-engine so never been an option to even try.

Brian

Back