737 down off Honolulu

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
Just saw on CNBC. No more details other than a freighter

what the hell does this have to do with the crash?

"
Boeing's 737 MAX was cleared to fly by regulators late last year after a 20-month grounding following two accidents that killed hundreds of people.
"

Was it a MAX? Did the accident have anything to do with what caused the MAX to crash? The media does everything it can to sensationalize every article. what a disgraceful shame. Reuters used to be better than that.

Wow, so close to making it back to the airport. It is better to crash under full control than lose it trying to make it back.

what the hell does this have to do with the crash?

"
Boeing's 737 MAX was cleared to fly by regulators late last year after a 20-month grounding following two accidents that killed hundreds of people.
"

Was it a MAX? Did the accident have anything to do with what caused the MAX to crash? The media does everything it can to sensationalize every article. what a disgraceful shame. Reuters used to be better than that.
Hey, I can write like that too! "The driver of a 2018 Ford Explorer lost control of the vehicle Saturday on Highway 27, and struck two trees, a fencepost and a fire hydrant. The driver was arrested for suspected DUI. In 1978 a recall was issued for 1.5 million Ford vehicles because of defective design that caused numerous injuries and fatalities, and resulted in a jury verdict of $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $3.5 million in punitive damages against Ford Motor Company, after the jury found the company had acted in conscious disregard of safety."

How'd I do? Can I get a J-school degree now?

Glad to hear crew is safe... after a night ocean ditching no less.

Will be interesting to follow and see what the NTSB says the cause was. Wonder if they accidently shut down the "good engine". I've never flown twins but I have been told that it's not uncommon to get caught up in the stress of the moment and accidently shut down the wrong engine in an emergency.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Contamination seems likely. As much as I dislike Boeing,I bet we won't be able to pin this on those dirty dogs.

Agree, this bird has been flying for a long time so not likely a design issue. The 200's I recall have a pretty good safety record.

Remember flying Southwest 200's with the "club seating" in the first two rows so you could play footsie with the stranger across from you that you never met before.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Was a -200? That could be the problem... TTAF/E, 2,000,000 hrs... or so.

Bravo for surviving that one!

And yes, it is easy to shut down the wrong engine. Sim instructors in the navy could talk ya into that easy! Uh, or so I’m told....

Very good. A+. You're already a master at biasing a story.

One can't trust anything the media say anymore. What's the latest survey? Only 23% of people trust the media? What's wrong with that 23%?

Hey, I can write like that too! "The driver of a 2018 Ford Explorer lost control of the vehicle Saturday on Highway 27, and struck two trees, a fencepost and a fire hydrant. The driver was arrested for suspected DUI. In 1978 a recall was issued for 1.5 million Ford vehicles because of defective design that caused numerous injuries and fatalities, and resulted in a jury verdict of $2.5 million in compensatory damages and $3.5 million in punitive damages against Ford Motor Company, after the jury found the company had acted in conscious disregard of safety."

You are up to par with today's urinalists.

Contamination seems likely. As much as I dislike Boeing,I bet we won't be able to pin this on those dirty dogs.
As long as you're looking at this in an unbiased way....

Where'd you read that?
42% of all statistics are made up on the spot

..even if people "don't trust" the media the world around us still shapes our subconscious perception of reality. People and organizations with a huge audience base need to stay vigilant of that

Where'd you read that? ;)

Nauga,
and his media blitz
The numbers vary, but here's one: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyme...-than-ever-before-trust-the-mainstream-media/

The last line of that article: Coming in even lower, with the trust of just 21% of these respondents? Journalists.

More: https://news.gallup.com/poll/321116/americans-remain-distrustful-mass-media.aspx

When we aviators read stories on aviation and see the glaring errors, we have no choice but to wonder about everything else those people write.

Of course, those links I posted were written by journalists, too. Are those factual numbers? Or are the numbers actually way worse?

Of course, those links I posted were written by journalists, too.
That was the joke. 'It says in this article, "Don't trust the media."' 'Yeah, but you can't believe *anything* they say.'

Nauga,
and Foghorn Leghorn

Was a -200? That could be the problem... TTAF/E, 2,000,000 hrs... or so.

Bravo for surviving that one!

And yes, it is easy to shut down the wrong engine. Sim instructors in the navy could talk ya into that easy! Uh, or so I’m told....

So uh, didja get it restarted in time?:D

Ditching at night, that musta been fun. What's the old saying with night off airport landings about landing lights, 'turn em on, if you don't like what you see, turn em back off.' Has anyone found what the weather was yet? What phase the moon was in? Youse guys who fly with radar altimeters, would you use it to time a roundout/flare?

thanks for the live ATC link.. interesting stuff... damn

In the 11th minute of the ATC recording, the crew says they are going to lose the second engine and that it was "running hot." That sounds like a maintenance induced issue, and reminds me of the Eastern Airlines L-1011 that lost all three engines while enroute from Miami to Nassau in 1983.

The magnetic chip detectors in the engines had been replaced during overnight maintenance, and were installed without the required o-rings. The crew managed to restart one engine and made it back to Miami safely.

Is there any other condition that would fit the circumstances of the situation? Within eleven minutes after takeoff, they lost both engines and went down.

B minus, but passing grade. What we were looking for was at least a paragraph about how many musicians have died in aviation accidents at age 27 and at least some mention of Henry Ford’s mistresses.

Luvflyin... you weren’t reading carefully, “so I’ve heard...”. Well, actually, no. No I didn’t. Ya caught me...

Yes, flaring with a radar altimeter is TOTALLY feasible.

Luvflyin... you weren’t reading carefully, “so I’ve heard...”. Well, actually, no. No I didn’t. Ya caught me...

Yes, flaring with a radar altimeter is TOTALLY feasible.
GPWS calling “50, 40, 30, 20, 10” works better. ;)

I think the tower did a nice job - could hear her voice breaking up a bit on the next un-related call. Must be rough thinking they didn't make it.

Back