Overcoming extreme nervous/irrational fears

Don't sweat it. Yes, some pilots (usually young) have soloed in as little as 5 hours, but 20 is more typical, and some go 50 or even 100 before it suddenly "clicks" and they go on to be good pilots. Flying with a different instructor is a good idea, sometimes a different perspective is all it takes to make it click.

All I can add to what others have said is that airplanes want to fly, and don't need a pilot trying to force it to do something. Relax, use a gentle touch, accept that the wind is going to bounce you around a bit.

Chair fly.

Chair fly a lot.

When you're in the plane, let your instructor land it a time or two with you following on the controls. Burn those good landings into your brain, and then visualize them over and over again while you chair fly. Sit in a chair at home, no distractions, then in your mind fly around and around the pattern, landing after landing. Verbalize all your radio callouts, move your hands and feet as you imagine working the flight controls.

The point is to get as much of the flying as possible to be muscle memory, or close to it. You want your actions to become nearly automatic.

A few other points:

- Cut yourself some slack. This isn't a race to see how few hours you need to learn to land. Many people (like me) take much longer to learn landings, and that's okay. Everyone has a rough landing once in a while, even after many many hours, and you only have 10, so try not to stress over it.

- Make sure you're sitting high enough in the plane to have a good view over the cowl. I'm vertically challenged (5'3") and using a cushion made a tremendous difference in my landings.

- As you begin your roundout, do not try to look at the end of the runway. You cannot look at a point a mile away and judge whether your plane is 3' or 8' off the surface. The perspective is all wrong. Instead, try looking just a few hundred feet ahead, like two or three runway stripes out. Then, as you begin to round out, shift your gaze outward down the runway. (In fact, you'll be forced to do this as you bring the nose up, as it will obscure the near view of the runway.)

- Shoot for consistency. Try to be on the same airspeed on downwind every time and at the same altitude and distance from the runway. If you're not, fix your downwind so you don't have to struggle fixing the base or final legs. Flying the downwind consistently will help you be consistent with your base airspeed and your final airspeed, as well as where you add flaps.

- Do some go-arounds. Knowing how to abort a botched approach, and being used to doing it, should take some of the fear away. Just knowing that, if it's looking bad, all you have to do is shove in the throttle and go around for another try, might take off a bit of the stress. (And frankly, you should be on a hair trigger for a go-around anyway, ready to abort the landing at any instant.)

Unless you're flying a glider, you can always go around!

Good advice here. Some of us during training were anxious for different things. I was never anxious about landings - I looked forward to them and pushed myself to get better and better. For me and this went on quite a while, even after I got my PPL, I was anxious about getting in the airplane to begin with. I would talk myself out of a flight for various reasons, wind, thermals (I'm in Arizona) whatever. It took a few flights where I ran into un-forecasted cross winds where I had no choice but to land or running into turbulence that I had no choice but to just bounce around and hold on to put things into perspective. There's a saying that calm wind doesn't make a good sailor and it works with airplanes as well. We've all been there, you'll get there. It takes time and like someone said above, it isn't a race. There is no prize for getting your ticket in the shortest possible time.

What everyone else said.

This may help or not. Between takeoffs and landings, the odds of surviving a landing accident relatively unscathed are vastly better than a takeoff accident.

When landing, the goal is low and slow--a low energy situation, that is, decreasing the system's kinetic and potential energy quickly. Accidents occurring in low energy regimes are immanently survivable.

Takeoffs occur in the high energy regime. Your goal is to go fast and gain altitude, that is, increasing the system's kinetic and potential energy as fast as possible.

There are a couple of take-home lessons here.
1. Once you have taken off, the most dangerous phase of flight is over. Relax.
2. While most students takeoff well before they land well, do not take your takeoffs for granted.

As others have said, do not sweat your hours before solo. Mine were longer than "normal" because I learn by doing and my CFI understood that. Verbal advice was helpful to me, but I learn best from my mistakes and figuring out how to correct them. He spent a lot of time basically leaving me alone, ensuring our safety, and letting me figure out what the hell worked. For me, he was a great CFI, and while it took me longer to solo and longer to earn my certificate, I am a better, more humble pilot for it.

One final thing. You have to want it. Flight training is not easy. It's hard. It's unnatural. There were times we all didn't think we could do it. There is a certain amount of deferred gratification. Today was frustrating and not fun--I sucked--but I WANT to become a pilot. I'll get through it.

Domenicks lat paragraph is good encouragement and is correct. The challenge of learning to fly is not for quitters. You have to want it. Everyone meets challenges in flight training. Keep your eyes on the prize.

So I'm just under 10 hours into my PPL, and am having a problem that neither I nor my CFI have ideas on how to solve... I get extremely nervous at take off and landing (landings being the worst).

I've taken off 4-5 times, of which 2 have been "acceptable". I have a hard time staying on the center line (drifting left) and maintaining RH after lift off (again, drifting left).

Landings are absolutely terrible. Out of my 7-10 attempts, I have put two "on the ground" (calling them 'landings' would be a stretch), only one of which I accomplished the rollout. Once I get turned onto final, I have a hard time getting lined up appropriately. I know I'm not lined up, and end up over correcting (first one direction, then the other).

My CFI and I talked about it on the ground after one failed attempt, and I think I just have a fear of messing up so bad, I'm going to "break" the airplane. The CFI says he won't let that happen, and I believe him, but just hit a block the last 200-300 feet. He asked what I've done in the past to get over this kind of fear, but I haven't really faced anything that could truly be dangerous if I screw up (since I learned to drive 35+ years ago).

CFI will take me through a "normal" approach and he makes it look so easy and smooth, so I understand what it SHOULD look like, but can't associate it when I have the controls.

The CFI said he's not ready to give up on me, provided I'm not ready to give up on myself. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had doubts. I've told myself and my wife I'm going to give it another 10 hours and if there's no improvement (I don't expect perfect, I just want to see some improvement/confidence building), I may have to.

I'm debating investing in a flight sim system (with yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant) simply to build up my confidence, but I don't know if that will help.

My next lesson is with another flight instructor out of town (at Sporty's) so maybe he'll see something to help.

If you've read all of this, it's appreciated. I've debated about posting this, but didn't know who else I could share with who MAY understand what I'm going through.
Sam, I'll go the opposite of some here that are saying "you should be doing X or Z by now." I think what they meant was that they believe your CFI should have you doing these things by now.

I'm not going to comment on your CFIs methods or lesson plans.

But I will say this: dude. You're only at 10 hours. You aren't going to do everything right. Learning is incremental.

May I suggest you focus on improving in the areas you have confidence so that those areas don't suffer as a result of your nerves as they pertain to takeoffs and landings?

When I first started training you know what got me? Taxiing the damn airplane. I could NOT keep it on the yellow line. But I just filed that away mentally as a single skill that needed honing and pressed on with the myriad other skills that make a pilot.

I think you can do this. I commend you for consulting the group here. It's been heartening to see such caring responses to your plight.

If you feel the need, don't hesitate to reach out.

Sam,
I just joined this forum to write you this. I was in your shoes just a few months ago. Now I try to fly every chance I get. There's still a healthy sense of fear, but it's more of respect than true fear. It's that sense which makes me double & triple-check things, especially when flying alone. I don't think this is a bad thing. Complacency in aviation is a bad thing. I also fly with a GoPro stuck over my shoulder so I can see the instruments, controls, out the window and do a self de-brief after every flight and take notes.

I myself am currently a student pilot. I started this with zero self-confidence. More like negative self-confidence. Crashing and damaging the plane were both my biggest fears and were getting in the way of flying. When landing I'd instinctively pull back as the ground started to appear rapidly approaching. At 10 hours and ~20 landings, my CFI was pushing me to solo. "H*** NO!" was my response. He had confidence in my abilities even if I didn't.

Over the New Year's holiday I was out of town and found a CFI who owned a tail-dragger. I spent two days with him. In that two days I did ~35 landings, stalls, slow flight, etc. and full-on spin training (which he didn't tell me about). If you think the ground rapidly approacing is bad, it's even worse when your CFI decides to do unannounced spin training over the Atlantic Ocean and all you can see out the front window is water. We kept doing that until it became instinctive for me to recover. Oh, I also set my personal minimum for bottle-to-throttle time of 24 hours. 10 hours may have been legal and good enough for straight and level flying, but New Year's eve + unexpected spin training taught me that 10 hours wasn't enough in case of upset.

For me, the key to the fear of landing was knowing where to look and flying by the numbers.

First, where are you looking? Your gaze needs to change as the phases of the landing change. Let's assume you're doing a straight-in approach. At 10 miles you're still looking waaay out there until you've positively identified the field. Then you should be looking at the PAPIs/VASIs. Generally they're pretty close to the aiming point markers. As I'm getting under 100' AGL, I'll take a *quick* glance out to the side window for perspective. I'll usually sneak another one around 50' AGL. As you're about to reach the fence you need to be looking about the middle of the runway. Once you cross the fence you need to start your flare and gradually look (and stay focused) on the very far end of the runway. Don't look any closer than the VERY END of the runway until your wheels are firmly on the ground. *FLY* the plane in this, don't think about it as landing. Remember, even once you get your license, go-around should be your default. Landing is optional. Don't like it? Firewall the throttle (gently) and go around. There's no shame in a go-around. Get the airplane back up to pattern altitude, regroup, and try it again. If things are looking decent (not necessarily great), continue getting closer to the ground.

Second, flying the numbers is key. I had the nasty habit of coming in with "a little extra" altitude and speed, not wanting to stall the aircraft. This is self-defeating and makes the situation worse. The extra speed/altitude just increases your chances of a bounced landing or a very floaty one. Unless the big fan up front stops spinning more speed/altitude is always available in the throttle which your right hand should be glued to during final approach. When you have the speeds spot-on, landings become a non-event. I'm a new user so it won't let me post links, but Google Hekster Traffic Pattern. Take that diagram to your CFI and have them mark it up to match the speeds/RPMs/configuration/altitude FPM for each phase for your aircraft.

I finally felt like I was ready to solo with about 50 landings under my belt. Unfortunately the weather was uncooperative for almost a month (crosswinds too high and/or storms), so I had more dual time and had to wait to finally solo. We used the time to practice engine-outs, navigation, and all sorts of emergencies.

Finally, I soloed. Unlike what you see on YouTube, it was completely anti-climactic. On the crosswind leg, the left vacuum pump light started flickering. By the time I turned to the downwind leg, it died. The right pump decided to join it by mid-field leaving me with no vacuum system. I wasn't nervous; I was angry. I waited over a month after I felt ready now the aircraft was going to try to stop it? I pondered the implications. Vacuum powers the directional gyro and attitude indicator (artifical horizon) on a C172. I was flying VFR, in the pattern, on a clear day, at my home airport. Turn coordinator is electric and would provide bank angle info, the whiskey compass still worked, and I had a pair of working eyes. Vacuum? I didn't need any stinkin' vacuum for this flight. I did my 3 touch & goes and landed, taxiied back to the hangar, cursed at the plane as I wrote up the squawks and that was it. Just another day in the office, flying the pattern, landing, taking off, etc. The vacuum pumps dying didn't even remotely phase me.

Looking back, my CFI was right... I did have the technical skills at 10 hours. I didn't have the confidence, but I was capable of putting the plane down safely on the runway at that time even if I didn't feel comfortable with it. Trust your CFI. They're not going to let you hurt yourself.

If you're looking for greasers, just remember all of the hard/bad landings you've experienced in airliners. Those captains have 1,500+ hours, even 10,000+ hours, all sorts of technology in the cockpit, easily hundreds of thousands of dollars in training including full motions sims, and they still borked the landing that badly...and he didn't bend the plane and everyone walked away safely. For what it's worth, I know more than one airline pilot who felt like you in the beginning of their training.

Don't give up. Don't be afraid to try a different CFI if it's not clicking.

My suggestions:
1) A plane it not a car. Don't expect it to behave like one nor expect your driving skills to transfer over. My CFI said he's found youth do better in training because they don't have decades of driving experience. Wolfgang Langewiesche of Stick and Rudder fame compares the airplane more like a horse.

2) Don't worry about soloing right now. For that matter, don't worry about crashing. You have a fully qualified pilot sitting next to you. He cares about his life too. He won't let you do anything that would put his life in jeopardy.

3) Get that diagram I mentioned earlier and mark it up. Have the CFI fly the pattern with you calling out the info and watching him fly it. Do a touch-and-go. On the next one, you operate the throttle / flaps and nothing more, let him control the ailerons & elevator, again, going by the diagram and his instructions. Build your sucessful landings step-wise. When you're getting close to operating all of the controls, see if you can extend your downwind and do a long final approach. Use the time to absolutely nail a stable approach. Stable approach = checklist complete, on glide-slope, correct speed, correct power, correct configuration. and remember, you're planning on going around. If it feels even remotely decent keep getting closer to the ground. You don't have to commit to a landing until you've crossed your normal take-off abort point with your wheels still on the ground.

4) Dial up the ILS. Yes, you're a VFR pilot and yes the PAPIs should give you this information, BUT it's another tool in your arsenal. Especially if you're flying a long final approach, this will give you additional confirmation and confidence that you're on the right path horizontally and vertically. With those locked in, all that's left is airspeed to worry about.

5) Get a GoPro. Record EVERY flight. After the flight, de-brief even if just by yourself. Do watch it on a larger screen so you can see the instruments and flight controls. You'll be surprised at some of the mistakes you made, but you'll also see all that you're getting right. There's even a few small things I'm better at than my CFI and he's been teaching for 20 years.

6) Fly often. How many times a week are you flying? Shoot for at least twice a week, at a minimum. Remember what the first day of each school semester felt like? The awkwardness? The confusion? How did you get over that? Subconsciously by just doing it daily. After the first month of the semester, I bet everything felt pretty normal.

7) Go ahead and get renter's insurance. If anything happens to the plane, it's the insurance co's problem. My CFI actively teaches this. Engine out? Insurance co owns the aircraft now, screw the plane, just use it as a tool to get you down safely. Bend a prop? That's the insurance co's problem, not yours.

8) How long are you flying? I'd push for 1.5-2 flight hours per session.

9) Don't forget how far you've come. Look at all of the things you found overwhelming at first. Pre-flighting, trying to get that ornery engine to start, runway markings, radio communications, taxiing. This too shall pass, just like all of those obstacles before you.

10) With aviation, you never stop learning.

Flying isn’t for everyone.
I figured that's a given. And I guess the question I would then ask, is "how do you KNOW"? Maybe I'm one of those it "isn't for".

But I WANT this. I've wanted it for 30+ years now. Reading most of the posts in this thread has helped a lot. My flight with the other instructor got pushed a week because of storms.

I just need to keep telling myself "I can do it" and rely on the CFI to bail me out if (he thinks it's) needed.

I do thank you all for your responses.

I figured that's a given. And I guess the question I would then ask, is "how do you KNOW"? Maybe I'm one of those it "isn't for".

But I WANT this. I've wanted it for 30+ years now. Reading most of the posts in this thread has helped a lot. My flight with the other instructor got pushed a week because of storms.

I just need to keep telling myself "I can do it" and rely on the CFI to bail me out if (he thinks it's) needed.

Sam, get out and fly, go twice a week at least. Get out there, and stop worrying, it will come to you.

Edit, schedule a few times a week, and talk to your instructor about it, tell him you want to fly and you will try your best not to cancel on him, then make sure you don't cancel except for an emergency.

Being told I should be able to handle this by now just reinforces the "maybe I'm not cut out for this".

Everyone is cut out to fly. For some it just takes longer.

Relax. The airplane does most of the work, the pilot's job is to nudge it a little here and there. The aircraft we fly are inherently stable and need just small adjustments. If you're overly aggressive, it gets harder. I think it took me about 20 flights before I could reasonably land because I didn't get this.

Advice, be stubborn. There are things that are hard and you just have to keep at them until they work.

I was very nervous too. I have low risk tolerance and over analyze everything that could possibly go wrong. Like most students landings were the hardest to learn. I had a bad habit of keeping way too much speed and the root of that was the fear of stalling. Like one poster said, we are used to driving cars and when in a car going 60 mph you see the landscape whizzing by real fast. Not so in the air. The ground seems to crawl at a snail’s pace and the illusion of slow speed makes it feel like the plane is about to drop out of the sky like a rock. To this day even when I’m a passenger in a commercial airliner looking out the window before landing I feel a sense that we’re going “too slow” until we’re almost over the runway.

But you get used to it. You learn to trust your airspeed indicator and even more important the feel of the plane, the growing sight picture in the windshield and whatnot. It takes time, you’re still really early. I soloed at 18 hours. But don’t take that as any indicator, a lot depends on how often you fly, your instructor, and a bunch of other things.

If you want it badly enough, you will push through it. Best of luck!

So I'm just under 10 hours into my PPL, and am having a problem that neither I nor my CFI have ideas on how to solve... I get extremely nervous at take off and landing (landings being the worst).

I've taken off 4-5 times, of which 2 have been "acceptable". I have a hard time staying on the center line (drifting left) and maintaining RH after lift off (again, drifting left).

Landings are absolutely terrible. Out of my 7-10 attempts, I have put two "on the ground" (calling them 'landings' would be a stretch), only one of which I accomplished the rollout. Once I get turned onto final, I have a hard time getting lined up appropriately. I know I'm not lined up, and end up over correcting (first one direction, then the other).

My CFI and I talked about it on the ground after one failed attempt, and I think I just have a fear of messing up so bad, I'm going to "break" the airplane. The CFI says he won't let that happen, and I believe him, but just hit a block the last 200-300 feet. He asked what I've done in the past to get over this kind of fear, but I haven't really faced anything that could truly be dangerous if I screw up (since I learned to drive 35+ years ago).

CFI will take me through a "normal" approach and he makes it look so easy and smooth, so I understand what it SHOULD look like, but can't associate it when I have the controls.

The CFI said he's not ready to give up on me, provided I'm not ready to give up on myself. I'd be lying if I said I haven't had doubts. I've told myself and my wife I'm going to give it another 10 hours and if there's no improvement (I don't expect perfect, I just want to see some improvement/confidence building), I may have to.

I'm debating investing in a flight sim system (with yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant) simply to build up my confidence, but I don't know if that will help.

My next lesson is with another flight instructor out of town (at Sporty's) so maybe he'll see something to help.

If you've read all of this, it's appreciated. I've debated about posting this, but didn't know who else I could share with who MAY understand what I'm going through.
I've suffered from nervousness about different things than that, but I know how it feels. There's no simple trick, but I have a couple of suggestions:
  1. If there's an airport near you with a long runway (eg 8,000 to 10,000 ft), have the instructor take you there. You'll be able to do several takeoffs and landings in sequence down the runway, lifting the wheels just, say, 5 ft off the ground each time. When you get to the end of the runway, taxi back and do it over again, until it starts to feel right.
  2. Practice on your home sim a lot (but make sure you add wind and turbulence).
  3. Curl up and spend some time with good books on basic technique, like Wolfgang Langwiesche's Stick and Rudder, or Leighton Collins' Takeoffs and Landings
At some point, it will probably click for you. Everyone moves at their own pace, and needing a bit more time than average doesn't mean anything's wrong with you, or that you can't be a good pilot some day.

Keep at it. I had a few landings in my early flying time that we’re so unsettling that the instructor basically begged me to come back.

I used to hate the sight picture and had the ground rush sensation that spurred fear.
What helped me was sitting with a few different instructors to gain perspective. One taught me to come in with less flaps and slightly higher speed on final. It gives a better sight picture. Then at about 200’ agl and close to the numbers, add the last flap setting. By the time the flaps take effect you’re slowing down and setting up for a nice landing.

When I would previously set up on base to final, I felt like I was fighting with a slow and hard to control aircraft. I much prefer a plane with a little more speed to keep the flight control surfaces active.
See if your instructor will let you try.
10deg flaps on base, set trim. 20deg on turn to final, adjust trim, and 30deg on very short final.
Now almost all of my landings are at 20deg and I feel like they are very smooth(for the most part).
Oh one more thing, don’t be afraid to keep a tiny amount of power in as you approach the runway. It helps keep the nose high.

Everyone is cut out to fly. For some it just takes longer.

Uh no. I know a number of people that would be an absolute disaster at the controls of an airplane. This may or may not be the OP, but to say everyone, that's unequivocally false.

I’m gonna pile on - if u want this just stick with it and it’s just a matter of time. If it takes another 100 hours who cares? You are still flying and having fun. I don’t buy that “some people can’t fly”. Do something enough and your brain will get used to it.

I’m gonna pile on - if u want this just stick with it and it’s just a matter of time. If it takes another 100 hours who cares? You are still flying and having fun. I don’t buy that “some people can’t fly”. Do something enough and your brain will get used to it.
Nah, it’s true some people can’t fly. The ones that give up.

Flying low approaches that eventually get slower and lower until the wheels touch (without worrying about where on the runway you end up landing) is a technique that works for some people, but that is up to your instructor to evaluate and determine if it works for you.

I think this can be a useful approach because there is a lot going on quickly in a normal landing.

But fundamentally flying the airplane down into ground effect over the runway and letting it slow slow down will land the airplane.

Also consider practice at altitude, pretending it is the ground, to remove some of the fear of the ground which can crop up.

@Sam Gordon

Idk if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but as you approach the runway to land, the spot on the pavement that doesn't appear to be moving in the windscreen is where the airplane is going to touch. Use this to your advantage.

Of the POH says approach at 80kts, then approach at 80kts. Test pilots are smart.

You will succeed

@Sam Gordon

Idk if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but as you approach the runway to land, the spot on the pavement that doesn't appear to be moving in the windscreen is where the airplane is going to touch. Use this to your advantage.

Of the POH says approach at 80kts, then approach at 80kts. Test pilots are smart.

You will succeed

But those numbers are for gross weight. Depending on loading that POH speed could be 10% or more too fast. Some POHs are nice and give numbers for varying weights.

But those numbers are for gross weight. Depending on loading that POH speed could be 10% or more too fast. Some POHs are nice and give numbers for varying weights.
You don't know that without looking at the POH for whatever he's flying. Often there's a nifty little graph for such purposes. But we're trying to encourage the continuation of the pursuit of a dream, not encumber the freshman with drivel about the nuances of operating limitations.

Also, the visual trick I provided is useful regardless of the book numbers while trying to just learn how to fly an airplane by visual references and the seat of your a$$.

The CFI can take care of the rest.

A personal experience relevant to this topic. Yesterday I had my first flight back after an absence, about 4 hours in a month. Good news, it’s like falling off a bicycle, you never forget how.

Over the course of the flight, I saw that I was tense and nervous about doing well. That manifested in me unconsciously tightening up on the yoke, pulling the nose up a little and losing a little airspeed. I caught it first doing slow flight when 60 became 55, heading toward the 48 stall speed. It showed up again in landings when i looked down and found myself 5 kts under target speed, 60 instead of 65. My landings were a little rough as we ran out of energy a little early and flopped down.

my prescription for myself might help the OP too. Relax and loosen the grip on the yoke. Next flight I’m going to try flying a well trimmed plane using my fingertips and looking out for the tension that is making me put the back pressure on the yoke. I’m willing to bet my landings get a lot better too ;).

A personal experience relevant to this topic. Yesterday I had my first flight back after an absence, about 4 hours in a month. Good news, it’s like falling off a bicycle, you never forget how.

Over the course of the flight, I saw that I was tense and nervous about doing well. That manifested in me unconsciously tightening up on the yoke, pulling the nose up a little and losing a little airspeed.

That is a good observation. I call it "the prune effect," where you shrivel up in your seat and assume a partially fetal position as a response to fear or uncertainty.

Again, because we have all grown up driving cars, there is a learned tendency to pull on the steering wheel and press on the brake pedal when things go bad in a car. Reacting that way in an airplane during landings always results in a pitch up and yaw right. I've seen it many times...

Putting more effort into keeping the pitch trimmed helps, but until you recognize what you are unconsciously doing, the prune effect will get you every time. :mad2:

Just re-read what I wrote...my time was about 4 hours in 6 months. it felt good to be in the air again.

... it’s like falling off a bicycle, you never forget how...

I think the better simile would be "...it's like riding a bicycle..." that seems more appropriate to flying an airplane. Falling off a bike seems more like crashing one. Just sayin...

I think the better simile would be "...it's like riding a bicycle..." that seems more appropriate to flying an airplane. Falling off a bike seems more like crashing one. Just sayin...

:D:D:D

@Sam Gordon : One more thought -- talk with your CFI and see if you can ride shotgun with some other students.

Due to a scheduling foul-up, my CFI was double-booked on the day of my solo. I had plenty of time, so I told him to take the other student first. He had me hop in the back and enjoy the ride. The other pilot was working on their instrument rating. Nice guy...but he let the airplane really get ahead of him that day. After seeing his performance, I realized I was a lot further along than I was giving myself credit for.

I'm a new sport CFI (April this year). I've been flying with a "student" for the past 4 years, before getting my CFI. She knows all the maneuvers and we've been working on T&Ls lately in a Rans S6S. Some of her landings are nearly PERFECT, some are not. I harp on her to coach herself verbally, tell me what she's doing every step of the way from lift off to crosswind, down wind, base, etc. I want her to tell me speeds, flap settings, altitudes, what she's looking at (FOV), everything. I've found that when she does this, her landings are better. When she starts getting lax on what she's telling me, the landings deteriorate pretty rapidly.

The low approach method works VERY well. My CFI CFI :) demonstrated the low approach as slow flight, straight down the runway about 6" off the ground. We'd even "kiss" the runway occasionally, sometimes more than once on the same pass.

You've had a student for 4 years?

And....you're not a student anymore?.........I guess you know EVERYTHING? I'm still a student myself, I learn something new every day. :)
Dude, relax. Of course I continue to learn and in that sense I am a student of life. I don't know everything. For example, I didn't understand your earlier reference and asked for clarification. Now I do understand your earlier post.

Dude, relax. Of course I continue to learn and in that sense I am a student of life. I don't know everything. For example, I didn't understand your earlier reference and asked for clarification. Now I do understand your earlier post.

Sorry, that was probably a "knee-jerk" reaction on my part, lol. Sometimes, when I start reading some of the crap on here, I just have to "go-away". Anyway, oops. :)

Finally things coming together . Made my 300th landing yesterday in a cross wind . Cross wind landing have been tough sledding , the last 5 landings have been great . 89 hours now , 40 solo. Been flying every other day except week ends . I'm retired so have the time during the week to do so. Weather has been beautiful but heating up in to the 90's before noon every day .

Just happy it's coming together . Lot more to go before flight test but happy with the landings and cordinated flight. Lots of climbing turns -descents , turn around the points , s turns , slow flight , etc.

Some Days I just fly for the fun of it . Check out the crops , haying , neighbors projects , local scenery . Lots of variation of topography .Oil fields , Alkali flats , rim country , hill country ,farm country , cattle country.

Lots of pattern work , working with different runways to work on cross wind landings .
I'm happy . :)

... Some Days I just fly for the fun of it . Check out the crops , haying , neighbors projects , local scenery . Lots of variation of topography .Oil fields , Alkali flats , rim country , hill country ,farm country , cattle country...
Sometimes with the stress and pressure of training, the joy of flight is lost. I'm glad you have maintained it. Occasionally, I'll glance out at the top of my wing, forget the physics, and just let myself be amazed.

Sometimes with the stress and pressure of training, the joy of flight is lost. I'm glad you have maintained it. Occasionally, I'll glance out at the top of my wing, forget the physics, and just let myself be amazed.

I do that when flying with my 4 year student........just let her fly the plane while I watch/look outside (or nap, lol)

Back