SI & BasicMed

A

Anonymous

I have an non-HIMS SI for a resolved mental health condition, but the HIMS psychiatrist who did my evaluation suggested I continue monthly therapy to show the FAA that the issue continues to be resolved. I've renewed my 3rd class twice since then, but am now considering BasicMed. My therapist and I don't feel I need therapy anymore, but I'm concerned if I stop, I might have issues getting another third class in the future (my SI requires therapy records). Thoughts on this?

Is there a specific reason you anticipate needing a 3rd class in the future, like flying into Canada? If so, continue what you’re doing.

If not, Luigi nailed it - go Basic Med and put your FAA medical worries behind you.

Is there a specific reason you anticipate needing a 3rd class in the future, like flying into Canada? If so, continue what you’re doing.

If not, Luigi nailed it - go Basic Med and put your FAA medical worries behind you.

I'm a CFII, so future safety pilot issues are a concern.

Go Basic Med and don't look back.

Obviously, but that wasn't the question. The question was, do I keep up the therapy in case I need a 3rd class again. I'm a CFII, so this is a good possibility.

I'm a CFII, so future safety pilot issues are a concern.

I believe to be a safety pilot with Basic Med you would need also to be PIC. Will you be serving as a Safety Pilot in a circumstance where you couldn’t log PIC?

BUT, it seems silly to let a possible and unknown aviation consideration determine whether or not to continue therapy. My advice is to make medical decisions on the basis of medical needs and deal with aviation as a secondary and separate concern.

Last edited:
I have an non-HIMS SI for a resolved mental health condition, but the HIMS psychiatrist who did my evaluation suggested I continue monthly therapy to show the FAA that the issue continues to be resolved. I've renewed my 3rd class twice since then, but am now considering BasicMed. My therapist and I don't feel I need therapy anymore, but I'm concerned if I stop, I might have issues getting another third class in the future (my SI requires therapy records). Thoughts on this?

Out of curiosity, what would a typical monthly therapy session cost for the purposes of maintaining the SI?

Suggesting and requiring are two different things!!

True. But the SI does require therapy notes.

Maybe I'll just used this as tacit permission to continue therapy (the pandemic has sucked, after all) but go to every other month or quarterly.

I believe to be a safety pilot with Basic Med you would need also to be PIC. Will you be serving as a Safety Pilot in a circumstance where you couldn’t log PIC?

BUT, it seems silly to let a possible and unknown aviation consideration determine whether or not to continue therapy. My advice is to make medical decisions on the basis of medical needs and deal with aviation as a secondary and separate concern.

You have to be acting as PIC to serve as safety pilot under BasicMed. So, for example, I couldn't teach in someone else's plane where I wouldn't be on the insurance.

You have to be acting as PIC to serve as safety pilot under BasicMed. So, for example, I couldn't teach in someone else's plane where I wouldn't be on the insurance.

Ah! Understood.

Of course, if the situation ever comes up, you could ask the student to add you as “additional insured.”

Add quote: “I’m a cfii”

What does insurance have to do with acting as PIC as a cfi or medical certification?

Last edited:
I still don’t think it applies to a CFI OR CFII.
A CFI acting as a safety pilot is still a CFI, as CFI’s are allowed to do instrument training, just not as in a capacity that requires making endorsements as a CFII.

Same for a CFII.

Since when is Basic Med not a level of medical certification. It’s regulated by the FAA, FORMS approved by the faa, and data required to be transmitted to faa. It’s just a new level of medical certification.
A CFI or CFII is allowed to instruct and receive compensation for such on either Third class or Basic Med. Acting as a safety pilot becomes a moot issue.
Yes, the regs are vague, and are unclear as regards the Basic Med issue. But, the FAA isn’t going to pursue action on such unless there was intended malfeasance involved.

And I still don’t see how insurance comes into the picture as most policies have clauses to include coverage for CFI’s providing instruction for the primary insured. Acting as a a safety pilot will certainly come under that.

the article referenced has no mention of CFI’s or CFII’s or insurance for such.

Last edited:
Here, I think, is the OP's point:
Suppose I own an airplane and want an IPC, which means spending time under the hood. So I hire the OP, who is a CFII but has only Basic Med and not a 3rd class. In the eyes of the FAA, this would be completely legal *IF* the OP acts as PIC for the flight.

However, even if this is OK with me, and with the OP/CFII, and with the FAA, it may not be OK with my insurance company. They might want anyone acting as PIC listed specifically by name (rather than just with an open-CFI clause of some sort). Maybe they want a certain number of hours in make and model which the OP doesn't have.

If the OP wants to keep his options open -- able to instruct hood work under a variety of scenarios, including those where he's not acting as PIC -- this is a legitimate question.

Insurance is just one example of how this might come up. Maybe I (as the airplane owner) am just not comfortable handing over the PIC reins, or the OP isn't comfortable accepting them.

Last edited:
Here, I think, is the OP's point:
Suppose I own an airplane and want an IPC, which means spending time under the hood. So I hire the OP, who is a CFII but has only Basic Med and not a 3rd class. In the eyes of the FAA, this would be completely legal *IF* the OP acts as PIC for the flight.

However, even if this is OK with me, and with the OP/CFII, and with the FAA, it may not be OK with my insurance company. They might want anyone acting as PIC listed specifically by name (rather than just with an open-CFI clause of some sort). Maybe they want a certain number of hours in make and model which the OP doesn't have.

If the OP wants to keep his options open -- able to instruct hood work under a variety of scenarios, including those where he's not acting as PIC -- this is a legitimate question.

Insurance is just one example of how this might come up. Maybe I (as the airplane owner) am just not comfortable handing over the PIC reins, or the OP isn't comfortable accepting them.

Yes, exactly this.

Sounds like continuing therapy under a reduced schedule might be the safest course of action for me to protect a future 3rd class. Thanks, everyone! Just needed to talk it out, I guess.

Bumping this up, because I ran across this thread today and small world, have OCD as well: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...al-for-third-class-medical-due-to-ocd.135605/

Specifically, the OP's denial and this comment concern me: "OCD is considered a lifelong disorder, and this sounds to me like they're saying OCD requires continued CBT to make sure things are in check. I suspect if you were in active treatment they may have been more willing to further consider your application."

My therapist is unwilling to consider further therapy at this time, since there's really no indication. It sounds like this leaves me in a tough spot if I need a third class in the future. Suggestions for me?

Bumping this up, because I ran across this thread today and small world, have OCD as well: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...al-for-third-class-medical-due-to-ocd.135605/

Specifically, the OP's denial and this comment concern me: "OCD is considered a lifelong disorder, and this sounds to me like they're saying OCD requires continued CBT to make sure things are in check. I suspect if you were in active treatment they may have been more willing to further consider your application."

My therapist is unwilling to consider further therapy at this time, since there's really no indication. It sounds like this leaves me in a tough spot if I need a third class in the future. Suggestions for me?

Find a new therapist.

If you agree that further therapy isn't indicated, have the therapist write a discharge summary with a plan to follow up annually.

Being able to log PIC is irrelevant to the Basic Med as safety pilot thing.
Currently, you actually need to be qualified to be PIC.

This however is changing. The medical for commercial balloon operators NPRM also removes the limitations on basic med. Any required crewmember will soon be eligible. The comment period closes January 18. Expect the final rule 45 days later (early March).

Being able to log PIC is irrelevant to the Basic Med as safety pilot thing.
Currently, you actually need to be qualified to be PIC.

This however is changing. The medical for commercial balloon operators NPRM also removes the limitations on basic med. Any required crewmember will soon be eligible. The comment period closes January 18. Expect the final rule 45 days later (early March).

Any required crewmember would solve my problem! Thanks for letting me know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back