Do you check for bullet holes in your preflight?

Just for the record, I endorse this neither with arrows or jarts. What I liked is the “used to” part. :biggrin:
I know the immediate family has them somewhere but I'm not sure where they are at or else it wouldn't be past tense. :eek:

My question is how a round came from above. Someone had to be shooting down at him. Am I the only one who finds this odd?
Nope. You can shoot upwards at quite an angle and have the bullet come down with a bunch of energy, easily enough to punch a hold in a TBM or a head. It is possible to shoot straight up and have the bullet use all of its energy in the climb (see MythBusters) but if it doesn't, it will come down at more than terminal speed (which would just make a dent) and bad things could happen.

Lawn darts was the best game ever when I was a kid in the 60s....

Especially at night...:lol:

Most-Exciting-Outdoor-Game-Today.jpg

It is a wonder any of us survived our childhood.
Lobotomy in a box.

I know the immediate family has them somewhere but I'm not sure where they are at or else it wouldn't be past tense. :eek:
No problem with jarts present tense...just the self-targeting part of the game. ;)

It is a wonder any of us survived our childhood.
I broke my arm on two separate occasions, an ankle, and had number of stitches..

To this day it surprises me when I meet someone who's never broken a bone!

I broke my arm on two separate occasions, an ankle, and had number of stitches..

To this day it surprises me when I meet someone who's never broken a bone!

Growing up on a farm with no electricity , phone ,running water . Mother was the expert rural Doctor.
Exposed bone and major bleeding were the only "got to get em to the doctor". Ailments.
The rest, the pioneer sprit and a home medical book from the turn of the century sufficed .
After 1948 we moved to a town that had a doctor . By then we had survived all the major childhood trauma of barbed wire cuts , smashed digits, horse throws , pig riding , pitch fork stabbing , near drowndings burns (cook stove induced) that life could throw at us. ;)

No broken bones but some cracked ribs. Back in the day the coach would just say, "walk it off kid" or "just rub some dirt on it!"

I was lucky to have never had my coach say things like that to me...

I was on the rifle team, though.

Yes, but that was much safer. I'm coming up on 20,000 hours on shooting ranges, from junior and college rifle teams, through coaching college and a looooonnnnnng career as a competitor in rifle, pistol, and a little trap.

I've never seen anyone injured. Not one person, in all that time. That's what relentless attention to safety can do.

No broken bones but some cracked ribs. Back in the day the coach would just say, "walk it off kid" or "just rub some dirt on it!"
I've had the misfortune to see a forearm fracture to the point the hand was twisted around the wrong way, twice, and both times it was because the person stuck out an arm to try to stop themselves falling: once in high school rugby tryouts (I didn't make the team, but at least I didn't break anything), and once in university judo practice. Despite that one person's mistake, judo is good at training you to take a fall properly.

Didn’t break any until adulthood. Motorcycles, hang gliding, etc.
Yah my bad I let my bike hurt me at the age of 21. Don't ride bikes anymore took up flying as a hobby, much safer IMHO....:rolleyes:

I never broke any of my own major bones...

I did split my shin open on the way to a race once. I put a pressure bandage on it trying to stop the blood. By the time I got to the track it was really swollen and I could not walk on it. My sock and shoe was blood soaked and the ambulance crew could not understand why I would not let them take me to the hospital. I mean come on, there was a race that day.

The guy working the pit gate passed out when he saw my shin. It was all colors by then. Guess I should not have worn shorts....

After a couple weeks I could walk on it, very gently, and the swelling was mostly gone after about a month.

I remember reading once that Goodyear had to regularly patch bullet holes in their blimps. Just too tempting a target, I guess (and hard to miss).

I also read once about an Army test of small arms fired straight up. They would tumble on the way down, so they wouldn't come down fast enough to cause much damage. Bullets fired up on an angle are another story.

It usually took a week or two for the holes to become obvious based on lift tracking when did when I flew blimps. By then, you had no idea where it came from. The UK MoD did a test back in the 80s or 90s on a blimp with a Royal Marine detachment shooting it with service weapons. Even with them unloading magazine after magazine in the thing, it still took a significant (measured in hours more than seconds) of time to cause significant deflation. I think people forget how low the pressure actually is in an airship.

He claims in the video that someone fired in the air and the bullet came back down. I find it hard to believe that the terminal velocity of a typical bullet to be enough to penetrate the skin though.
I had a Trooper at Camp Comanche, Tuzla wounded by a round penetrating a tin roof and hitting him in bed…we did not have to medivac him and our med team was able to treat it…but I did have a medivac that night when the Troopers Platoon Sargent tried to remove a nosey M.P. canine unit from the area supposedly investigating but just getting in the way. The dog attacked with a groin bite to SSG Johnson ( Yes his real name) causing serious injury…forever we referred to it as the Johnson and Johnson incident…

Didn’t break any until adulthood. Motorcycles, hang gliding, etc.

The ribs that I cracked were the result of being knocked off of my motorcycle on the interstate. I got to do a lot of roll & tumble before I got stopped. To this day I still don't know where that guy came from ...

:rolleyes:

Both my current gun club, and two former clubs in towns where I used to live, all at one point offered use of their facilities for police training.

All three stopped the practice, as the walls, ceiling, floor, light fixtures, shooting benches, and port dividers were getting too shot up when the police used the range.

Sounds like an apocryphal story.

This is now making the rounds on Facebook. Crop duster that came back with a new decoration on his plane.

upload_2021-6-30_9-32-37.png

I had a Trooper at Camp Comanche, Tuzla wounded by a round penetrating a tin roof and hitting him in bed…we did not have to medivac him and our med team was able to treat it…but I did have a medivac that night when the Troopers Platoon Sargent tried to remove a nosey M.P. canine unit from the area supposedly investigating but just getting in the way. The dog attacked with a groin bite to SSG Johnson ( Yes his real name) causing serious injury…forever we referred to it as the Johnson and Johnson incident…

Note to self. Take sips of coffee in between reading posts. Wife said, are you ok in there? I said yeah, could you bring me some paper towels

I don't understand why people mess with planes. The laser pointer thing is bananas too.. those clowns usually get caught luckily.

I've taken a lot of falls and had my share of stitches, bruises, sprains, strains, etc, but no broken bones. My bones are just too thick, I guess (like my head).

Same, except I haven't even had my share of stitches (although I have a few scars that probably wouldn't be there if I'd gotten stitches). Been lucky with playing soccer/baseball/football through high school, and played adult baseball (until a few years ago) and still play soccer currently. Recreational mountain biking, dirt bikes, slalom water skiing, etc. have all given me plenty of exposure to injuries, just never more than a sprain/jammed finger.

Back