glider peeps....

ChemGuy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ChemGuy
I was looking at some pics for an auction near me in a few weeks and saw this....
img_1624322762429531579.jpg

img_1624322768540446416.jpg

I have some questions.

Based on the wing roots...fiberglass??...anyone hazard a guess to what it is? Based on the trailer it looks 60-70s fiberglass aircraft to me.

Second....that nose damage looks pretty bad... and also some damage visible on the wing. Is something like fixable or parts only aircraft?

I ask as I may go to this auction anyway and as I doubt not many will know what this is and what value...if any it has...it may go very very cheap, as it should. Just trying to see if there is ANY value in it as a glider project or for parts.

thoughts?

Thanks,

if you pay anything for it you will overpay. notice the vertical stabilizer is laying over sideways? the tailboom is broken too. It ground looped at some point and hasn't left the trailer since.

It might be an ASW-19?

Anything can be repaired. There are gifted shops in the country that can put the glider back together. It will cost $30k+ for the fiberglass repairs and finish. Then you'll need to get a decent trailer. and take care of the corrosion, instruments, etc from sitting in the trailer rotting. You'll end up with $40k in this at least for maybe a $30k glider.

Or put it together, paint it up nice, then say you have never flown before and are going to teach yourself to fly, then destroy it and put the video on youtube....

Unless you are looking for a labor of love where you give and give and never get anything back, I’d pass. You’d be better off building a kit from scratch.

there might be a small value in the trailer if it’s in good shape. Not much though.

I was thinking it looked like an ASW19 also. It might have some value for someone looking for parts, like Canopy, or control surfaces. But unless it has something you need it isn’t worth much. If your labor is free and you have lots of it, have the expertise to do it and just wanted a project to work on, then it could be repaired fairly in expensively. It is mostly labor to repair. Would be interesting if a N number could be located and see if we could find and NTSB report.

Brian

Thanks guys.

i figured it was about worthless as a flyer.

if i go I'll try to get more info on it

Back