What is your (affordable) dream plane(s)?

texasclouds

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I don’t mean a personal 777, but what is your dream plane to own one day that you actually could afford. Or could afford if you made a little more money. Or could if your uncle left you a few C notes.

Mine is the Cessna 195. I think if I made a little more, or got a wild enough of a hair, then I probably could feed her.

What’s yours? Pictures are mandatory,

4CD1FD53-005B-4DC6-8F33-493699CBF7D2.jpeg 5E026983-6D2B-41D4-B5BE-2BEFC7B504EF.jpeg

Well, you just posted mine. I fully intend to move to a 195 when I retire and have fewer kids to haul around.

If I got tired of going slow and burning oil, I'd be thinking Aerostar
unnamed (1).jpg

Glasair III. Reality is I could afford the capex if I didn't have dependent overhead. Not a gripe, just a financial fact (there's more to life than pining for toys). Perhaps a good semi-retirement gift when I have to hang up the G-suit and Draken doesn't call lol. It'd smoke my buddy's epsilon on a fraction of the budget that's for sure. :D For now, a cheap-to-keep FT 1 or S-II will do until then.

3b5cd1465b22b5cdacd936c3464b8880.jpg

I don't think there is one that exists for me. I would love something that I could rear load my motorcycle into, head off to wherever, get the bike out and ride. But it's 500lbs 44 inches tall and 91 inches long. So, non-existent.

I pretty much have what I want for the time being. If I made double what I do now - pressurized turbine would be on the list, but not sure I'd even make the jump. So here's the pic:

308.jpg

I don't think there is one that exists for me. I would love something that I could rear load my motorcycle into, head off to wherever, get the bike out and ride. But it's 500lbs 44 inches tall and 91 inches long. So, non-existent....

just stagger the seats bruh

I don't think there is one that exists for me. I would love something that I could rear load my motorcycle into, head off to wherever, get the bike out and ride. But it's 500lbs 44 inches tall and 91 inches long. So, non-existent.

I pretty much have what I want for the time being. If I made double what I do now - pressurized turbine would be on the list, but not sure I'd even make the jump. So here's the pic:

308.jpg
I’m with you on that! It would be awesome to land, open up the back, roll out the HD and blast off on it.

The dream plane I could afford to buy maybe someday but could never afford to maintain would be a Malibu.

more realistic dream plane would be a Gull wing Stinson.

most likely to actually own would be a 4 place bearhawk or Murphy Moose.

If I could have a second airplane to keep my straight tail 182 company in the hangar, it'd be a Commander 114.

(yes, I know that the universe wills that I should want a Bonanza or a Mooney, but I still want a Commander)

Depending on what affordable is defined as, I'd have to say a 185 for my long shot and a Maule M5 220 or 235 as my more likely to be able to afford. And in looking for these pictures, there are way to many of these on concrete instead of in the grass where they belong on google image search. :crazy:

images

images

Aerostar for a twin, Beech Staggerwing for antique, Beaver for amphibian.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Something with Fadec, but since Ill have to build that (come on 6 seat RV) I'll go with a Comanche tc.

308.jpg
https://newatlas.com/motopod-rv-10-.../?itm_source=newatlas&itm_medium=article-body

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/misc/motopod-motorcycle-on-the-fly/

Something with Fadec, but since Ill have to build that (come on 6 seat RV) I'll go with a Comanche tc.
Speaking of 7 seat experimentals, I came across this monstrosity the other day:
download (2).jpeg
Aercomp compair 7. Walter 600hp turbine, 230 knot cruise, 7 seats, about $400k all in. Unfortunately they seem to have a poor reputation to say the least. Id love to see one irl.

Short Skyvan:

maxresdefault.jpg

Be sure to get one with a rear door.

d6a8c897385e152ce4ea2b6d14bc5002.jpg

What's that you say? You can't afford a twin turbine? Not to worry, on the weekends that you're not off adventure camping, you can fly skydivers to help pay for your Skyvan!

14911061590_694dbbc4e9_b.jpg

Problem solved.

Speaking of 7 seat experimentals, I came across this monstrosity the other day:
View attachment 97658
Aercomp compair 7. Walter 600hp turbine, 230 knot cruise, 7 seats, about $400k all in. Unfortunately they seem to have a poor reputation to say the least. Id love to see one irl.
Have seen that, not very aesthetically pleasing imo, but interesting nonetheless. Company sort of reminds me of BD.

DA62. It will become affordable someday (probably about the same amount of time it would take me to build a 6 seat RV).
48' wingspan won't fit in my hangar

Short Skyvan:

maxresdefault.jpg

Be sure to get one with a rear door.

d6a8c897385e152ce4ea2b6d14bc5002.jpg

What's that you say? You can't afford a twin turbine? Not to worry, on the weekends that you're not off adventure camping, you can fly skydivers to help pay for your Skyvan!

14911061590_694dbbc4e9_b.jpg

Problem solved.
I’ve flown one of those. They are terrible airplanes to be honest. The only way to fuel it is from the roof. Stupid loud inside and not that great of a performer when loaded up. A twin otter is much better all around.

I’ve flown one of those. They are terrible airplanes to be honest. The only way to fuel it is from the roof. Stupid loud inside and not that great of a performer when loaded up. A twin otter is much better all around.

Well, it is a box with wings, can't expect too much from it.

48' wingspan won't fit in my hangar
Tiedown!
If you have the 1mm for the plane, you can probably afford to build a hangar for it. A guy on my field just sold his...to buy a Vision Jet. Nice guy...offered me a ride when the new jet comes in :cool:

Have seen that, not very aesthetically pleasing imo, but interesting nonetheless. Company sort of reminds me of BD.
Yeah, whole thing seems a little sketchy....but almost worth it... It's ugly for sure; almost so ugly it turns the corner to cool. But then I kinda like the Shorts and the Gipps Airvan, so my taste is questionable.

Pitts S1. I can afford it, but that's not the problem. I used to think that someday I'd own one...then one day I was at a fly-in, standing next to the approach end of the runway, when a Pitts came in to land. Even though I have a couple hundred tailwheel hours, I realized I'm just a mere mortal, and watching that landing I convinced myself only a flying god could land one of those hot shoes! That thing comes in fast, and turning all the way to touch down! Nope, not this guy. "A man's got to know his limitations."

upload_2021-6-25_21-2-59.png

Pitts S1. I can afford it, but that's not the problem. I used to think that someday I'd own one...then one day I was at a fly-in, standing next to the approach end of the runway, when a Pitts came in to land. Even though I have a couple hundred tailwheel hours, I realized I'm just a mere mortal, and watching that landing I convinced myself only a flying god could land one of those hot shoes! That thing comes in fast, and turning all the way to touch down! Nope, not this guy. "A man's got to know his limitations."

View attachment 97659
I want one so bad. Almost bought one a few months ago. Just taxing it around made me nervous enough to back out haha

I agree with @hindsight2020. It’s hard to beat the bang for the buck that you get with a Glasair III. That’s is unless you require 4 seats. I don’t so the G III is on my realistic short list in 5 years.

Funny. The first two posts are my exact matchup!! Either a 190/195 or Aerostar. Either that or a Beech 18..

Having something I could put the FJ in would be cool.. but such a machine that can be flown single pilot without a type rating does not exist

I agree with @hindsight2020. It’s hard to beat the bang for the buck that you get with a Glasair III. That’s is unless you require 4 seats. I don’t so the G III is on my realistic short list in 5 years.

Indeed. I'd like to get into some pylon racing in the future, and I figured the Glasair is a pretty affordable way to get into some gentleman racing.

My Skywagon comes pretty close (Once it stops trying to eat me out of house and home).
IMG_20180320_191408.jpg
Ultimate dream plane is a Beaver... probably just out of reach though.
De-Havilland_Beaver_Sulphur-Creek-Ranch-052.jpg
I admire 206's, 195's and Maules as well. Big bush planes turn me on.

Last edited:
Funny. The first two posts are my exact matchup!! Either a 190/195 or Aerostar. Either that or a Beech 18...
Here’s another vote for an Aerostar!! I have a only whopping 12 hours of Aerostar time from my first 135 freight gig 30 years ago... but damn, what a sweet machine. Hopefully one of these days I’ll have one, or at least a partnership share.

Also agree on the Beech 18! Lucky for me though, I get to fly one with the CAF... it scratches the Twin Beech itch and I don’t have to buy it. Bonus.

For my two other “dream planes”, I’m pretty dang happy with my RV-8; it does almost everything I need, it’s just fun to fly, aerobatic, cross country capable and very affordable to keep. Then there’s the antithesis to that; a T-28D. Also fun to fly, aerobatic, cross country capable... but stupid expensive to keep and fly, as in 50 gph fuel burn. So, I don’t fly it much, but when I do, holy crap, what a blast. It’s not something I’d own by myself, but in a 5 way partnership group, it works out really well and keeps the costs down to an “affordable” level. Sort of...

The Aerostar is always the plane I keep coming back to. Fast, capable, and just looks so much different from everything else on the ramp

Piper M500. Maybe. I dunno. I'd have to keep climbing the corporate ladder to afford one and I'm starting to get nose bleeds.

Back