Full Medical Exam Each HIMS Checkup?

G

I am in HIMS (Third Class) and have a special issuance which expires every six months. I'm under 40.

It requires I remain in program AND check in with the doctor every six months to get my special issuance extended. No problem.

I was told by office person in addition to the HIMS consult I had to get a full medical exam every six months whenever the special issuance ran out.

It seems very odd to me I would need to get my eyes/ears etc rechecked every six months just because I am in HIMS.

I don't see this anywhere in the FAA paperwork.

Also, last time prior to expiration I received a fresh medical direct from the FAA prior to expiration.

Under 40 medical is supposed to last 5 years I thought.

Are they mistaken?

it is spelled out in you SI authorization letter. Some conditions require every 6 month medical certificate examinations and issuance.

I don't see anything in the letter. It just says I must do a face-to-face evaluation. Nothing about a medical examination.

Myabe I am missing something. Can you advise: Here is what is stated:

Airman Instructions and Requirements for Continued Special Issuance for Drug
and Alcohol Monitoring
1. You must continue to successfully engage in an abstinence based recovery
program as prescribed and monitored by your HIMS-trained aviation medical
examiner (HIMS AME), and subject to minor modification as deemed necessary to
meet your individual needs.
2. AT LEAST 14 times per 12 month interval, undergo random, unannounced drug
and/or alcohol testing administered either directly by your HIMS AME or
coordinated through an independent third-party testing facility. Results must
be provided to your HIMS AME, and your HIMS AME has discretion to require
supplemental testing.
3. EVERY 6 months, you must complete a face-to-face in person evaluation with
Dr. XXXX as your HIMS AME.
U The HIMS AME must re-evaluate your continued eligibility for special
issuance for the conditions specified under this Authorization and submit a
completed HIMS AME Checklist - Drug and Alcohol Monitoring Recertification.
~ Additional information to aid you in complying with the requirements of
this Authorization may be found on the FAA Certification Aid - Drug and
Alcohol Monitoring Recertification at www.faa.gov/go/HIMS-DA.
* Recommendation: give a copy of the "FAA Certification Aid - Drug and
Alcohol Monitoring Recertification" at www.faa.gov/go/HIMS-DA to each person
providing a report to help ensure that all required information is submitted
on your behalf.

A “full medical” is sort of an oxymoron when it comes to aviation medicals. Ain’t like they’re really checking eyes, ears or anything else.

it’s more like a preflight. Not really checking much mechanical, it’s a common sense check.

so a face to face is different. you have to show in the doctors office, but not for a physical and he/she fills out a checklist and sends it to the FAA. I would need to see the letter, but many times 4 visits are required. 2 at months 3 and 9 can be virtual. 6 mo visit is face to face. 12 mo with a SI is likely the re-certification physical. As to a 3rd class lasting 5 years ... The SI takes precedence.

Your letter also sez he can only issue you for six months at a time.
It sez you need six monthly evaluations, too.

so you can go and get the evaluations in person, not have a flight physical....but then he can’t reissue you. So WTHeck? Do the physical get renewed.

Many of them require 3rd monthly which are usually permitted to be Zoom, but I have one that’s in person every three months.

Try to be appreciative that 1) FAA did not give you the situation you are in, and 2) that you are being given a second chance.....and that you will out live this particular SI (abuse).

BTW, I don’t detect a lot of gratefulness in you post....It kinda implies you feel put upon, which is NOT a hallmark of tranquility nor of recovery....... :(

.......My 2 cents based on looking after more than a few dozen such SI’d airmen.......

Last edited:
If your medical certificate is limited to 6 months, how do you propose you get a new certificate without the examination?

You are the one who screwed your life up, do as they ask, consider yourself lucky and quit the bitching.

The letter says, every 6 months “complete a face-to-face in person evaluation” with the HIMS AME. OP was told verbally that this means a full medical examination implying eyes, ears, heart, lungs, checking to make sure he still has an anus.

OP wants clarification whether the “face to face evaluation” with the HIMS AME is the latter, or whether it’s just following up on his sobriety and complete the checklist referenced subsequently which is here:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...ia/HIMS_Drug_Alcohol_Monitoring_Checklist.pdf

The only thing on that list that looks to me like a whole medical exam would be required is the last bullet point under item 1: Any NEW condition(s) that would require an SI?

But on the whole, it doesn’t look like the 6 month face to face is a complete medical exam, unless that one bullet point establishes that it is, in fact.

It’s a fair question.

No the OP missed the instruction that the AME can only issued for 6 months at a time. It’s in every letter.

Maybe he’ll figure it out....

Last edited:
No the OP missed the instruction that the AME can only issued for 6 months at a time. It’s in every letter.

Maybe he’ll figure it out....

You’re right, he did say “under 40 medical is supposed to last five years” so he missed the fact that the whole thing expires every six months.

So I’m concluding that it’s a full medical exam. However, (assuming) it is with a doctor you saw only six months ago. Perhaps that doctor knows your history and doesn’t have to repeat, say, a full cardiac work up, or complete blood work that you’d normally just get annually, because odds are you are still more or less the way you were six months ago. So maybe you don’t get the same full exam you would every five years, or the very first time you get certified. Maybe you still stay on the normal schedule for non-substance abuse related stuff.

Say you’re on a 10 year colonoscopy plan, the AME has that in the record and doesn’t require a colonoscopy every six months. Just like your “full medical exam” every five years wouldn’t require a colonoscopy unless you hit the 10 year mark. How often do men get a prostate check, once a year? You wouldn’t need that at your 6 month then, right? The HIMS AME wouldn’t require me to get a mammogram every six months would he?

I better shut up now before the FAA see this and gets ideas.

You’re right, he did say “under 40 medical is supposed to last five years” so he missed the fact that the whole thing expires every six months.

So I’m concluding that it’s a full medical exam. However, (assuming) it is with a doctor you saw only six months ago. Perhaps that doctor knows your history and doesn’t have to repeat, say, a full cardiac work up, or complete blood work that you’d normally just get annually, because odds are you are still more or less the way you were six months ago. So maybe you don’t get the same full exam you would every five years, or the very first time you get certified. Maybe you still stay on the normal schedule for non-substance abuse related stuff.

Say you’re on a 10 year colonoscopy plan, the AME has that in the record and doesn’t require a colonoscopy every six months. Just like your “full medical exam” every five years wouldn’t require a colonoscopy unless you hit the 10 year mark. How often do men get a prostate check, once a year? You wouldn’t need that at your 6 month then, right? The HIMS AME wouldn’t require me to get a mammogram every six months would he?

I better shut up now before the FAA see this and gets ideas.

A 3rd class medical exam does not require blood work, a prostate check, etc., anyway. Seems to me he’s just required to get a 3rd class exam every month.

But it also seems, that since the issuance is only good for 6 months, he could let it expire after 6 months and go Basic Med, couldn’t he?

A 3rd class medical exam does not require blood work, a prostate check, etc., anyway. Seems to me he’s just required to get a 3rd class exam every month.

Doh. I knew that. I overthink everything.

But it also seems, that since the issuance is only good for 6 months, he could let it expire after 6 months and go Basic Med, couldn’t he?

The way I understand it he definitely cannot within the first two years. After that, I don't know.

Guess it depends on what would happen after 6 months; an expiration or a revocation. Basic Med would be available after an expiration but not after a revocation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back