Non-aviation ANR headphones

Arob16

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Arob16
Hey gang -

Since most of us likely use some form of noise-canceling headsets for flying, I wanted to pulse the group on what the favorite noise-canceling, non-aviation headphones are for everyone? I.e. non-aviation, no voice, just listening to music type. I am going to make an investment in a pair and would love the best quality and value.

Thanks in advance!
Adam R

I love my Bose QC's for music, but they do have voice as well, and at home I use them for every phone call.

Sony WH-1000XM4. They have knocked Bose out of the top spot with the WH-1000 models for the past couple of years. Better overall sound, just as good at ANR, if not better.

Sony WH-1000XM4. They have knocked Bose out of the top spot with the WH-1000 models for the past couple of years. Better overall sound, just as good at ANR, if not better.

I have never tried the Sony, but because this the internet, and you said they are better than my Bose, I am just going to say you are wrong.

I have never tried the Sony, but because this the internet, and you said they are better than my Bose, I am just going to say you are wrong.

Lol, seems like a perfectly sound response! I believe there was a thread about this stuff a year or so ago. I had been looking for a set for my airline travel and had been trialing many of the $250-$400 ANR headsets. I demo'd the Bose, Sony, B&W, and a Sennheiser. The B&W had great audio, but the controls were a bit wonky and the ANR wasn't on par with the others. The Sennheiser just didn't wow me in any way, but I've been happy with Sennheiser headphones and ear buds for many years. The Bose was nice, very good ANR, but the sound quality was well, a Bose. Sony had the great ANR like the Bose, but then also had great touch controls and great sound. Not as great on the audio as the B&W, but close enough that it was a wash for me.

I always liked my DC H10-30 passive noise reduction head set so I bought the 10S/DC for listen-only. Sound great and same rugged construction as the H10-30. Always take them on commercial flights as I can't stand the stick-it-in-your-ear types the airlines supply.

I went from Skullcandy non-ANR wired headphones that were on ear, so when I went to Bose it was a bazillion times better. It's also what Best Buy had available when I purchased.

Are over the ear THAT much better than in-ear? They would have to be significantly better for me to have something else in my laptop/carryon bag that I have to lug around. Serious question.

Are over the ear THAT much better than in-ear? They would have to be significantly better for me to have something else in my laptop/carryon bag that I have to lug around. Serious question.

For me, I CANNOT stand stuff in my ear. Gotta be over the ear, there is no compromise. There is only Zuul.

I use the Bose 700 when travelling in the back of airliners and around the house.

1st part is generally about comfort. Lower clamping force and trying to seal on the ear is more difficult than sealing on a generally smoother surface of the side of the skull/jaw. Second part is that over the ear headphones, being physically larger to accommodate that design allow for a larger driver in the headphones, which helps with frequency range giving better audio. Only real downside to over the ear vs on-ear (other than physical size) is some heat retention. However, on-ear has more heat retention than ear buds, so it's not as if on-ear is heat-free. Earbuds are fine for me when working out/running, but my ear canals get sore after an hour or two with them in. Same goes for on-ear.

Last edited:
I wanted NC headphones to use in the shop and in the yard. No way was I going to spend Bose money on something that was going to get covered with sawdust and grass clippings so I went with a pair from Wyze. They're about $70. They're like 95% the quality of Bose for a lot less $$$. Very happy with my choice and would buy them again.

Lol, seems like a perfectly sound response! I believe there was a thread about this stuff a year or so ago. I had been looking for a set for my airline travel and had been trialing many of the $250-$400 ANR headsets. I demo'd the Bose, Sony, B&W, and a Sennheiser. The B&W had great audio, but the controls were a bit wonky and the ANR wasn't on par with the others. The Sennheiser just didn't wow me in any way, but I've been happy with Sennheiser headphones and ear buds for many years. The Bose was nice, very good ANR, but the sound quality was well, a Bose. Sony had the great ANR like the Bose, but then also had great touch controls and great sound. Not as great on the audio as the B&W, but close enough that it was a wash for me.

@SoonerAviator which model Sony did you go with?

I wanted NC headphones to use in the shop and in the yard. No way was I going to spend Bose money on something that was going to get covered with sawdust and grass clippings so I went with a pair from Wyze. They're about $70. They're like 95% the quality of Bose for a lot less $$$. Very happy with my choice and would buy them again.

I love my Bose QC over ear for the shop and cutting grass. Metal chips, sawdust, grass, hasn't been a problem yet and that's after a few years of use

Last edited:
When I was travelling weekly I had Bose Quiet Comfort in-ear. They were excellent for what I needed. Compact size, good noise cancelling, can be used as phone headset and rechargeable. I still have them in retirement for listening to video while Mrs. Hang4 is sleeping. What impressed me the most is the ruggedness of the wires. The pair I have is about 4 years old and I tortured them, no fraying, cracking or any sign of wear. In-ear was nice for flights overseas as you could sleep on your side and still have them in both ears. (sleeper seat)

I have the WH-1000MX3. They have an updated MX4 model out now that had some minor improvements but I haven't bothered to listen to a pair.

Well I had to buy something on Prime Day because the Bezos chip in my Covid vaccine made me. So I went ahead with reconditioned WH-1000MX4's just because.

I love my Bose QC over ear for the shop and cutting grass. Metal chips, sawdust, grass, hasn't been a problem yet and that's after a few years of use
Oh I have no doubt I would be in the same boat had I gone that route. Sawdust cleans off just fine as does grass clippings. So I guess I was really only lying to myself when I implied that the prospect of exposure to sawdust and grass clippings was my reason for not wanting to spend the money on the Bose product.

I guess my real reason is well, I just don't think a pair of noise cancelling headphones should cost what Bose is charging. So I found an alternative that works about 95% as well for about 80% less cost. And I'm very satisfied with my choice. I suspect you're also very satisfied with your choice. And if that's the case then the only real difference between us is one of us has a few hundred dollars in our wallet that the other does not. C'est la vie.

I have the WH-1000MX3. They have an updated MX4 model out now that had some minor improvements but I haven't bothered to listen to a pair.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

I’m reading online that the xm4 isn’t really that much of an upgrade over the xm3. It’s got a few more bells/whistles. Plus Best Buy down the street has xm3’s in stock at a small discount. I’m gonna go check them out later today. Thanks for all the input guys!

I’m reading online that the xm4 isn’t really that much of an upgrade over the xm3. It’s got a few more bells/whistles. Plus Best Buy down the street has xm3’s in stock at a small discount. I’m gonna go check them out later today. Thanks for all the input guys!
I bet you'd be happy with either one. I am certainly not the kind of guy who upgrades his phone just because the newest version came out. On top of that, I haven't been flying the airlines since the pandemic hit and I changed jobs that almost removed my air travel entirely, lol. I haven't even picked up the headphones in a year.

A friend uses Bose headphones and the nflightmic and loves it. I’m considering this for my dash one and use her existing ANC headphones instead of sinking 9 AMU into a pair of headphones.

https://nflightmic.com/

I’ve got QC35s w/ the uflymike and I like them a lot. They work well in everything except radials and twin piston pounders. I carry them in my backpack all the time as a backup to my primary headset.

Back