Discovery Flight: My first piston single ride!

Silverhawk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Silverhawk
I reported to ATI 20 minutes early, for a 10 AM ride. My Instructor greeted me at 10:07 AM and we went right into a review of basic aerodynamics, controls, and, instruments.

She guided me through the untie, and, walkaround. N383SP is in good shape. I took great joy in moving the control surfaces, noting the sounds, amounts of "play" etc.

It had rained heavily the day before and I took a very close look at fuel caps and their gaskets, as well as all fuel samples. All good! The samples went back into the tank.

She pointed out exterior lights and the stall horn. An EXTERIOR stall horn! She showed me where to check the alternator drive belt for proper tension.

We inspected for missing fasteners of any kind and I noticed the general cleanliness. Good line guy!

With me sitting left, We turned on the power and coms. She handled the throttle and the mix, having me start the plane. The key selectively tests the two "magnetos". If there was a problem I'd hear the engine slow down.

She checked the weather. Near optimal conditions she said.

We received clearance for runway 31: A 4000 foot paved commercial runway. We brought the engine to 1400 RPM and established our taxi roll, then we cut to 1100 The plane rolled well.

She explained rudder vs brake steering, both use the foot pedals, with the brakes higher up on the pedals, and, the rudder lower down on the pedals.

She pointed out: ramps have letters, runways have numbers. She said don't taxi any faster than a average human could jog.

My muscle memory, interfered somewhat. I automatically tried to steer like in a car. She had to correct me three times!

I also automatically treated the "center line" as a highway lane marker and started to steer "down a lane" She only had to make that correction once.

I found I could only hold the center line by constantly going from one rudder pedal to the other in a regular motion. I tried to break out of it by breaking up the steady rhythm of my control inputs. Some became too rapid for her liking and She corrected me. We wiggled on out.

At end of ramp, She makes another weather check. I was talking, and, distracted her. she calmly let me know. She adjusts the heading and altitude indicators. We are cleared for that last turn and she announces our takeoff. This is it!

She manages the mix once again while having me push the yoke to hold the tail down (Edit/update: I think it was actually pull back, not push). We hold the brakes, and, she has me push the throtle all the way in. Sounds smooth, powerful. We release the foot pedal brakes and GO!

The very lightly loaded Cessna seems to almost jump up into the air. Acceleration past 60 knots is rapid. The takeoff roll is so short it is over before I can fully appreciate it. We're quite light today!

The plane zoomed off the runway, but, was immediately frisky at this weight. I notice myself using a LOT a continuous control input changes.

The plane climbs sharply. She directs me to gently push forward and use the rate-of-climb indicator to achieve a climb rate of 500 feet per minute. We had been going almost twice that. We reduce power to 2000 RPM. All is good.

We pass 1500 feet and bank 20 degrees right to 030 magnetic. We continue to 2500 feet, and, ride out for about 8 minutes to a local wildlife preserve. I am enjoying this so far. The plane keeps wanting to swoop up and down like a dolphin in the sea.

She notices that I like to use the attitude indicator a lot. She corrects me to use the actual horizon instead. I should only be "glancing" at the instruments she says.

As we pass the wildlife preserve, we come left to 330 magnetic and partially circle it's lake. Despite the work, I am having a VERY good time... up until now anyway...!

Then it happens: VERTIGO. I immediately let her know. She hands me a small plastic bag and says: "Don't worry, I have the airplane. We're near the airport and can come right down." She is directed to the "downwind leg" of the traffic pattern. Another 7 or 8 minutes and we are landing. We taxi to the tie down, shut down, and there is only the sound of the mechanical gyro spooling down.

She seems a bit dissapointed, and, indicates that it's been her experience that most people are "scared off" by what I'd just gone through. Of course, she does not really know me :)

I let them know I'd be back. Maybe dramamine, ginger products, less food will help.

Last edited:
didn't you already start another thread asking for advice on vertigo/yakking?

You must’ve been a writer in another life. Quite the detailed and descriptive write up!

Can't fly on Dramamine. You'll get used to flying if you keep flying, don't eat a heavy meal, just eat lightly in the hours before the flight, make sure your are not dehydrated. And don't worry about it.

didn't you already start another thread asking for advice on vertigo/yakking?
This post was meant to describe the entire experience. The other post was an intro post where I did mention getting sick. I apologize if you find it out of place. Moderator: if incorrect, please remove.

Get Outlook for Android

Can't fly on Dramamine. You'll get used to flying if you keep flying, don't eat a heavy meal, just eat lightly in the hours before the flight, make sure your are not dehydrated. And don't worry about it.[/QUOTE}
The flight school brought it up (no pun intended!) They said it had to be the "non-drowsy version". Maybe I'll try the ginger first.

Last edited:
Fairly normal for a first flight, don't let it scare you away. Try your next flight at the first time slot available after sunrise. Air in the morning is cooler and smoother. Also like your instructor said - look out the windows and fly the plane. Looking further away to the horizon helps. As you get more time your body will adjust and the motion sickness issues usually go away.

Oh, BTW, nice write up. Let us know how flight #2 goes!

You must’ve been a writer in another life. Quite the detailed and descriptive write up![/QUOTE}
Thanks! This is actually the short version with less detail. The software kept telling me my post was too big.

I once scheduled a flight for 5:30pm in July and didn't have time to eat a good lunch. On the way to the airfield I stopped at Taco Bell.....umm.... don't do that.

I reported to ATI 20 minutes early, for a 10 AM ride. My Instructor greeted me at 10:07 AM and we went right into a review of basic aerodynamics, controls, and, instruments.

She guided me through the untie, and, walkaround. N383SP is in good shape. I took great joy in moving the control surfaces, noting the sounds, amounts of "play" etc.

It had rained heavily the day before and I took a very close look at fuel caps and their gaskets, as well as all fuel samples. All good! The samples went back into the tank.

She pointed out exterior lights and the stall horn. An EXTERIOR stall horn! She showed me where to check the alternator drive belt for proper tension.

We inspected for missing fasteners of any kind and I noticed the general cleanliness. Good line guy!

With me sitting left, We turned on the power and coms. She handled the throttle and the mix, having me start the plane. The key selectively tests the two "magnetos". If there was a problem I'd hear the engine slow down.

She checked the weather. Near optimal conditions she said.

We received clearance for runway 31: A 4000 foot paved commercial runway. We brought the engine to 1400 RPM and established our taxi roll, then we cut to 1100 The plane rolled well.

She explained rudder vs brake steering, both use the foot pedals, with the brakes higher up on the pedals, and, the rudder lower down on the pedals.

She pointed out: ramps have letters, runways have numbers. She said don't taxi any faster than a average human could jog.

My muscle memory, interfered somewhat. I automatically tried to steer like in a car. She had to correct me three times!

I also automatically treated the "center line" as a highway lane marker and started to steer "down a lane" She only had to make that correction once.

I found I could only hold the center line by constantly going from one rudder pedal to the other in a regular motion. I tried to break out of it by breaking up the steady rythem of my control inputs. Some became too rapid for her liking and She corrected me. We wiggled on out.

At end of ramp, She makes another weather check. I was talking, and, distracted her. she calmly let me know. She adjusts the heading and altitude indicators. We are cleared for that last turn and she announces our takeoff. This is it!

She manages the mix once again while having me push the yoke to hold the tail down. We hold the brakes, and, she has me push the trottle all the way in. Sounds smooth, powerful. We release the foot pedal brakes and GO!

The very lightly loaded Cessna seems to almost jump up into the air. Acceleration past 60 knots is rapid. The takeoff roll is so short it is over before I can fully appreciate it. We're quite light today!

The plane zoomed off the runway, but, was immediately frisky at this weight. I notice myself using a LOT a continuous control input changes.

The plane climbs sharply She directs me to gently push forward and use the rate-of-climb indicator to achieve a climb rate of 500 feet per minute. We had been going almost twice that. We reduce power to 2000 RPM. All is good.

We pass 1500 feet and bank 20 degrees right to 030 magnetic. We continue to 2500 feet, and, ride out for about 8 minutes to a local wildlife preserve. I am enjoying this so far. The plane keeps wanting to swoop up and down like a dolphin in the sea.

She notices that I like to use the attitude indicator a lot. She corrects me to use the actual horizon instead. I should only be "glancing" at the instruments she says.

As we pass the wildlife preserve, we come left to 330 magnetic and partially circle it's lake. Despite the work, I am having a VERY good time... up until now anyway...!

Then it happens: VERTIGO. I immediately let her know. She hands me a small plastic bag and says: "Don't worry, I have the airplane. We're near the airport and can come right down." She is directed to the "downwind leg" of the traffic pattern. Another 7 or 8 minutes and we are landing.
We taxi to the tie down, shut down, and there is only the sound of the mechanical gyro spooling down.

She seems a bit dissapointed and indicates that it's been her experience that most people are "scared off" by what I'd just gone through. Of course, she does not really know me :)

I let them know I'd be back. Maybe dramamine, ginger products, less food might help?
Less food, more flying, more fresh air to the face.

Just look out the window - learn the place (s) on the windshield for climb out, and for cruise. [Being a rental, you will probably need to adjust the seat to a consistent height, since that will probably change depending on who flew the rental last.] (I prefer it all the way up - better visibility over the cowl.) Don't need all them dials to get in the air! Stick with it, it gets much better!
Not sure about 'pushing the yoke forward to hold the tail down' - that doesn't sound right to me.

I'd give it a few more flights before you resort to any crutch. Keep your eyes outside, where they should be anyway starting off, keep the cabin cool (or as cool as possible) with lots of air flow. Your write up seems like you were locked into the instruments, forget about them until your instructor starts cueing you to check stuff, keep your eyes outside. Keep meals light before the flight and stay hydrated. Relieve yourself before the flight, you should easily make it through a 1 hour flight, even well hydrated.

Just look out the window - learn the place (s) on the windshield for climb out, and for cruise. [Being a rental, you will probably need to adjust the seat to a consistent height, since that will probably change depending on who flew the rental last.] (I prefer it all the way up - better visibility over the cowl.) Don't need all them dials to get in the air! Stick with it, it gets much better!
Not sure about 'pushing the yoke forward to hold the tail down' - that doesn't sound right to me.
Yes I wrote that wrong, Thanks! I went back and changed it.

love it ! I had almost the exact same experience a couple weeks ago (except no vertigo) -- I'm supposed to go back up tomorrow and sunday, and now I'm stressing it because rain is forecast for the whole weekend :(

Congrats on your flight! And on your determination to stick with it after a somewhat unpleasant experience.

Did you actually experience vertigo (dizziness, disorientation, the world was spinning around)? or just motion sickness? Vertigo can be a real problem, and may be a sign of some underlying issue. Motion sickness is more common than you think and usually goes away after a few flights. Try not to fly on hot bumpy days at first. Early morning flights are usually nice and smooth.

My first time in an airplane was in a green Cardinal on a I believe a 2 cents a pound ride. I think my Mom spent 2 bucks on me for once around the patch.
Yeah, I was young and only 16.

My first time in an airplane was in a green Cardinal on a I believe a 2 cents a pound ride. I think my Mom spent 2 bucks on me for once around the patch.
Yeah, I was young and only 16.
Wonderful memories! I hope you are healthy and continue to fly.

What great advice from this great community. I learn so much reading threads like this one. I’m sure going take all this advice with me when I book my ride. Thanks for sharing Silverhawk

Just a quick update: The ginger root in a blender remedy WORKED!

Thanks, @Silverhawk for documenting your first ride in great detail. I will use it as a reference when the lucky day for me comes...

One hundred quatloos on the newcomer!

It sounds like the roots of obsession have taken hold. Exxxxxxcelent! Keep reporting back,

Back