Help with KN62/64 DME Manual Frequency 0.05 MHz Increments

Mach Diamond

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mach Diamond
Does anyone who owns a KN62 or KN64 DME unit know if it is possible to manually tune the KN62/64 series DME in 0.05 MHz increments. I have a NK62 DME. It's a stand alone unit (not connected to NAV1 or NAV2 via slip or BCD code). You have to manually select your frequency. Today I was shooting an approach that had a LOC/DME frequency of 110.75. I used the larger outer knot to set 110, but the smaller inner knob would only tune to .70 or .80. Is there some kind of trick to getting the inner knob to tune in 0.05 MHz increments instead of 0.10 increments? I feel like I must be missing something small. The unit will supposedly tune to .05 MHz increments if connected to NAV1/2 via Slip or BCD code. That's a lot of extra wiring. Nothing shows up in the user manual (just google KN62 manual). Thanks.

Pull out the center knob and turn it to adjust the smaller steps.

After doing some more digging, I solved the problem. Turns out that the inner concentric knob has an in and out position. If you pull it out, it adds 0.05 Mhz. This is only mentioned in the cheat sheet. On a separate note, I discovered that when BendexKing discontinued the KN62, the starting price was $10,175. It's hard to imagine in today's world where Garmin sells IFR certified WAAS GPS panel mount units like the GPS175 for $4000.

Thanks for your help Axtel4. I guess I should have refreshed my browser before posting my latest response. I didn't see your earlier post.

Back