A look behind the scenes: transponder/pitot/static system inspection

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
Recently, my transponder/pitot/static system inspections (FAR 91.411/91.413) were due on the Bonanza, and the nice people at Classic Aviation in Pella, IA allowed me to bring my cameras into their shop and capture what they do for this inspection. If you've ever wondered what they do with your plane, here is your answer.

Great video. This shop does this the good way. I have seen too many shops do it what I call the “lazy” way. Many shops pull the whole 20,000’ from the static ports, then charge $100+/hr to find and fix leaks. The 1,000’ above field elevation and 100’/min is what the FAR’s require. If a shop wants to pull the whole test through the static system, either ask them to do it this way, or find another shop. I have seen bills for an extra $500 for a cert doing it this way, and most pilots/owners don’t know the difference.

Great video Martin. Very high praise for Shane and Haven at Classic. They assisted me with the fuel system setup on my Bellanca, providing high quality service; very professional in every way. If I were closer to Iowa, instead of in California, these guys would be my go-to shop for all service.

Very cool! I just watched the tech do mine earlier this week since I had nothing better to do and he let me tag along. I think my guy said the Aeroflex cost like over $20,000. Cool to watch it running all the tests. He had to fiddle with location one time.

Back