Cutting new Aeroquip 601 fuel line

Strutwipe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Strutwipe
I'm hoping someone has experience in cutting this braided fuel line. In order of good to worse ideas, my options are highspeed, chop saw, bandsaw, chainsaw, or nuclear thermal device. Suggestions?

Get a block of aluminum. Get a sharp chisel and hammer. Lay the braided line on the aluminum block and wack it 1 good time with the hammer and chisel and you will get a nice clean cut....

Harbor freight chop saw and a Koul tool.

Nauga,
who loves his Koul tool

I used a bandsaw with a fine tooth blade when I cut mine last month, worked beautifully.

Though if I'd known what a royal PITA it was to assemble the fittings into the hose, I would have bought premade hoses.

Getting dust inside the line is what I want to avoid.
Working in a field actually.
Clean the line out after cutting with air or the type fluid it will carry. Shops use cutoff wheels but in the field used tape over the cut line and a sharp hacksaw for years. But the key part is the final pressure check prior to install. Sometime you have to get creative on that part.

This idea is intriguing so I want to give it a try, nothing else, learn something new. Have you been successful?

I was into racecars for many years before planes... I learned that trick 25 years ago and the only method I use. If you use a cutoff wheel the ends fray even with tape and trash gets in your line. I always used a aluminum block instead of the wood.

p 10

Attachments

• eaton-identify-assemble-and-select-hoses-fittings-tf100-45b-en-us.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
I was into racecars for many years before planes... I learned that trick 25 years ago and the only method I use. If you use a cutoff wheel the ends fray even with tape and trash gets in your line. I always used a aluminum block instead of the wood.
I gues I'm going to need a lot of practices. I used a maul, 8lb hammer, block of pine, concrete floor. Would not make it through the SS braiding. Maul too thick? Suggestions?

Thanks, I put it in my ref tool note box. I was hoping to stay away from the hack saw, there are six cuts and it's 115 here in AZ! Kinda of hoping this hatchet thing would work out.

Thanks, I put it in my ref tool note box. I was hoping to stay away from the hack saw, there are six cuts and it's 115 here in AZ! Kinda of hoping this hatchet thing would work out.

I always tape and dremel cut-off wheel. Don't worry about filings; it's never been a problem and you are going to blast that hose clean anyway. And hold it up to the light, both ends, inspect well.

Got it done and I used a bore cleaning rod to remove debris.
upload_2021-6-23_6-49-31.png

I'm hoping someone has experience in cutting this braided fuel line. In order of good to worse ideas, my options are highspeed, chop saw, bandsaw, chainsaw, or nuclear thermal device. Suggestions?

I read where you got it done, great.

I have made many hoses over the years and use a chop saw with green masking tape wrapped around the braid. I rinse them out with my parts washer(mineral spirits)before and after installing the end. Then blow them out with air before pressure testing and tagging them. I test them to 400 psi with either nitrogen or CO2.

055_6.jpg

059_6.jpg

020_19.jpg

Last edited:
You are in the wrong part of AZ. It's mid eighties in Bisbee. In any case if there is a water hose around you can flush, mouth blow and wait a millisecond for it to dry in that heat.

Back