182C pattern leg mp/rpms and flap degree recommendations?

FancyG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FancyG
Changed from 172 to 182C to finish ppl and am looking for mp/rpm settings in pattern.

Using 90mph/80mph/70mph legs. 13"-15" brings it into white arc (100mph) then it seems to need a second reduction but where in the pattern and to what?

PAPI's are notamed inop and while I carry power to the roundout, my aim is 1000' and get really close to landing on the numbers without giving a touch of power (displaced threshold isn't helping visual picture).

Thanks for any help.

Those numbers are fine. The MP will sneak up in the descent which is probably why you feel it needs a second power reduction. A two inch range is rather large, pick something more precise. I wouldn't use more than 14" unless your pattern is super wide.

You won't land on the numbers in any airplane unless the aiming point is sufficiently short of the threshold to account for the flare.

Last edited:
With flaps 40, you actually may need a touch of power due to drag. Either that, or don’t reduce power as much once abeam. Or just keep doing what you’re doing and make the pattern tighter.

With flaps 40, you actually may need a touch of power due to drag. Either that, or don’t reduce power as much once abeam. Or just keep doing what you’re doing and make the pattern tighter.
Any pro tips to get down to 100mph-white arc in the pattern?

And add a bit of power on final with 40? That makes sense, would keep me a bit higher for longer, thanks!

Those numbers are fine. The MP will sneak up in the descent which is probably why you feel it needs a second power reduction. A two inch range is rather large, pick something more precise. I wouldn't use more than 14" unless your pattern is super wide.

You won't land on the numbers in any airplane unless the aiming point is sufficiently short of the threshold to account for the flare.

Sorry, its maybe 12-13 to slow into flap speed.

My problem is inverted - aiming at the 1000' mark and barely dragging over the numbers. Won't cut it for the practical test.

Sorry, its maybe 12-13 to slow into flap speed.

My problem is inverted - aiming at the 1000' mark and barely dragging over the numbers. Won't cut it for the practical test.

You won't land before your aiming point. Sounds like additional instruction on basics of approaches and landings is needed.

You won't land before your aiming point. Sounds like additional instruction on basics of approaches and landings is needed.
Won't I?
I literally asked for pointers with 182 pattern work to correct dragging in too low.
Thanks for the anti-help!

Won't I?
I literally asked for pointers with 182 pattern work to correct dragging in too low.
Thanks for the anti-help!

Sorry man nobody can know what you're doing wrong without flying with you and your problem is not the fault of the airplane.

I would be a bit cautious with 70mph on final, especially if using 40 flaps. She will drop like a stone set up that way, so your flare timing better be perfect. If not, you are gonna prang the nosewheel, (and maybe bend the firewall)

80mph on short final is much better, carrying a pinch of power. I dunno what that is, once that low I'm not staring at the gauge. You might find you also need a little hit of power when starting the roundout, helps with airflow over the tail, keeping the elevator effective. (Note I'm talking MPH, not knots!) Flaps 30 also works really well most of the time, unless the field is really short.

Last edited:
I would be a bit cautious with 70mph on final, especially if using 40 flaps. She will drop like a stone set up that way, so your flare timing better be perfect. If not, you are gonna prang the nosewheel, (and maybe bend the firewall)

I can confirm what Brian said, unfortunately... and he did a great job of teaching me how to land the 182 after the firewall was replaced.

While 70mph is I believe the short-field approach speed for early 182s it is probably a bit slow for a normal approach. I am doing a little instruction in a 182A now and we've been using 75-80. That said OP will have to do a short field landing on the checkride.

Though that's still a different problem than landing short of the aiming point which as I said before should not happen, refer to the following Airplane Flying Handbook illustrations that show what I mean:

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.36.40 PM.png

and

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 9.43.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Here is my process in a 182Q. The airport I land at has a 4000' runway, once abeam the end of the runway on the downwind I pull carb heat and reduce power to 12MP with 10°flaps, by the time I'm abeam the numbers I'm at 95 and can go to 20° flaps. I learned early on not to use full flaps in the 182 which in the Q model is 40°, I land using 30°. I found using the last 10 works after pulling power for a short field landing but even then it's rare that I use it.. Good luck, the 182 is not easy to learn in..

I fly by speed. 90mph for first notch of flaps slowing to 80, pull 2nd notch in the turn to base slowing to 70, pull third notch turning final slowing to 65, pull 4th notch on short final slowing to 60. Speeds are controlled by pitch. Rate of descent is controlled by power. I use power as required for the strip/day/load. I have no idea what my MP is. No need to know.

Stewartb- I bet your landing roll outs are super short! I cannot imagine coming in at 60mph with flaps 40, but do wonder how you flare? Or is it a trap with a tailhook? :)

Back