Toga down Madisonville TX

Wow. 5 legs, approximately 12 hour day. Late night landing at a small country airport (I've never been there, but looks like possible black hole scenario), no PAPIs on either runway, all 3 instrument approaches are NA for night use. What's the line? "A man's got to know his limitations."
RIP, and speedy recovery for survivors.

Edit: Other forum posts mention 'undocumented workers' as the pax. Things that make you say hmmmmm.

Last edited:
With a flight schedule like that, and a full load of passengers, you have to ask, ‘what kind of flying was he doing?’

It looks like he was headed back to Alice and then suddenly changed directions...

Wow. 5 legs, approximately 12 hour day. Late night landing at a small country airport (I've never been there, but looks like possible black hole scenario), no PAPIs on either runway, all 3 instrument approaches are NA for night use. What's the line? "A man's got to know his limitations."
RIP, and speedy recovery for survivors.

Edit: Other forum posts mention 'undocumented workers' as the pax. Things that make you say hmmmmm.
The airman database does not list him as instrument rated. Multi engine but no IR? Odd
The guy gets around. Hauling freight?

Last edited:
I've been into that airport during the day and the runway can be a challenge if you come in a little hot. It's 3202 x 50 and he was fully loaded in a plane and had been flying for 12 hours. The fact that the locals are saying the 5 passengers were undocumented and the last leg of the flight started near the border doesn't look good.

The fact that the locals are saying the 5 passengers were undocumented and the last leg of the flight started near the border doesn't look good.

I'd have to agree that this doesn't look good and is quite a shame. I certainly wouldn't entertain a 12-hour day like that and certainly not into that airport at night.

Also - the news organization in the link provided by OP stated that their own helicopter was over the scene, yet they couldn't bother their pilot to ensure that the statement of "The Madisonville Municipal Airport is unmanned, meaning all aircraft have to radio in to be cleared to land" was correct? I know it's not the most germane part of the article, but that's a bad line.

Flying illegals this one will be interesting when the report comes out…

Also - the news organization in the link provided by OP stated that their own helicopter was over the scene, yet they couldn't bother their pilot to ensure that the statement of "The Madisonville Municipal Airport is unmanned, meaning all aircraft have to radio in to be cleared to land" was correct? I know it's not the most germane part of the article, but that's a bad line.

It amazes me that no one stopped to think about this line. If a station is unmanned, then who is going to answer to give clearance.??

Back