Funnel Cloud Up Close

He’s lucky. I made the mistake of getting a little too close to a tornado and paid the price. Fortunately I was thrown clear into a cotton field.

He’s lucky. I made the mistake of getting a little too close to a tornado and paid the price. Fortunately I was thrown clear into a cotton field.

From that video, the turns around a pylon was centered around the main rotor shaft!

"Funnel cloud" is misleading here. Yes it was a funnel cloud, but if it was a serious funnel cloud then the better question would have been what he was doing flying under a thunderstorm.

I’d assume he was joking about being the pilot. Still WTF though.

If it’s a true photo all I can do is quote Ron White. “You can’t fix stupid.”

Big old tornado reached its little fingers in and carefully unlocked Velocity's seat harness then gently lowered him to the cotton field, pulling just enough pitch to cushion his landing. Thoughtful, I'd say. Except that Mr. V remains speechless from the experience.

Ok, I just want to point out that this is an epic post. The troll value is off the scales because it could be true, but makes you feel a little stupid for thinking that maybe it is. Moreover, he injects himself into the video by admitting he made a mistake, telling us he paid the price, but that he is ok because he landed in a cotton field. Just enough of the "that could've happened factor" to make us want to believe it. It's just tough for anyone here to beat this post's troll factor. It's so subtle that it is almost genius. It could be real, it could be him. On top of that, he leaves us hanging. We may never know, or at least I may never know, because I'm not googling that.

Kudos @Velocity173

Last edited:
Ok, I just want to point out that this is an epic post. The troll value is off the scales because it could be true, but makes you feel a little stupid for thinking that maybe it is. Moreover, he injects himself into the video by admitting he made a mistake, telling us he paid the price, but that he is ok because he landed in a corn field. Just enough of the "that could've happened factor" to make us want to believe it. It's just tough for anyone here to beat this post's troll factor. It's so subtle that it is almost genius. It could be real, it could be him. On top of that, he leaves us hanging. We may never know, or at least I may never know, because I'm not googling that.

Kudos @Velocity173
Once Velocity got up from the cotton field, spit the bolls out of his mouth, and wiped the mud off his britches, he trudged toward the nearest farm house (lost his cell phone in the plunge, of course). On the ensuing phone call, he had a hard time explaining to his employer why that perfectly good Jet Ranger was no longer flyable. That was his last communication with the outside world.

"Funnel cloud" is misleading here. Yes it was a funnel cloud, but if it was a serious funnel cloud then the better question would have been what he was doing flying under a thunderstorm.
He was in a glider. Like every decision ever made by a glider pilot, the reason he was flying under a thunderstorm was for lift. o_O

Ok, I just want to point out that this is an epic post. The troll value is off the scales because it could be true, but makes you feel a little stupid for thinking that maybe it is. Moreover, he injects himself into the video by admitting he made a mistake, telling us he paid the price, but that he is ok because he landed in a corn field. Just enough of the "that could've happened factor" to make us want to believe it. It's just tough for anyone here to beat this post's troll factor. It's so subtle that it is almost genius. It could be real, it could be him. On top of that, he leaves us hanging. We may never know, or at least I may never know, because I'm not googling that.

Kudos @Velocity173

@Velocity173 right after he walked out of the corn field:

shepard.jpg

Once Velocity got up from the cotton field, spit the bolls out of his mouth, and wiped the mud off his britches, he trudged toward the nearest farm house (lost his cell phone in the plunge, of course). On the ensuing phone call, he had a hard time explaining to his employer why that perfectly good Jet Ranger was no longer flyable. That was his last communication with the outside world.

It was his last communication because the farmer's daughter heard the ruckus and was immediately smitten. Here is this guy, who just fell out of the sky and survived. She loved cotton and his hair was full of it. Now he was on her phone, begging his employer not to fire him, her daddy was no where to be found, but that didn't matter, she was of age now. She walked up to him and said.......

It was his last communication because the farmer's daughter heard the ruckus and was immediately smitten. Here is this guy, who just fell out of the sky and survived. She loved cotton and his hair was full of it. Now he was on her phone, begging his employer not to fire him, her daddy was no where to be found, but that didn't matter, she was of age now. She walked up to him and said.......
She walked up to him and said, “In before the lock?”

Surely, there would have been an accident report filed. And that would be in the database to search out.

And don't call me Shirley!

Cotton field. I’d be dead if it were a corn field.

That’s why I’m nominating you for Troller of the year! So far you’re definitely the leader in the club house! Well played my man…. Well played indeed!

She loved cotton and his hair was full of it. Now he was on her phone, begging his employer not to fire him, her daddy was no where to be found, but that didn't matter, she was of age now. She walked up to him and said.......

Thank God you're here. I need to remove this damn makeup.

I have done similar with a Dust Devil, in the plane shown in my profile. Stuck the wing tip into the dust devil and turned. Went from about 2500ft to 11,000 feet in about 5 minutes. Covered the leading edge of my wing with Cheat Grass from the dust devil. Made for in interesting conversation as I rolled to stop after landing and had all that cheat grass fall off my wing on to the runway as my crew came out to help me push off the runway.

Haven’t seen one like than near cloud base, would depend on the ride and surrounding weather if I decided to stay like he did or leave. It is possible this is just a normal thermal that we sailplanes use all the time, but the moisture conditions are just right make it visible. I can’t tell from the video how strong it really is.

Brian

Back