Replacement Basic Med Documentation

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Does anyone know how to get replacement Basic Med documentation?
I've got quite the string of bad luck here:
1. I misplaced my docs
2. My doctor is no longer in the area
3. The FAA website is clear you can order a replacement Class I/II/III, but says nothing about Basic Med
4. I called Oklahoma City, and after being on hold for 15 min, they said their office was closed and business hours are until 4:30 (it was 4:15).

I have one path of recourse...to fill out a medical request form from the medical group that my doctor worked for, but was wondering if I can get it from the FAA.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!

Might be easier just to do it again

Does anyone know how to get replacement Basic Med documentation?
1. I misplaced my docs
2. My doctor is no longer in the area
3. The FAA website is clear you can order a replacement Class I/II/III, but says nothing about Basic Med
4. I called Oklahoma City, and after being on hold for 15 min, they said their office was closed and business hours are until 4:30 (it was 4:15).

I have one path of recourse...to fill out a medical request form from the medical group that my doctor worked for, but was wondering if I can get it from the FAA.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it!
Do you have a copy of your exam form? If so, maybe you could mail a copy to the physician who examined you and get him to sign it again (using the original date).

As for your medical education course, if the organization you did that with can't supply a duplicate certificate, it's easy to just take the course again if you have the physician's license number.

The FAA never gets a copy so they can't get it for you. Available from your Physician, your records, or a do-over.

If you lost your medical exam paperwork, the only recourse is to do it again. If you scanned it, you can use an electronic form until you run across the one pencil head who insists on seeing the original. AC 68-1 states:

Q: What documentation do I need to keep?

A: You only need to keep a copy of your Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist and your medical education course completion certificate. You can store these in your logbook, or you can store them electronically in any format, as long as you can produce an accurate representation of these documents at the request of the FAA. You don’t have to carry these documents while flying under BasicMed.

Oklahoma City doesn't handle BasicMed--it's not a medical certification program.

The FAA form 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC) is a document between you and your physician. As mentioned, the FAA never sees it (unless they ask for it) so it's your responsibility to keep it somewhere safe. Your physician's office may have retained a copy, but they are under no obligation to do so. Neither document is a certificate, so the FAA has no issue with you storing the document electronically and producing a .pdf file if asked.

Both Mayo and AOPA offer a method to reprint your course completion certificate.

Did you try playing that country & western record backwards?

"... my dog came back, my wife loves me again, the pick up truck works, and my horse is no longer lame"

I just scan mine as pdf and keep a copy on the 3 iDevices we use

First thing to do with CMEC after you get it is to scan it and store it away in several backup locations.

I did the same thing with my airworthiness certificate and my radio licenses (though those come from the FAA/FCC as PDF files to begin with).

Mine is on a cloud drive and my ipad. I think the original is in the safe, not sure.

Just get another exam and push it out a few more years. I also keep my paper and several electronic copies.

The day you get your new one the original will show up.:)

Yep, my doc has no problem doing the CMEC on my regular annual exam. All I gotta do is bring him the form every year.

This year was a walk in the park. I lost 50 pounds, my blood pressure is 110/70 (was a bit elevated before), and my blood work all came back fine (including good lipid numbers that were pretty bad before).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back