What kind of chair is this?

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Sat in one of these and it was super comfortable, and I'd like some for the home. But I'm not sure how to go about finding one.

PXL_20201220_164659597.jpg

I bet the owner or manager could point you toward the supplier.

Sorry I can not help you but I had several good times at that marina in the 80's and 90's. In February on 98 we had 7 people on our boat for the Buffett concert just before we departed for the Islands. We were almost fully stocked for the Islands and M&J only had half of the Vberth to sleep in. The other half was stacked to the ceiling. The night before we were anchored and a boat sunk during the storm that delayed Jimmy's concert. It bent the hell out of one of my anchors. Good memories.

Sorry I can not help you but I had several good times at that marina in the 80's and 90's. In February on 98 we had 7 people on our boat for the Buffett concert just before we departed for the Islands. We were almost fully stocked for the Islands and M&J only had half of the Vberth to sleep in. The other half was stacked to the ceiling. The night before we were anchored and a boat sunk during the storm that delayed Jimmy's concert. It bent the hell out of one of my anchors. Good memories.

I've only been there for lunch a few times, and it's a great place. Must be a hoot at night.

Build them yourself. Adirondack chairs are very easy to build. These are just a variant. There are plans all over the web for such chairs/stools. (Yes, I’ve built Adirondack chairs.)

Build them yourself. Adirondack chairs are very easy to build. These are just a variant. There are plans all over the web for such chairs/stools. (Yes, I’ve built Adirondack chairs.)

Where do you source the recycled plastic planks these are made from ?

I've built a bunch of them. They are super comfortable. Most of what you can buy is expensive and flimsy so I modified plans and built mine completely out of 2 inch pressure treated wood.IMG_20200504_090956.jpg 20190818_182341.jpg IMG_20200504_085145.jpg

Ah yes, the Adirondack chair is to woodworkers as the private check ride is to pilots. And you can’t build just one.

The trick to making a hard plastic or wood chair is to

contour the back and seat.

---This distributes the weight and pressure over a much larger area .
--- A properly curved back will surround your back instead of everything pressing on your bony spine .
---Same as a properly contoured seat ..... spread the weight out over your whole bum instead of having all your weight on your tail bone .
--- Even the angle of the back is very important ... just the right amount of lean-back is important .

The more expensive upholstered chair makers know all these things and carve curves in the foam or padding to make them super comfortable.... test this yourself .... go to a high end store with $7000 wing chairs ..... sit in one .... it is like being held by a feather .

The more expensive upholstered chair makers know all these things and carve curves in the foam or padding to make them super comfortable.... test this yourself .... go to a high end store with $7000 wing chairs ..... sit in one .... it is like being held by a feather .

Right, but that $7000 chair would melt when left next to a salt pool or on a saltwater dock.

I kept wanting to buy some of those chairs for the poolside, but I procrastinated due to the $320 price tag. Kept getting the nag from my wife until she just took decisive action and ordered some chairs that 'look nice'. Well, now its 3 years later, I have rust stains on the concrete and I need to haul those things to the dump.....

And I still need to pay $320 for a plastic/stainless chair that is made for the environment.

So you have bought material from these wholesalers and built pool furniture with it ?

No, I purchased my materials from a local source. It’s ok if you do not possess the tools abs skill to build things. No one is evaluating you. Buy what you want. There’s more satisfaction for some people in building; more happiness for others in buying. Enjoy them either way. (-from a native Adirondacker)

No, I purchased my materials from a local source. It’s ok if you do not possess the tools abs skill to build things. No one is evaluating you. Buy what you want. There’s more satisfaction for some people in building; more happiness for others in buying. Enjoy them either way. (-from a native Adirondacker)

God you are childish.

Do you have a local retailer that carries this plastic lumber ? How is it to work with, do you have to cool the router bits so it doesn't melt into goo ?

God you are childish.

Do you have a local retailer that carries this plastic lumber ? How is it to work with, do you have to cool the router bits so it doesn't melt into goo ?

Why do you keep asking me where I bought my materials? I already told you that I purchased it locally to me. I bought it at a small, locally owned lumber yard.

I prefer wood, but I have used synthetics for some projects with joyous success. You will need to employ nearly all of the same techniques used when working with real lumber. One difference is dust collection, as it doesn't break down like wood sawdust, so it can be a chore to keep an area clean if you're cutting outdoors at a job site. I recommend a Dust Deputy (or similar) with as much collection ducting in place as your hardware allows.

PoA never changes. :)

Already have Adirondack chairs, what I'm looking for is what I posted in my first post. And I don't have the skills, tools, desire or time to build anything myself.

I purchased something similar from www.polywood.com -- not quite as fancy (or expensive). Took a while for delivery, but I like the plastic wood so I don't worry about leaving them outside all winter in Colorado (or hauling them to the garage, covering them, etc.).

I don't have the skills, tools, desire or time to build anything myself.
the Adirondack chair is to woodworkers as the private check ride is to pilots.
"Hi. I'm hiring to fill a full time position for a staff woodworker, 6-figure salary, bonuses, equity and full benefits. As part of the interview, I'd like you to build a variant of an Adirondack chair..."

Back