cut it open and count the rings

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
“If a chicken and a half laid an egg and a half, how long would it take a rooster sitting on a doorknob to hatch a hardware store?”

I see Univair has new replacements for “only” $1775... betcha it’d be a wee bit higher from Cessna/Textron.

You find a crack? If so how did you find it snd where?

Now that I have my own borescope I’ve looked around the gearbox but honestly don’t know anything besides look around for cracks.

So the part can be had for a couple AMUs but how many hours labor ya think? Just curious as I’m sure that a “when” not “if” part.

That repaired part appears to be doing its job just fine.

By its nature , that type of aluminum welding is not very pretty , but can be very strong.

If it is an approved repair it should show up in the log books.

You find a crack? If so how did you find it snd where?

Now that I have my own borescope I’ve looked around the gearbox but honestly don’t know anything besides look around for cracks.

So the part can be had for a couple AMUs but how many hours labor ya think? Just curious as I’m sure that a “when” not “if” part.
They found some cracks at my first annual and welded them. This year, a different shop recommended replacement. It took about 80 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 32
They found some cracks at my first annual and welded them. This year, a different shop recommended replacement. It took about 80 hours.

so when I find some figure 10 AMU, the old gals do pretty good for the beating they have taken for 75 years :)

Yeah, it really enhances the sensation of Stockholm syndrome. :rolleyes2:

One of my flap control brackets grenaded, thankfully on the ground. Another item added to the preflight. That repair may have saved my life; it would have been ugly had it let go on short final. Apparently my trim cables were also twisted half a dozen times.

Back