new guy intro

82Wideglide

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cory
doesn't look like it's S.O.P. here, but it is on other forums I'm on, so...Here i am ! I'm just getting started on my training, only have .8 hours in my log book as of yesterday. More time tomorrow. I'm from Colorado, and I'm 48 years old. I am pleasantly surprised to see the number of um... "after 40" folks getting into flight training and sharing their experiences here.

Welcome, ask questions you will be surprised at how many different answers you will get.....:rolleyes:

doesn't look like it's S.O.P. here, but it is on other forums I'm on, so...Here i am ! I'm just getting started on my training, only have .8 hours in my log book as of yesterday. More time tomorrow. I'm from Colorado, and I'm 48 years old. I am pleasantly surprised to see the number of um... "after 40" folks getting into flight training and sharing their experiences here.

Welcome to the joint. We gots lotsa scooter riders here and even some threads about riding.

Welcome! Help yourself to a donut and coffee, then pull up a keyboard and join in.

Feel free to ask questions. There are lots of intelligent, well-informed members here. It’s a crying shame that they never post....

Welcome! If I can give you any advice it would be to book your CFI often as possible in the beginning. Try to have 3 or more lessons a week if you can swing it. If you span too much time between lessons you will spend more time relearning what you forgot. After you get to solo you can slow down a little if needed. Good luck it’s an incredible thing flying!

lol. I've heard that ! Someone will have to take me for a ride in one to prove it ! What's with the "aft cg" and "tail wagging" issues I keep reading about ?

You’ll be getting into weight and balance soon enough. Google it. Some Bo’s don’t do to well if you fill up the back seats with people and their stuff. The tail wagging is what Bo owners look like when they cop a little swag attitude and strut out to their airplane.:rofl:

Welcome! Another over-40-PoA-Member here.....

Age is just a number. Just like the cost of training, aircraft purchase costs, insurance, hangar rent, mx, gas... all just numbers...

You’ll be getting into weight and balance soon enough. Google it. Some Bo’s don’t do to well if you fill up the back seats with people and their stuff. The tail wagging is what Bo owners look like when they cop a little swag attitude and strut out to their airplane.:rofl:

I meant it more as a cheeky dig at his suggestion that "Bo is always the answer" than as a serious question

Welcome! If I can give you any advice it would be to book your CFI often as possible in the beginning. Try to have 3 or more lessons a week if you can swing it. If you span too much time between lessons you will spend more time relearning what you forgot. After you get to solo you can slow down a little if needed. Good luck it’s an incredible thing flying!

ironically, I really intended to start training in September, but in talking to the CFI about getting on the schedule, he said " would you like to do like a once a month or something before then ?" ...so I scheduled lessons on Friday and Sunday....Now I'm hooked ! I don't want to wait, I want to FLY !!! I'm on the schedule for the 26th, 28th, and the 3rd (I have a week off for "summer break"), and as much as two-a-week is a challenge to my normal work / life schedule, I am going to see if I can make it happen sooner, rather than later

ironically, I really intended to start training in September, but in talking to the CFI about getting on the schedule, he said " would you like to do like a once a month or something before then ?" ...so I scheduled lessons on Friday and Sunday....Now I'm hooked ! I don't want to wait, I want to FLY !!! I'm on the schedule for the 26th, 28th, and the 3rd (I have a week off for "summer break"), and as much as two-a-week is a challenge to my normal work / life schedule, I am going to see if I can make it happen sooner, rather than later

Thats a good start! Just keep in mind you will have to cancel sometimes. Weather can definitely get in your way!

Thats a good start! Just keep in mind you will have to cancel sometimes. Weather can definitely get in your way!

thankfully I live in the "300 days of sunshine" part of Colorado, and these guys are willing to fly at sunrise.
Also - so far I have budgeted each lesson for two hours in the air dual, first lesson was .8, second was 1.2, so if it continues I will have a reserve built up for any longer days

Welcome! I’m just west of you over here in utah. I received my ppl when I was about 43.

Welcome!

I fully expect that in today’s GA there are more pilots over 40 than under.

My impression leading up to now has been that the training part of the industry seems to focus on the younger crowd. That perception may have jaded my view on what's actually going on.

I see pretty young folks, mostly working their way towards the airlines, and (it seems) older folks who finally have the discretionary income to do things they really enjoy. I don’t seem to see a lot in between. Then “in-betweeners” are probably out flying corporate/airlines etc. and don’t hang out as much with us scruffy GA types. :)

I see pretty young folks, mostly working their way towards the airlines, and (it seems) older folks who finally have the discretionary income to do things they really enjoy. I don’t seem to see a lot in between. Then “in-betweeners” are probably out flying corporate/airlines etc. and don’t hang out as much with us scruffy GA types. :)

"In-betweeners" are busy paying mortgages and raising kids so they have less available funds. Once the mortgage is paid and the kids move out, the world opens up.

Back