‘69 Cherokee 140B: flap use

On most small GA planes I like to have the power at idle by 50’ or before. It’s one less variable in the actual landing process. No reason that shouldn’t work in a Cherokee. It’s a skill you need to have for power-off landings anyway - why not use it all the time?

The last three hundred hours that I own my Cherokee I did power off 180 full flap landings and never carried extra power or speed. This whole need extra power is bunk.

I could not specifically find a topic on what I am curious about. Like a coin that has 2 sides I am getting 2 different opinions from those that regularly fly a Hershey bar wing 140 and those that flew hundreds of hours. One side says best landing on a calm day is 2 notches of flaps and only use 3rd notch if high or fast. The other side says to use 3 notches all the time. They all agree fly the numbers on approach and on windy days use the best flap setting for the wind conditions. What do experienced 140 pilots use on a calm day; 2 b notches or 3?

Full flaps. Use everything you have at your disposal...remember, the hershey bar cherokees have the glidepath of a brick...(I've owned 3 of them, aprx 800 hrs total in the model). That just means you have to manage the energy and balance against airspeed, glidepath, etc. It takes a little practice to get it right if all you've been flying are the typical 172s...but a couple hours of practice with a CFI who gets it with the hersey bar, and you'll be ok.

Occasionally (very), I've only used 2 notches on final, but it was a day that true believers of the goodness of Weick's design let us fly on days that Clyde's high wing birds were sitting on the ground. As many have said, go up and try landings with various combos (being primed, of course, to go around if necessary) of flap etc. within the limitations in your POH.

And, boy, do they slip nicely. To get a feel...go up to 5K AGL and put into a landing config, nose down, A/S needle at the 3:00 position, full flap, and crank in a forward slip. Amazing.

I could start a discussion as to whether the crab and kick or sideslip on final is preferred...but that's another can o'worms. But...in the cherokees, either can make you look like a hero.

Be safe, get some training, and enjoy the Piper experience.

Full flaps. Use everything you have at your disposal...remember, the hershey bar cherokees have the glidepath of a brick...(I've owned 3 of them, aprx 800 hrs total in the model). That just means you have to manage the energy and balance against airspeed, glidepath, etc. It takes a little practice to get it right if all you've been flying are the typical 172s...but a couple hours of practice with a CFI who gets it with the hersey bar, and you'll be ok.

With over a thousand hours in Hershey-bar PA-28 and PA-32, I agree. I think the Pipers are easier to land safely; while the Cessna is easier to land well (minimum speed, nose-high greaser).

Occasionally (very), I've only used 2 notches on final, but it was a day that true believers of the goodness of Weick's design let us fly on days that Clyde's high wing birds were sitting on the ground. [snip] And, boy, do they slip nicely. To get a feel...go up to 5K AGL and put into a landing config, nose down, A/S needle at the 3:00 position, full flap, and crank in a forward slip. Amazing.

My PA-32 seems to have not quite enough rudder in strong crosswinds. It's the same vertical tail as on the -140.

The last three hundred hours that I own my Cherokee I did power off 180 full flap landings and never carried extra power or speed. This whole need extra power is bunk.
100% agree. I have 500+ hours in a cherokee, and I always did power off/full flap landings. If your pattern isn't Cessna Citation sized, power off could even occur on downwind, but you had to train/be ready for it. That goes against all that "drops like a brick" bs.

Last edited:
'69 Arrow with Hershey bar "F U to ground effect" wing, here...

Full flaps. 70 over the numbers. Pulling power out into the transition and flair (
not "flair" as somebody in this thread is writing
-- yep you read it right... it's how I do things... flare with flair)

If I eff it up start rounding out too high and it feels like ground effect is going to be disrespected again, I'll give a shot of power so I don't drop it in.... too hard. Greasers maybe 50% of the time. Hardly ever any passenger complaints. Sometimes I get a... "Are we on the ground?" Sometimes I get a... "Well, the rest of the flight was great.... " never got a.... "Is the plane ok?"

Works for me. Different strokes for different folks.

I owned a Cherokee 140 for 14 years and put about 500 hours on it. I did a lot of short field work with that airplane because the bottom end of the envelope was very forgiving and the airplane was a good short field aircraft. I also had a short field in mind. The POH I had said that the best angle of climb was with two notches of flaps.

Soft field takeoff: one notch of Flaps helps lighten the nose wheel. Short field takeoff: two notches until clear of obstacles. Approach to landing: Downwind one notch flaps, base and final 2 notches flaps, short final gets full flaps at proper position if needed to drop.

I like to approach the landing end on two notches in a slow and stable descent. My ideal landing position on a short field put me at the treetops just before the numbers on two notches of flaps, then pulling full flaps drops me nicely to the pavement or grass just past the numbers.

I often get rusty when I've been busy and haven't flown for a while. 3 to 6 landings gets me back in the swing of things so I can be back on my game. I hope this helps.

Back