AggieMike’s Multi Engine questions…

As @dmspilot indicated, it’s probably not in your POH. In most of the Beech products I’ve flown it’s Vmc+5, but that doesn’t mean it would be a valid gouge for the Aztec. Your instructor should probably have a number that he’s been using.

wouldn’t both engines be critical
Had a similar debate with my CFI. It is not just yaw from the thrust asymmetry, you also get yaw from:
-asym thrust.. okay this one is obvious
-torque.. less obvious, but the running engine is trying to turn the wing, which in turn tries to turn the plane along its roll axis
-spiraling slipstream.. the reason we apply rudder on T/O in SE)
-accel slipstream.. the descending/vs ascending propeller will generate more adverse yaw because of this.. the center of thrust, so to speak, is actually further out on the wing (or closer in, depending on engine)

**in a perfect world both engines turn inward center of thrust close to plane, etc.. the Duchess for example has no critical engine because of this. On some Aerostars both turn outward.. so both are critical (or are neither?). Why they did that? I have no idea. That's a good question about certification though..

but at blue line you will not VMC roll
Isn't that red line? In the Duchess I learned on and the Aztec I fly now red line is the Vmc speed and blue line is Vyse. We pitch for blue so that if you have an engine failure on departure you are already at best climb speed and you have some margin before you degrade to Vmc. In the Aztec there's a pretty big delta in the two.. Vmc of 70 knots and Yyse of 89 knots, with a Vy of 102 knots. I rotate over red line, (around 80 knots).. go to Vyse.. and with sufficient altitude go to 100-120 knot cruise climb with 24/24 for the power

One thing I saw results of and it impressed me greatly was an engine failure soon after takeoff, no runway remaining - this was DA of 7500, light twin, decent load, in a mountainous bowl.
Pilot pulled both back and bellied in to a pasture, they walked away.
This could have turned out so. much. worse. Like so many others which ended upside down or augered in.
The best option is not always to try to keep on going, on one engine.
"Fly The Airplane" includes doing so by purposely pulling both engines back in order to maintain aircraft control. I don't think this is taught enough.
They teach that you will be a perfect pilot and do everything right during OEI events and land on a runway. Well, we know how that's turned out statistically.
We did a fair amount of Vmc demo work.. it actually was very good at training my first response to (oh crap we're going over) to just closing both throttles. It's like a panacea.. once you are back over red line and stabilized you can asses your options. I'd *like to think* that should I be unfortunate enough to get in the situation of "she's going over!" I'll close them both. Ideally you never get anywhere near Vmc. Mind you, the Aztec and the Duchess are such dopey planes that you've got to really get behind the airplane I'd like to think. Planes without such fat wings (310? / Aerostar?) might have more brisk stall / VMC characteristics

**in a perfect world both engines turn inward center of thrust close to plane, etc.. the Duchess for example has no critical engine because of this.
Again, a statement backed by no FAA documentation.

also note that the reg doesn’t specify that aerodynamic effects are the only thing that determines critical engine...it simply says “adverse” effects.

Yeah I'm not sure tbh..

Either way, an engine fails you pitch for blue, add appropriate rudder and slight roll. Identify, verify, etc

Yeah I'm not sure tbh..

Either way, an engine fails you pitch for blue, add appropriate rudder and slight roll. Identify, verify, etc
And if it keeps rolling pull power off both handles until you can figure it out... Or you're rolling / sliding across the airport boundary... Lol

Instructor approval earned. Day of Doom scheduled for Monday June 7.

Those desiring to lurk via the inter webs or ADSBexchange.com and follow tail# N125Y owned by In The Pattern Flight School (KDTO).
What time does your check ride start? I don’t want to tune in and watch someone else’s flight by mistake.

Examiner just called. Rain delay. We will talk again at 1300

4th week in an effing row no flying or training on a Monday due to rain.

C26C2889-89BD-4B41-802F-E7553B93044C.png

Examiner just called. Rain delay. We will talk again at 1300

4th week in an effing row no flying or training on a Monday due to rain.

View attachment 97069

My MEI ride (in Dallas) was postponed 4 weeks in a row due to low ceilings (which as you know, have to be pretty high for a multi checkride). Finally, a month after finishing training I had the checkride!

Meeting set for 1500 to get ground items underway. If no fly today, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

@RussR, who was your examiner for your MEI?

Last edited:
Sounds like the weather is getting a little out of hand on the weekend if it can’t work regularly on Mondays...:eek:
It's been odd that it has been the multi day long steady Seattle deluge style rain that won't go away.

Usually this time of year it is VFR, CB build up, loud TS, and over as fast as it started. Then back to VFR.

Just IFR it up to OK and do the checkride, then fly back in :)

Oral passed…. But needed to discontinue due to a maintenance issue with aircraft. Will fly tomorrow afternoon
Weather and maintenance...did the dog eat your homework, too? :)

Someone on FB pointed out that my flight path was a little…. limp.

Last edited:
Congrats! Curious what the instrument limitations are? Did you do the instrument part of the multi check ride?

Congrats! Curious what the instrument limitations are? Did you do the instrument part of the multi check ride?
Ride was conducted per the ACS.

Wore the foggles during the engine shutdown. While level flight. Also wore them as I set up an ILS approach into Denton, being vectored onto the approach, and all the way down to minimums.

Aircraft has a 430W, 2 G-5’s, and no auto pilot.

Nice Job Mike, now buzz around a bit to get your PIC time and do your MEI.

I accidentally flew a suggestive path once. The irony is that it was to descend for an unscheduled bathroom stop.

View attachment 97123

Damn dude. If drawing dirty pictures gets you that excited, maybe you should stop doin it:nono: Yeah, yeah, I know ya said accidently. The facts shall never get between me and a punchline

Back