Cutting the lawn and stepped in......

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Just got home from Seattle and decided I better mow the lawn before it rains. May was the 2nd largest rainfall for the month on record.

Backed the mower out of the shed and stepped in a big pile of bear Shht. Found 2 more piles as I mowed...:(

Oh well guess its spring the bears are out... Note to self, keep garbage can in garage unless you feel like picking it up from the yard...:rolleyes:

Are you out of town a bit or do they come down into town?

Tis the season that the mama's kick the two year olds out on their own and they have to go find their own territory so they wander into all kinds of places. We will get a few here in suburban Baltimore County following the strings of parks feeding on suburban bird feeders.

Apparently they also do it not in the woods.

Are you out of town a bit or do they come down into town?
Lots of woods were I live, I'm 10 miles from down town but still with the suburban area. Yes lots of black bears in the area follow streams into town and attack the garbage cans.

Had a mama griz in the food storage in Deadhorse once. A 10X10 room in an ATCO trailer made into storage. She was biting my cans of ginger ale and was licking it off the floor. One guy walked in the room and started whacking her with a 1X4 until she walked out. We had no idea how she got through the bear proof door. The only logical thought was someone left the door unlatched. Really unnerving to walk into the living area and find bear claw marks on the upper walls and ceiling.

At Kantishna in Denali National Park a young griz got into the kitchen, Again, door left unlatched. He opened the 'fridge door and pulled everything out, not really eating anything. There was a 1 pound bag of brown sugar that he picked up and set back down leaving a perfect set of teeth prints in the packed sugar. Then he found the 5 gallon jug of cooking oil. He bit it open spilling the contents on the floor and licked up about 4 gallons.

Bears are so much fun. Nothing like walking down the road cut out of the brush and finding a rather large pile of bear poo in the middle of the road, still steaming... Guaranteed to increase a persons heart rate....

Well that answers the age old question, bears don't **** in the woods, they **** in Bill's backyard.
That they do. Shot one in the nose with my Red Rider BB gun as he/she was coming around the house. Could not make that shot in 100 years if I tried. I know it stung the bear ran for the hills..:rolleyes:

Bears are so much fun. Nothing like walking down the road cut out of the brush and finding a rather large pile of bear poo in the middle of the road, still steaming... Guaranteed to increase a persons heart rate....
Moose is another one that gets your pulse rate up. I was fishing up north and there was loads of moose poop along the stream. I just knew I was going to walk up on one. Never did, caught 2 artic char for dinner...:)

Back