Real time weather for local flights

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
We often talk about the value of in-flight weather for XC, but I had an experience tonight that reminded me it can be useful for local practice too.

My Decathlon is based at FD77, southeast of Tampa. My aerobatic practice area is 10 miles east/southeast of the airfield. Tonight at about 7pm I departed for a quick practice session. When I took off, there were 2 small showers passing by a few miles north and south of the airfield. This is not unusual in Florida this time of year.

After 20 minutes of vigorous practice I turned to head home, and could not see my airfield. The showers had become a full on thunderstorm parked directly on my airfield. Lighting and torrential rain. I skirted the edges of the precipitation to look for a way in, but it was a wall of zero visibility all the way to the ground. No way to run that scud.

I flew to an area of clear skies about 10 miles away to assess the situation further. I did not have my portable ADS-B receiver or my iPad on board, because loose devices tend to fling around the cockpit when pulling G's. I did have my cell phone in my pocket be with iFly installed. I found a cell tower and circled at 1K to get a NEXRAD update so I could figure out which way the storm was moving. After loitering for the better part of an hour waiting for the storm to move, I decided to land about 20 miles away at Wachula FL and wait it out. After another hour the thunderstorm moved away, and I flew back in the dark.

I would have been fine without the weather in cockpit, but it was a very valuable tool in assessing my options. So the next time you go out for a local practice session, consider the value of having your XC gadgets in your flight bag "just in case". Also, that old adage about fuel left on the ground turns out to be true. My 30 minute local practice session lasted almost 2 hours.

Last edited:
Old school other than that part about circling the cell tower… not much else you can do with southern pop up storms…you just did the right thing.

I fly out of Zephyrhills north east of Tampa and have had to wait out weather nearby at Tampa Executive a couple times. The storms develop scary fast sometimes.

I fly out of Zephyrhills north east of Tampa and have had to wait out weather nearby at Tampa Executive a couple times. The storms develop scary fast sometimes.
I waited out a storm in Zephyrhills once. Stopped there with a buddy to wait for the storm to pass. We sat there lamenting the lack of an on field restaurant or club car because we were starving. Then we realized we could order a pizza! Mmm, it was good. LOL

I flew out of Plant City for many years, so I know that area well. Definitely would not want to try an emergency landing in the Green Swamp!

I waited out a storm in Zephyrhills once. Stopped there with a buddy to wait for the storm to pass. We sat there lamenting the lack of an on field restaurant or club car because we were starving. Then we realized we could order a pizza! Mmm, it was good. LOL
With Uber Foods, everywhere is a restaurant!

The first restaurant right out of Z-hills is a taco joint that hits the spot right after a flight.

Most times, I put the plane into the hangar right as the heavy downpour opens up on the airport.

Closest I ever came was during primary, with an instructor, we landed on the last third of a ten thousand foot runway, fast taxied to the FBO, tied down, and as we shut the doors on the plane, the downpour started.

We had been doing pattern work at the airport, which is 30-40 miles east of our home base, and a line of pop-ups built between us and home. Head down grinding in the pattern to get some towered ops in, we only saw the rain shafts coming and made the quick decision to tie it down rather than try to avoid it. Tower complimented the landing and quick tie down when we started up an hour later to head home.

I wish I had taken a picture. I have never seen visibility like this from the air. I was about a mile away from the edge. It was like a concrete wall in the sky. My buddy on the airfield texted me that it was literally zero feet.

Little storms were popping up all over the area at about the same time. The WX radar was super helpful in deciding which direction to go. My initial instinct was to go to PCM, my old home base. Looked clear in that direction from the cockpit, but radar showed it building rapidly.

Only point of this thread was to observe that I sometimes think "Oh, I'm only going 10 miles away, I don't need my portables." I might revise my thinking based on last night. Of course a smart phone with a modern Nav app gives you more capability than airliners had 20 years ago, and we almost all fly with those. But I think an ADS-B would have been more reliable and less distracting than finding a cell tower to circle.

I wish I had taken a picture. I have never seen visibility like this from the air. I was about a mile away from the edge. It was like a concrete wall in the sky. My buddy on the airfield texted me that it was literally zero feet.

Little storms were popping up all over the area at about the same time. The WX radar was super helpful in deciding which direction to go. My initial instinct was to go to PCM, my old home base. Looked clear in that direction from the cockpit, but radar showed it building rapidly.

Only point of this thread was to observe that I sometimes think "Oh, I'm only going 10 miles away, I don't need my portables." I might revise my thinking based on last night. Of course a smart phone with a modern Nav app gives you more capability than airliners had 20 years ago, and we almost all fly with those. But I think an ADS-B would have been more reliable and less distracting than finding a cell tower to circle.

You have to be careful with the xm and ads-b radar too. I'm sure you know about the delay, but if storms are popping up what looks good on radar may not be in actuality. I was dodging some nasty storms in NC in April, got around a few cells by a good margin, had what looked like a straight shot into Winston-Salem, told the controller I was direct. As I'm putting along at 200mph, I notice it start getting darker about 30 miles ahead. NBD I thought to myself, no precip showing on "radar" (xm weather). So I continue, a few minutes later it's even darker, so I called up approach and asked for 15 degrees left, told him I didn't like the cloud ahead. Steered around it, without any issues, but when my right wing was about even with the spot, there was a solid wall of rain, at least 15 to 20 miles in diameter, growing and starting to plug up the hole I came through. I looked at my "radar" and it was just starting to show light precip there.

Back