Fuel efficiency of airplanes

This is a discussion I've had many times with other pilots and friends. Efficiency can't just be measured in miles per gallon. So I decided to put my analysis into a blog post. I am sure I got some of the aspects wrong, so I would appreciate your input on this.

http://sarangan.org/aviation/2021/06/06/fuel-efficiency-of-airplanes/
Interesting blog post. However, one minor nit: I think you mean R182. No way a 182R (successor to the 182Q and predecessor to the 182S) is going to do 155kts.

I still don’t get why people try to use MPG for an airplane. A good tailwind will drastically increase your MPG where as a strong headwind will diminish MPG numbers.

I still don’t get why people try to use MPG for an airplane. A good tailwind will drastically increase your MPG where as a strong headwind will diminish MPG numbers.

Because people travel to get to specific places, not random places a certain time of flight difference from where they started.

The same is true with cars, but the winds don't have as much of an impact. But a headwind will lower your MPG and a tailwind will raise it because your RPMs will change. Plus, if you're following a truck, you'll get a big boost...I once drafted a truck in my beetle and made it nearly 400 miles on a 10 gallon tank of gas.

But we still state a single number for MPG for cars.

The same is true with cars, but the winds don't have as much of an impact. But a headwind will lower your MPG and a tailwind will raise it because your RPMs will change. Plus, if you're following a truck, you'll get a big boost...I once drafted a truck in my beetle and made it nearly 400 miles on a 10 gallon tank of gas.

But we still state a single number for MPG for cars.

For the sake of argument, winds will always be a variable in airplanes(with much greater influence on mpg) whereas the numbers tend to even out over time in an automobile. For every uphill there's usually a corresponding downhill, and people don't usually draft behind semis for 400 miles lol. So it's easier to use a simple average MPG for a vehicle travelling over known terrain; if a vehicle burns 10gals of gas on a given trip, it's a safe assumption that it will burn very close to the same amount on that route the next day. as opposed to an airplane that constantly fights changing winds, downdrafts, air density, etc etc. A trip that burns 10gal one day may burn 30gal the next. Too wide/unpredictable of a margin to even bother pinning an average number on.

I've seen avionics that tie fuel flow to GPS and give an MPG readout, but that's more "Huh, neat" entertainment value than anything.

What silliness. A propeller is never going to as efficient for propulsion as wheels on a hard smooth surface, an air cooled engine is not as efficient as a liquid cooled engine and few cars have to climb a mountain at the beginning of every trip.

I think the way to measure fuel efficiency in an airplane is GPH at TAS. Would have to think about the math to represent that.

I disagree that you are calculating an efficiency. Efficiency is an output divided by an input. Example: output-miles; input-gallon of fuel. Your calculation is an output. What is the input?

if you weren’t squaring the speed, then the output you are calculating is work; the units work out to lb x (mi/hr)^2. The input should be the chemical potential energy of the amount of fuel required to do that work.

but you are squaring your speed, so your units are lb x (mi/hr)^3, or work x mi/hr. Work/hr is a unit of power, so you are calculating power x mi. And your results show what we intuitively know: a 737 is very powerful and goes a long way. But without comparing that to an input, it says nothing, good or bad, about efficiency.

edit: after re-reading your whole post again, I don’t take issue your calculation or rationale; just with you calling it efficiency. I think effectiveness or capability is a better word.

Last edited:
If time of transport were equal or irrelevant then you could simply state costs per ton-mile for freight or costs per passenger-mile for people. With seats and all else to accommodate passengers that makes about 8-10 passengers per ton. In most cases time is a factor, and time varies with the mode of transport selected. But I take issue with using the square of time for this exercise. The proper output should be something like costs per ton-mile per hour, or cost per passenger-mile per hour. This would take it all into consideration and provide a means for true comparison.

Just a thought.

I disagree that you are calculating an efficiency. Efficiency is an output divided by an input. Example: output-miles; input-gallon of fuel. Your calculation is an output. What is the input?

if you weren’t squaring the speed, then the output you are calculating is work; the units work out to lb x (mi/hr)^2. The input should be the chemical potential energy of the amount of fuel required to do that work.

but you are squaring your speed, so your units are lb x (mi/hr)^3, or work x mi/hr. Work/hr is a unit of power, so you are calculating power x mi. And your results show what we intuitively know: a 737 is very powerful and goes a long way. But without comparing that to an input, it says nothing, good or bad, about efficiency.

edit: after re-reading your whole post again, I don’t take issue your calculation or rationale; just with you calling it efficiency. I think effectiveness or capability is a better word.

What we have is a unitless ratio, which is similar to efficiency, but I agree with you that calling it efficiency could be misleading. I need to think of another phrase. Thanks for the input.

What we have is a unitless ratio, which is similar to efficiency, but I agree with you that calling it efficiency could be misleading. I need to think of another phrase. Thanks for the input.
A gallon of gas is a stand-in loosely representing a unit of chemical energy. Kinetic energy is generally defined as 0.5mv^2. I suppose one could calculate efficiency (energy in vs energy out) over several distances.

Another important factor to consider is the actual distance required to travel is different by road compared to by air.
I have a commute that I’ll be doing regularly in the future. By road it’s 234 miles, by air it’s 154 miles. Unfortunately I’ll still burn 2.5 x as much fuel by air because my plane isn’t very efficient and I drive a hybrid car.

I get 25 MPG in still calm air not counting the climb and it's even better in the descent.

But like my land based vehicles that number depends on how much weight I carry, how I treat the throttle, type of fuel used, and of course which way the wind is blowing. At the end of the day I don't really care so much about what the MPG is but I do care that I have more than enough to get where I'm going. Because I fly for the joy of it and I generally don't have to go nor do I have to be any particular place at any given time. If I have to go by air ... it's usually Delta. :cool:

It’s all about how much importance is placed on speed. In your calculation it’s heavily weighted. It’s really subjective depending on how “effectiveness” is viewed.

What silliness. A propeller is never going to as efficient for propulsion as wheels on a hard smooth surface, an air cooled engine is not as efficient as a liquid cooled engine and few cars have to climb a mountain at the beginning of every trip.

Cough, cough, conveyor belt.

A Lancair can do 30mpg at over 200mph(no wind,) are many cars that efficient at that speed?

My smaller motorcycle isn’t that efficient.

riding home from a long weekend, a friend and I were hammering the 5 fwy at about 120mph steady. My real MPG was around 23 mpg.

I ran out at 117 miles.

Had I been able to run it at 160+ (not possible on that machine) it would have certainly encountered fuel exhaustion even sooner.

At more modest speeds it does 35mpg.

2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Your point?

edit to add: What does FAA certification have to do with efficiency?
Compare it to a car with the emission controls, air bags, addition structure for collisions. and other item that add weight and engine inefficiency.

I see mpg in my car from 15-25 mpg. So like in planes it depends. But if you do collect enough data you do get some precise averages that don’t change much over time, although flight to flight they may. In my plane my average ground speed averaged over 100,000 miles is 284 mph, and my fuel burn averages 42 gallons of JetA per hour. Those are real world block numbers. Advertising numbers will always look better. Some people use apples to apples numbers when comparing aircraft and they talk block speed and block fuel burn. Block is the average speed and average fuel burn on an average flight that accounts for taxi, climb, cruise, descent, approach and taxi speeds as well as fuel burn. A more useful number, since just looking at cruise numbers is artificial. For instance, you could spend one minute in cruise and never realize anywhere near ideal numbers.

Compare it to a car with the emission controls, air bags, addition structure for collisions. and other item that add weight and engine inefficiency.
Except you have it backwards, Experimentals have all the added safety features years/decades before they're certified by the FAA. I can't tell you how many times I cringe when I hear Max Trescott (Aviation News Talk) brag about the incredible new safety features of the certified planes he flies, (last weeks was target trends, we've had that since 2014.)

We seem to be talking past each other. Go ahead, you can have the last word, I won't respond.

Except you have it backwards, Experimentals have all the added safety features years/decades before they're certified by the FAA. I can't tell you how many times I cringe when I hear Max Trescott (Aviation News Talk) brag about the incredible new safety features of the certified planes he flies, (last weeks was target trends, we've had that since 2014.)

We seem to be talking past each other. Go ahead, you can have the last word, I won't respond.

Experimental v experimental.

The record for the most fuel-efficient vehicle is 0.01614 litres of petrol for 100 km (14,573 mpg) and was achieved by Duke Electric Vehicles (USA) at Galot Motorsports in Benson, North Carolina, USA, on 21 July 2018.

Last edited:

My problem with experimental is the perception I have of them. It might could not be confirmed with statistics, but it’s my perception nonetheless. I haven’t been to Oshkosh much and not in a long time, but every time I went, there was a fatality due to in flight breakup of an experimental airplane. Added to that, it seems like about every time I’ve looked over an experimental I have found things that concerned me such as seeing soft bolts from the hardware store holding on the prop. If it has less than the best fasteners where you can see them, what’s underneath?

Perception is ones reality.

My smaller motorcycle isn’t that efficient.

Although I've never done sustained 120 MPH runs in a motorcycle, I've managed to get <30 MPG from my motorcycles. My Honda VTX I think got me something around 26 MPG on one trip when I was pushing it a bit (still double digits). It was enough that on a 180 mile trip I had to stop for fuel, which is rather pathetic. My Harley post engine build gets around 33 MPG although I haven't done a highway trip with it yet. But, it is tuned for power and fun, not at all for fuel economy.

There's one rather serious flaw in your comparison here, at least when comparing GA flying to driving, and that it's very rarely that either your departure point or your destination is an airport, and practically never that both are.

I'm going to give you an example. I live in Roswell, GA, and my mother lived in Brooksville, FL. Every year around the holidays we'd go to visit her. According to Google Maps, it's 445 sm by road, and 6.5 hours. My experience tells me that this is correct. We'd usually add a lunch stop in the middle of that, but in terms of travel time, 6.5 hours is a good figure to use. My car is a hybrid, and it usually got 37 mpg southbound and 36 northbound, 12 gallons southbound and maybe 12.5 northbound.

I'm going to use the OP's 172N as an example. My father owned one in the 80's, and I'm very familiar with it. The closest airport to my house is Cobb County/McCollum Field (KRYY), and the closest airport to my mother's house is Brooksville/Tampa Bay Regional (KBKV). I couldn't find a direct distance, so I used KATL - KTPA, which is 353 nm. I used the 172N POH figures for taxi and takeoff, and the figures for flying at 6000 feet at 2500 RPM, which is 67% power, say we cruised at 5500 feet one way and 6500 the other, and I assumed a 10 knot tailwind southeast bound and a 10 knot headwind on the way back.

There are four of us, and we weigh about 610 pounds, and would have about 100 pounds of baggage, which leaves 190 pounds for fuel given a 900 pound useful load, which is 31 gallons. I have a rule that if l don't have an hours worth of fuel at cruise setting, when I land, I was reckless, and I don't like being reckless.

The steps to get to my mom's using general aviation would be this:
Drive from my house to KRYY: .5 hrs, 16 sm, .4 gallons
Get plane out of hangar, preflight: .3 hrs
Taxi, takeoff: .3 hrs, 1.1 gallons
Climb to altitude, .2 hrs, 1.9 gallons
Enroute, 2.8 hrs @ 125 knots, 21 gallons, 353 nm
Approach, land, taxi, .2 hrs, 1 gallon
Secure airplane with FBO, .2 hrs
There are no rental cars based at this airport, but there is an Enterprise office 9 miles away. There should be an unknown amount of waiting time added here for a ride to their office, but since that's unknown, I'm going to leave it out.
Ride to Enterprise .3 hrs, 9 sm, .4 gallons
Rental car paperwork, .2 hrs
Drive to Mom's, .2 hrs, .2 gallons

Total that up, you get 5.2 hours, 30.4 gallons, That's shaving off 20 percent of the time of the drive, but uses 140% more fuel, plus is quite expensive. A 172 is cramped and loud, and lacks air conditioning. A sedan is quiet, spacious, and comfortable, and if someone needs a bio break, that's typically less than 15 minutes away when you're driving.

On the southeasterly leg, we enjoyed a slight tailwind and used 24 gallons. That left us with a 7 gallon reserve, which is close to an hour at 65% power. On the way back, everything is the same but the enroute portion, which goes from 2.8 hours to 3.4 hours, and from 21 gallons to 26 gallons, and our fuel reserve is essentially gone. We now have to make a fuel stop, which will consume at least .7 hours and five gallons. This means that the trip northbound is now 6.5 hours, the same as the car, while using triple the fuel.

The other issue is that the flight requires a lot of steps, and if something unexpected happens, the time advantage is likely gone. With car travel, the most common unknown is traffic, but for the most part, you can plan to miss most of it. And of course, the dispatch reliability of car travel is vastly better than that of light GA. If I'd planned to make this trip today, all I had to do this morning to tell I wouldn't be flying is to look out the window, we had storms until afternoon.

Most pilots fly because they enjoy it, not for any practical reason. There are certainly people who can get some utility out of flying light GA, but there aren't all that many. If you like to fly, by all means do so, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice, especially if you have to come up with logic like you have here where an increase of speed is worth the square of the effort needed to create it, in order to justify your flying. At the end of August, my younger daughter is returning to school, and she's never driven long distances by herself, so I will be driving up with her, and she will drop me at KCLE and I will fly back on Delta. The flight back is about an hour and 45 minutes, and is $120. If Delta offered service that would get me back in half the time for four times the price, I would say no, it's not worth $360 to save 50 minutes. I'm afraid that your rationalization here does not stand up to scrutiny.

Should I post this as a reply to your blog?

Last edited:
There's one rather serious flaw in your comparison here, at least when comparing GA flying to driving, and that it's very rarely that either your departure point or your destination is an airport, and practically never that both are.

I'm going to give you an example. I live in Roswell, GA, and my mother lived in Brooksville, FL. Every year around the holidays we'd go to visit her. According to Google Maps, it's 445 sm by road, and 6.5 hours. My experience tells me that this is correct. We'd usually add a lunch stop in the middle of that, but in terms of travel time, 6.5 hours is a good figure to use. My car is a hybrid, and it usually got 37 mpg southbound and 36 northbound, 12 gallons southbound and maybe 12.5 northbound.

I'm going to use the OP's 172N as an example. My father owned one in the 80's, and I'm very familiar with it. The closest airport to my house is Cobb County/McCollum Field (KRYY), and the closest airport to my mother's house is Brooksville/Tampa Bay Regional (KBKV). I couldn't find a direct distance, so I used KATL - KTPA, which is 353 nm. I used the 172N POH figures for taxi and takeoff, and the figures for flying at 6000 feet at 2500 RPM, which is 67% power, say we cruised at 5500 feet one way and 6500 the other, and I assumed a 10 knot tailwind southeast bound and a 10 knot headwind on the way back.

There are four of us, and we weigh about 610 pounds, and would have about 100 pounds of baggage, which leaves 190 pounds for fuel given a 900 pound useful load, which is 31 gallons. I have a rule that if l don't have an hours worth of fuel at cruise setting, when I land, I was reckless, and I don't like being reckless.

There are no rental cars based at this airport, but there is an Enterprise office 9 miles away. There should be an unknown amount of waiting time added here for a ride to their office, but since that's unknown, I'm going to leave it out.

Total that up, you get 5.2 hours, 30.4 gallons, That's shaving off 20 percent of the time of the drive, but uses 140% more fuel, plus is quite expensive. A 172 is cramped and loud, and lacks air conditioning. A sedan is quiet, spacious, and comfortable, and if someone needs a bio break, that's typically less than 15 minutes away when you're driving.

On the southeasterly leg, we enjoyed a slight tailwind and used 24 gallons. That left us with a 7 gallon reserve, which is close to an hour at 65% power. On the way back, everything is the same but the enroute portion, which goes from 2.8 hours to 3.4 hours, and from 21 gallons to 26 gallons, and our fuel reserve is essentially gone. We now have to make a fuel stop, which will consume at least .7 hours and five gallons. This means that the trip northbound is now 6.5 hours, the same as the car, while using triple the fuel.

The other issue is that the flight requires a lot of steps, and if something unexpected happens, the time advantage is likely gone. With car travel, the most common unknown is traffic, but for the most part, you can plan to miss most of it. And of course, the dispatch reliability of car travel is vastly better than that of light GA. If I'd planned to make this trip today, all I had to do this morning to tell I wouldn't be flying is to look out the window, we had storms until afternoon.

Most pilots fly because they enjoy it, not for any practical reason. There are certainly people who can get some utility out of flying light GA, but there aren't all that many. If you like to fly, by all means do so, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice, especially if you have to come up with logic like you have here where an increase of speed is worth the square of the effort needed to create it, in order to justify your flying. At the end of August, my younger daughter is returning to school, and she's never driven long distances by herself, so I will be driving up with her, and she will drop me at KCLE and I will fly back on Delta. The flight back is about an hour and 45 minutes, and is $120. If Delta offered service that would get me back in half the time for four times the price, I would say no, it's not worth $360 to save 50 minutes. I'm afraid that your rationalization here does not stand up to scrutiny.

Sure, please do post it. I would be happy to include it there.

Your examples are valid. I was also once of the opinion that utility of GA was somewhat limited. Since I started flying faster airplanes with more useful load, I've changed my opinion.

Here is a counter example. I just came back from a long drive to Chicago with my family for a medical appointment. It is 320 miles and 6 hr drive each way. I would have flown, but we had to drive this time for reasons I won't go into. Our destination was within 3 miles of KPWK airport. That's easy to do with Uber. In our airplane, this would be 1.5 hrs each way. My home airport is 1 mile from my house. I can leave my car in the hangar. Add some extra time for pre-flight, taxi and being vectored, it won't be more than a 2 hour flight each way. The medical appointment was only 2 hours long. The whole thing could have been done easily in a single day trip. Weather was fine for IFR flight. Instead, we drove 6 hours, stayed at a hotel, got stuck in Chicago rush hour traffic on the way back and spent a painful 8 hours on the return trip. It cost more time and more money (hotel) than flying.

The drive to my parents house is 9.5 hours non stop. With my wife, it is almost always around 12 hours, she likes a sit down lunch or dinner outside the car. :)
To fly there, half hour to the airport, 30 minutes fueling and preflight the plane, usually 3:15 headed southwest to my parents, and 2:45 coming back. Plus 25 minutes from the airport to my parents.
Call it 4 hours to 12.
Worth it Everytime. .

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

The closest airport to my house is Cobb County/McCollum Field (KRYY), and the closest airport to my mother's house is Brooksville/Tampa Bay Regional (KBKV). I couldn't find a direct distance, so I used KATL - KTPA, which is 353 nm.

I am stumped as to what you mean by this. RYY to BKV is 349.4 nm. Of course, it requires either entering the ATL Class B or navigating around it, either of which will cause the distance to be greater, but I'm curious why you couldn't find the distance like you did for ATL - TPA.

A lot depends on the trip you choose and the plane you fly... Here's a counter to your example, the next family trip I am taking to my parents' place in Montana. The flight time is showing as 2:07, which even when factoring drive time and preflight will have us door to door in about 3:30. The drive would be a bit longer...
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 6.14.54 AM.png
I don't think we will save on fuel efficiency though but that isn't why we are flying...

The Luscombe will do a respectable 100mph on roughly 4-4.5 gallons of gas all day... Not to bad getting roughly 22-25 mpg.

The same is true with cars, but the winds don't have as much of an impact. But a headwind will lower your MPG and a tailwind will raise it

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. As a driver of a fuel-efficient car who makes a game of trying to get good mileage, I definitely notice the difference between a headwind and a tailwind. For example, driving to my usual airport on the interstate which runs mostly N-S, I can easily see a mpg difference if it's windy. Say a normal windy summer day with wind 20-25 kts from the south, my drive northbound will be much more efficient than southbound.

Routine and/or recent trips.

20 minute drive to the airport.
20 min pre-flight and fuel
2 hour flight
5 minute walk to the cabin
2hr 45m door to door and 28 gallons of fuel
vs
7hr30m drive and 25 gallons of fuel

20 minute drive to airport
3:10 minute flight
35 minute drive to beach (could have been 20, but saved a couple hundred on fuel and fees)
4:25 door to door and 44 gallons of fuel
vs
12 hour drive and 40 gallons of fuel

2hour flight
15 minutes (rental car at FBO)to hotel
2h55m door to door and 28 gallons of fuel
vs
6 hour drive and 20 gallons of fuel

3:30 flight
5 minutes (aunt and uncle) to house
4h15m door to door and 49 gallons of fuel
vs
12 hour drive and 40 gallons of fuel

20 minute drive to the airport
1:40 flight
15 minutes (friends pick me up since I'm seeing them) to house
2hr35m door to door and 25 gallons of fuel
vs
7hr drive and 23 gallons of fuel

Shall I go on?

Oh yeah, and none of it includes the inevitable traffic jam, pee breaks, and fuel stops that add to the time in the car.

A lot depends on the trip you choose and the plane you fly... Here's a counter to your example, the next family trip I am taking to my parents' place in Montana. The flight time is showing as 2:07, which even when factoring drive time and preflight will have us door to door in about 3:30. The drive would be a bit longer...
View attachment 97086
I don't think we will save on fuel efficiency though but that isn't why we are flying...

The point I was making was that if your objective is only about fuel efficiency, then you would walk, or take a bicycle. Speed costs fuel. The faster you go, the more fuel you need. There is no way around it, unless you are in vacuum. For some reason, people have accepted 60 mph as the acceptable speed that is worth paying extra fuel for. But that is an entirely arbitrary choice. Someone else might choose 200 mph as their acceptable speed.

The point I was making was that if your objective is only about fuel efficiency, then you would walk, or take a bicycle. Speed costs fuel. The faster you go, the more fuel you need. There is no way around it, unless you are in vacuum. For some reason, people have accepted 60 mph as the acceptable speed that is worth paying extra fuel for. But that is an entirely arbitrary choice. Someone else might choose 200 mph as their acceptable speed.

My free time is worth somewhere between $100 and $200/hr to me. Time difference alone makes flying way more efficient.

Which works out to a net headwind, as a crosswind, even slightly from the tail, may increase your "air miles vs. ground miles" numbers.
But people know what MPG means; I told people I got 15 mpg with my Skyhawk going twice as fast as road traffic.

I thought seat per mile was the accepted gauge for planes?

The Aztec will fly 6 people 300 miles on about 70 gallons in about 2 hrs. About $360 in gas across 1,800 seat miles, or about $0.20 per seat per mile.

No one said it burns less gas than a car, but people fly primarily to save time. I do believe rail is accepted as the most "efficient" means of transportation from a strict "mpg" sense.

Overall efficiency of transport is not the only consideration when someone is thinking about buying a vehicle. The vehicle in question has to be just large enough to handle the largest job it is expected to do regularly. Other than that it should be as small as possible provided that that smallness gives it the capability that it still needs. This is why our first airplane was a Piper Cherokee 140 with an acceptable backseat. We don't usually fly with four people so that space is converted into additional baggage space and I can tell you from experience my wife and I used every inch of it. That configuration also gave us the capability of carrying four people occasionally, which we have also done.

Our current airplane is a Mooney super 21. It has about the same configuration inside as the Cherokee but just a little bit tighter. It is more efficient both in that it is faster and burns less fuel. I can fly 375 NM in 3 hours and burn 26 gallons with a 20kt headwind, but the Cherokee would take 3.8 hours, 33 gal, and no headwind.

It doesn't hurt that the destination airport is only 5 miles away and we can get someone to pick us up there. The 3 hour flight is buffeted on both ends by another 3 hours total, so it takes me 6 hours total instead of 12. It is 550 miles by car, 10-11 hours on the road plus loading and unloading, so about 12 hours and 22 gal of fuel in a Subaru Outback. Seems like a better trade to me.

More factors enter into it. When I was working, I had 3-4 weeks of vacation, and those days were valuable to me. I flew our Bonanza from Texas to South Caroline 1-2 times a year, less than 7 hours including a fuel stop. My alternatives were to drive, a hard two day trip with an overnight stay and loss of two vacation days compared to flying; and buying four airline tickets (two kids). The Bonanza won hands down. Now, retired with kids grown, the math looks different.

Back