Gender Reveal Party

Instead of just dumping something out the the plane and risk something blowing back in cockpit or littering with 1000’s of tissue paper… just fly over field and turn left for boy snd right for girl. less distracting for pilot

Dispensing powder from a plane ..... my thoughts immediately went to an episode of ICE PILOTS some years ago.

One of the senior long term pilots had passed away ... I think his name was Arnie ..... he had requested his ashes be spread over a certain area and from a plane .... turned out to be a humorous experiment trying to meter out the ashes without it swirling around and blowing back into the cargo door .... some of the crew had Arnie's ashes in their faces and stuck on their teeth .... they eventually figured it out by using a pipe affair that put the ashes in the slipstream .

If gender notification by air was important to me I would use wartime tactics of dropping leaflets from the air to the people below .... BLUE if it is a boy .... or PINK if it is a girl .

RAINBOW colors for the gender confused crowd. But not many of them are pilots so never mind that category.

The gender reveal event thing is stupid. Plain and simple. Sorry. Do something more productive with your certificate.

You want a real gender review party? Have it in L&D, mother, father, and medical staff invited only. That's the way we did it 6 years ago. People thought we were nuts. I don't regret it one bit. As the father, there was nothing more special in my entire life than announcing to my wife: "it's a boy!!!!"

there was not enough tannerite in the world to top that moment. And not a second of video either, but it's not necessary, we'll always fondly remember the moment.

Both our boys were stressful deliveries. We got briefed that if the nurse holding the baby went to the right, we were headed for NICU, left was regular nursery. Both boys went right....Spent lots of hours in NICU with them.

My kids' gender reveal:
(Phone rings)
Hey mom.
Sure I can help with that.
The ultrasound went fine.
Yeah, it's another girl.
Okay see you in a bit.

Read the stories about people attempting to scatter cremated remains from airplanes and learn from it.

You would think there are sensible mature pilots who would talk to you properly in persuading you not to do this.

Sensible, mature pilots probably wouldn't include this as one of the things they are debating doing:
Perhaps a 25 second smoke grenade that is held outside the window by hand

every single person on the forum was an idiot who is still living in their high school years

Every person? I mean I still talk about winning the big game and that prom night with....

Everyone here is an idiot? I mean... c'mon there.

Wow, what a wonderful aviation community. I didn't expect this many idiots to answer. You would think there are sensible mature pilots who would talk to you properly in persuading you not to do this. Simply saying, I don't recommend it. But sad to see, that every single person on the forum was an idiot who is still living in their high school years.
You’re welcome.
Just remember who was the first idiot.

again there are sensible ways to respond, this isn't high school.

Most people on here are not going to help you kill yourself or others and general thinking is it’s a bad idea. And calling people idiots won’t help your case. We want general aviation to be seen in a good light and stunts like this don’t do much to help the aviation community especially when they end up in a fatality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skydivers always have some sort of smoke canister attached to their legs. Helicopters are known for being used to throw things, the rotor wash certainly helps quite a lot. Never used a smoke grenade, so it was very helpful to know that they do get very hot and I did rule them myself. But clearly attaching a video where it showed it was done, how did all of that turn out to be so stupid? I'm over a 8000 hour pilot. This whole thing was very discouraging. Instead of talking to sensible people, if I pose a question, I'm just gonna get bunch of mockery. Really appreciate it.
So because we didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear, we’re idiots. Perhaps if you rephrase your question initially, maybe something like ‘hey guys I have this idea anybody who doesn’t think it’s a great idea don’t respond. I only want to hear from people who think it’s a great idea.’
If that is what you were looking for, I would suggest a different forum. Here you have people with enough experience to have seen people die from doing stuff like this. I call them stupid pilot tricks.Like the other poster said we’re not here to help people kill them selves. It makes GA look bad.

dur.gif

gender reveal party, hurr durr. gender reveal party, hurr durr. gender reveal party, hurr durr.

I actually re-read the entire thread. it's, as usual, pretty darn funny. too bad the OP 1) has no sense of humor and 2) actually wants to partake in a gender reveal party, hurr durr.

So because we didn’t tell you what you wanted to hear, we’re idiots. Perhaps if you rephrase your question initially, maybe something like ‘hey guys I have this idea anybody who doesn’t think it’s a great idea don’t respond. I only want to hear from people who think it’s a great idea.’
If that is what you were looking for, I would suggest a different forum. Here you have people with enough experience to have seen people die from doing stuff like this. I call them stupid pilot tricks.Like the other poster said we’re not here to help people kill them selves. It makes GA look bad.
better response than others

Fair critique. Yes, we're a tough crowd. This all got teed up with the original purpose: the gender reveal. I think most of us of a certain age think the whole notion is silly. That property has been damaged and lives lost when extravagant reveals have gone wrong only reinforces the impression.

Serious recommendation...based on 0 experience...colored streamers or crepe paper. With a crew member to handle the deployment while you fly.

Last edited:

No, this is the internet. It's worse!

I've been to gender reveal parties. They're mostly BBQs with a smoke 'bomb' lit in the middle. Seems to do the trick.

Whether or not one appreciates the humor in some of the posts, the takeaway from the posts thus far is that there aren't good airborne options that are both safe and visually impressive.

So I'll suggest one: Hire a banner tow pilot to do the flyby. Old school, yes, but the common denominator in the many gender reveal methods that have gone spectacularly wrong seems to be someone thinking, 'hey, no one has ever tried this before!'.

Glad to see this has gone as expected, and glad to see it hasn't been locked yet.

Gender reveal parties are dumb. Nobody should care that much about what parts are or aren't in the baby's diaper. Have a kid, celebrate that. Completely ridiculous that so many people have died and millions upon millions of dollars of property has been damaged due to this ridiculousness.

Yeah, don’t auger in like the guy in Mexico.

My response was sincere. The expanded version: if you choose to do this, your job is to fly the plane, not to make sure everyone on the ground is having a good time and certainly not to do an impromptu air show.

As for the method, you found a video of one that works, why change it? As you can see in the video, the bag was still dropping powder when they taxied to a stop, so attempting to bring it back into the airplane in flight would be a bad idea.

Another possible idea if you want the plane to be involved, but remove the powder and some other dangerous elements.
Fly over the party, have someone take an aerial picture of everyone smiling, waving, etc. Email it to someone that can do a countdown or something and then display it on a big screen with an overlay of "It's a (gender) !!"
Kind of memorializes everyone there at the same time...plus some folks just love seeing themselves in pictures ;)

Another possible idea if you want the plane to be involved, but remove the powder and some other dangerous elements.
Fly over the party, have someone take an aerial picture of everyone smiling, waving, etc. Email it to someone that can do a countdown or something and then display it on a big screen with an overlay of "It's a (gender) !!"
Kind of memorializes everyone there at the same time...plus some folks just love seeing themselves in pictures ;)

Takes a good camera / lens, settings combo, good clean windows, steady flight, and probably won’t look as good as you think it will.

This situation is a hammer in search of a nail. Aviation is a tool, but it’s frequently not the best tool in the bag.

I'm over a 8000 hour pilot

Which has exactly what to do with throwing powder and junk out of airplanes?? BTW, when there's virtual unanimous consensus on the internet on just about any topic, you've probably gotten the correct response to your inquiry.

Email it to someone that can do a countdown or something and then display it on a big screen with an overlay of "It's a (gender) !!"

I think it would be too early to declare the baby as agender, but I'm not SUPER well-versed in these things.

Which has exactly what to do with throwing powder and junk out of airplanes?? BTW, when there's virtual unanimous consensus on the internet on just about any topic, you've probably gotten the correct response to your inquiry.
When everybody in the room says you’re drunk, it’s probably a good idea to sit down.

"Hey guys, I want to do a stupid pilot trick and it might end up hurting someone or crash an airplane and therefore spike all of your already high aircraft insurance rates, please tell me the best way to do it -- I was totally thinking of chucking a grenade out of the plane lolz"

"You jerks, I only wanted supportive posts and techniques, wtf this forum sux and you are all buttnuggets"

:dunno:

Back