Weak Intercom Audio

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
7DEF7CC8-5879-4CAB-9DFB-3A5537F8F897.jpeg My Cessna 140 with custom panel relies on a NARCO audio panel as the intercom. It has always been adequate, but only enough for pilot, copilot to hear each other if headset volume controls are maxed. My hearing has not improved over the years, which means it’s not as good as it once was. Depending on who is with me I can’t always hear them well.

I wonder what options there might be? Would adding an intercom to the panel be a viable option? A necessary option?

Last edited:
IMHO a perfect application for our PAR200B!:D
That way you could replace your older Com with the Trig TY91L and have state-of-the-art audio including IntelliAudio and Bluetooth.
Just my two cents!
Mark
PS Engineering

Why not the pma6000b? My old com works great and I have a slide in spare in equally good shape.

We replaced the only broken COM radio (Narco) in our 150 with a GTR-200 (also available in certified version) back when it was $1200. It comes with modern radio features and a built-in 2 place intercom. Saves panel space and works great. That’s my idea.

My COM1 is the 420 and is an excellent radio. The COM2 is aged but works flawlessly and I have the same radio that I took out of COM1 position as a slide in spare and is in equally great condition. I have no need for new radios. I DO have a possible need for an intercom o new audio panel.

I have flown with a lot of Flightcom 403's that you can get new for under $200. Still have to do installation.
I have been using the portable versions for 20+ years.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

PMA6000B without marker sell for about $1025. The PMA4000 mounts either in a 2.25” round hole or like an intercom. It sells for $899 and is a great solution if space in the stack is an issue.

Getting a radio that has a built-in intercom doesn’t function as an audio panel. Having two radios requires some type of switching means.

hope this helps.
Mark

What type headsets are you using ? In a noisy plane, really good headsets go a long way toward helping. Also, just for my help in understanding...do you have a separate ptt for your intercom function on your cp136 ?

Last edited:
In a similar boat with 2 dated Narcos and just a softcomm intercom. One Narco works but it's SUPER quiet, to the point you can hear transmitting but not what was actually said. There's probably a poor connection somewhere, but I'm thinking of just going a par200b for now.

Back