Fuel & lunch recommendations needed

mz-in-cali

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mz-in-cali
Hi.

I'm flying across the country, West to East. I'd like suggestions for airports near

Evanston Wyoming, or Roosevelt UT, or Malad City ID

for fuel (reasonably priced) and good lunch nearby. Don't want to spend more than 2 hours there. Basically an airport in the flats East of Salt Lake.

We'd like to spend the night East of the Rockies. Again, reasonable fuel cost, a place to get dinner and a decent room. Recommendations for that would be appreciated too!

The final destination is Massachusetts.

Thank you!

Not sure if Roosevelt or Malad have crew cars. Malad is kind of down in the bottom of a valley, shouldn't be an issue for summer VFR. Evanston has an attended FBO, crew car, and plenty of options for lunch (it's on the interstate). Kemmerer, WY, KEMM, has crew cars, and not far from town. Overnight stops further east, lots of choices. Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne, Casper, Scottsbluff, etc. Rawlins, usually has a crew car, you could walk to nearby lodging if necessary. I know Valentine, Nebraska, is a very short walk (1/2 mile or less) to town, with several motel choices, great if you're a backpack kind of guy, maybe not so good with a family and suitcases. Other places probably require transport of some kind, the airports are not that close to facilities.

Was guessing you'd want to get further east after your fuel stop, but my home base, Lander, WY KLND, is a great place to overnight as well.

Thank you. One of my concerns was that we’d be landing after the FBOs close after 6 and wasn’t sure what would be available to transport us to the hotels. We have one suitcase each and normally I’d just put what I need in my backpack, and hoof it.

I just remembered that some FBOs will leave car keys out for you after closing so I should call them in the morning and see if that’s a possibility.

Not sure if Roosevelt or Malad have crew cars. Malad is kind of down in the bottom of a valley, shouldn't be an issue for summer VFR. Evanston has an attended FBO, crew car, and plenty of options for lunch (it's on the interstate). Kemmerer, WY, KEMM, has crew cars, and not far from town. Overnight stops further east, lots of choices. Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne, Casper, Scottsbluff, etc. Rawlins, usually has a crew car, you could walk to nearby lodging if necessary. I know Valentine, Nebraska, is a very short walk (1/2 mile or less) to town, with several motel choices, great if you're a backpack kind of guy, maybe not so good with a family and suitcases. Other places probably require transport of some kind, the airports are not that close to facilities.

I have stopped at Kemmer, Wy a few times, Liked that it was at 7000 feet has a 7000 ft runway and no obstacles. Makes the descent and climb back to cruise altitude quick. Never ate there, but they had a nice crew car. Have eaten at the Pizza Hut there a long time when driving a 5 Ton military dump truck thru there once. If still there you could probably call ahead and have them deliver a pizza to minimize you time on the ground it that appeals to you.
Brian
CFIIG

If I understand correctly, the WY/ID is a fuel stop and then at least one leg further east for a hotel. So maybe SD, MN, IA or WI for the overnight?

Yes. I have a shorter day on the first day of the trip. I wanted to go about 900 miles. I can stop at KEMM for lunch, stretching legs and fuel, and then go on as far as KTVN or KTIF, and still get there with over an hour before dark.
On the next day I want to do two or three segments to KAQW. I'm trying to optimize for staying out of Bravo, minimize Canada overflight since my daughter's passport is still in process, and also not pay top dollar for fuel.

Any thoughts on Preston ID?

I think we are picking Valentine for the overnight stop. Backups being: KOGA, Grant GGF...

The next day we will go to
KANQ and then overnight at KAQW where we have family. Any thoughts on KANQ? Should I add another leg to the Valentine-KAQW-KAQW so that each leg is a bit shorter?

I think your entire route is landing south of where I typically fly so can't really give much advice. Having driven though Nebraska some of those towns are awfully small and remote. Perhaps going just slightly south to North Platte will get you a bigger town, FBO and multiple runways for the windy plains. The Omaha Charlie is very easy to enter/exit but the FBO fuel prices are crazy at both.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your departure airport? What plane are you flying and what cruise speed? If you are going 200kts its a lot different than 125kts for the planning.

I departed CCR before noon. 186knots and in an SR22T. Over Elko now.

Cruising along nice! I see you landed at U10. Maybe some convective ahead eastern WY/ western NE but looks like your Valentine area second leg ends right around that area and will hopefully die down early evening.

Yeah I decided to land since I didn’t want to land further at Kemmerer with only 15 gallons.

We’re heading out to Valentine in 30 minutes. May make deviations if there’s weather or if we arrive too close to twilight.

KCGF- nice FBO but you definitely don't get cheep fuel! On your way back (if your going back) try 16G for cheep full service fuel, nice pool cars and good restaurants near by. Sounds like a fun trip!

Awesome. Bummer on the convective on the first day. Got you some SD time!

Question if you don't mind: I think you didn't start day 1 until noon....lets say you started at 7am. Do you think you would have made it in (2) days? You had some nice cruising speeds.

Also say you were up higher out West, do you use 02 or is that right on the edge for you?

You’re absolutely right. Not cheap. We went there because it was most convenient for a friend to pick us up at. Lake County would have been slightly cheaper.

we made up for it by getting gas at N23.

Question if you don't mind: I think you didn't start day 1 until noon....lets say you started at 7am. Do you think you would have made it in (2) days? You had some nice cruising speeds.

Yes. My daughter had a few things going on that morning, saying goodbyes and all, so we couldn’t leave for the airport until 11 or so. Then I waited for the fuel truck, which I should have done the day before.

The first day could have been three flights of 3 hours. And while I don’t need the fuel at all those stops, I do want to make sure I stretch our legs.

The second day could also have been three flights, if only I hadn’t stopped too long at Quadcity. I got fuel, called FSS and they thought that the weather system was moving faster than it actually did. I could definitely have gotten out of there and over to Southern OH or Pennsylvania for another fuel stop. And a last flight to Boston.

Packing a lunch on the first day and more snacks might have been a good idea. The first day we had Mexican for lunch at Preston, and we really could have skipped it if we had a better selection of snacks. We weren’t hungry for dinner at Valentine, but grabbed some snack items from a convenience store at 11pm. The next day we had a abysmal breakfast, but we snacked on the plane and at quad city, we thought we’d use the downtime to get lunch but we weren’t very hungry. We grabbed ice cream instead. Before we left quad city, we had a couple of items from the FBO’s vending machine. We had no dinner that night. And didn’t need it.

The next morning we had a really good breakfast, and needed no food at Sidney Municipal, so we fueled and took right off. So really, the first day, the time spent grabbing the courtesy car and going to lunch could have been used to get us further East. Of course some of these adventures are more fun when you get to see the towns attached to the airports, although some towns are more interesting than others. Preston and Valentine might have had cool sights if a local had helped point them out.

in short, this could easily have been a two day adventure. Weather is the big wildcard. On the East coast, early mornings do provide fewer thunderstorms, so the mid afternoon flights could at delayed.

The ADS-B weather and flight following assistance, were very good at helping us maneuver around thunderstorms. The other clouds were docile as we flew under them. Without real-time weather radar, I try to be very careful though. It’s easy to get stale weather data.

BTW, I try not to land at new airports at night. However, a well lighted airport without nearby ridges and obstacles can actually be pretty easy to land at. Sidney Muni is not one of them. With that ridge on one side, it would be hard to handle it unless a straight in. Even then...

Also say you were up higher out West, do you use 02 or is that right on the edge for you?

I keep the oxygen cannula nearby. I checked my O2 at 9500 and I was at 85%. At 11500 I was at 80%. So I decided to turn on the O2 and put on the cannula. I can get my O2 levels up over 90% at that altitude without supplementing, if I consciously breath deeper. It’s hard to remember that.

one last thing. I’ve usually benefited from better groundspeed by flying higher. However, the winds really weren’t cooperating so we didn’t go over 11500. Going home, I might try up to 16500 to see if I have better weather and speed.

My trip is over. Here is the breakdown:

Trip out:
Day Departed Arrived Time Distance
Day 1 KCCR U10 (Preston ID) 3.1 hours 528.1 nm
Day 1 U10 KVTN (Valentine NE) 3.4 hours 506.1 nm
Day 2 KVTN KMLI (Quad City - Moline IL) & 1U7 3.1 hours 455.7 nm
Day 2 KMLI KCGF (Cuyahoga OH 2.7 hours (1.1 night) 406.5 nm
Day 3 KCGF N23 (Sidney, NY) 2.3 hours 275.4 nm
Day 3 N23 KBED (Hanscom - Bedford, MA 1.4 hours 183.8 nm
Totals 16 hours 2,355.6 nm

Trip back:
Day Departed Arrived Time Distance
Day 1 KAQW KFNT (Flint, MI) 3.3 hours 466.8 nm
Day 1 KFNT KSLB (Storm Lake, IA) (No fuel available so next flight) 3.3 hours 508 nm
Day 1 KSLB KCKP (Cherokee, IA) 0.2 hours 16.1 nm
Day 1 KCKP U10 (Preston, ID) 4.8 hours 726.7 nm
Day 2 U10 1O3 (Lodi, CA) 3.6 hours 489.6 nm
Day 2 1O3 KCCR (Concord, CA) 0.4 hours 39.4 nm
Totals 15.6 hours 2246.6 nm

Back