Flying GA in Hawaii

In 2000 I flew around Oahu in a 152 that was based at HNL. It took 1.6 hours around the island, including a landing at HDH and sighseeing detours. The wet rate was $60/hr back then. In a 172 I would imagine it should not take more than 1.2.

I liked the north shore, approach from the ocean towards Diamond Head, and especially flying the route that the Japanese Zeros flew when they attacked Pearl Harbor (it gave me goose bumps). If you can extend your flight time, flying to Molokai and visiting the north cliffs and waterfalls is incredible.

Awesome! Thank you. I believe I am going to make that the plan.
It looks like I can circle the parameter of Oahu, fly along the north end of Molokai to see the falls, and get back in under 2 hours. Planning ~110 kts.

Way cool.

take a nice landing at Dillingham (PHDH) before ‘the man’ closes it permanently.

OIP._Gu5xS4S5EkDlbpK24zJYwHaEK

This could be you

Does the instructor know that he or she will be flying with JustPlaneSilly?

West side of the island is more waterfalls and jungle, south side is city, north side is stereotypical “Hawaii” type towns with a lot of nice beaches, east side is super scenic with extremely nice beaches/water. Chinaman’s hat is on the east side. This is Makapu’u lookout, on the SE corner, not far from Diamond Head.
936D2189-4698-46CE-8FDB-6BDEE8787DEB.jpeg
This is Koko Head a little further south of Makapu’u
5268113E-A433-4EB9-8BD5-59DE5A293126.jpeg
This is Wahiawa near the Dole pineapple plantation. Big mountains to both sides if you get around there. 9D9F2611-403E-4DD5-872C-02EABA55C45B.jpeg

Last edited:
West side of the island is more waterfalls and jungle, south side is city, north side is stereotypical “Hawaii” type towns with a lot of nice beaches, east side is super scenic with extremely nice beaches/water. Chinaman’s hat is on the east side. This is Makapu’u lookout, on the SE corner, not far from Diamond Head.
View attachment 96879

Man this is going to be good. I live and fly in the flattest most boring place on earth. Almost all of my flying looks like this:

2ky.jpg

Also, see if you can find the Gilligan's Island beach...

The Gilligan's Island beach where they shot the pilot episode is actually on Kauai island, also called the garden island. That is the northern island. My wife and I rented a plane there in 2018. Zuckerberg owns a spread on that island. We also flew over the beech where Elvis made one of his movies, although I forgot the name of it. We only stayed on that island. If you have the plane for a couple of hours, you could fly to that Island, as it is about 100 miles north, but I'd think you might enjoy flying southeast in the chain a little more, maybe to the big island, if you have the time. the volcano/mountain peak there is almost 14000 ft. it is a couple hundred miles southeast though. Maui is only about a hundred miles southeast. it has a peak elevation of about 10,000 ft. That might be more doable. If this is a once in a lifetime trip and you have any flexibility, I would definitely recommend spending a little more than saving a buck or two if you can. You will more than likely say "I wish I woulda" than "I wish I wouldn't of" when it is all said and done.

Back around 2004 (when I was still working on my PPL), I reserved a couple of flights w/CFI out of PHNL. Granted, you're departing a different airport but the HNL controllers were very accommodating to VFR traffic. First flight was past Waikiki/Diamond Head/Koko head/Windward side, etc to the North Shore, then between the ranges right over the aforementioned farms (and Wheeler AAF) then over Ford Island (spooky feeling there, given history) to land HNL. The next time was the opposite, past Aiea/Dillingham, etc. with some landings at PHJR. Truly, your best bet is to consult the CFI who's at your side - they'll probably act more as a tour guide than instructor. Whatever you do, you'll have a blast.

And aloha.

Had a CFI right seat for all the correct pronunciation of the reporting points. :rolleyes:

Amen! Every time I've rented in Hawaii that is one of the key reasons I've taken the CFI with me.

Also, see if you can find the Gilligan's Island beach...

Wrong island. That is on Kauai.

My wife and I rented a plane there in 2018.

Who did you rent from? That is the island we usually stay on and is the only one I haven't flown on.

I've rented in Hawaii 5 times. The first was the only time I've taken off and landed at a Class B - Honolulu. Shot T&Gs on Molokai (Kalaupapa) and Maui (Kahului) on that one. I've flown with Maui Aviators and on that flight added Lanai to my log book, as well. I've rented three times on Hawaii, always with the same outfit. Tropic Bird Flight Service. The last time was in 2007. It was owned and run by a fellow by the name of Mike Lauro (sp?). $200/hr dual for a 172 was a bit rich for my taste the last time. 2.5 hours the last time to circumnavigate the island. One time we were rounding the point on the NW corner of the island and climbed with the engine at idle. Quite an updraft.

Plenty of choices. Regardless of where you go, you'll have a ball.

Who did you rent from? That is the island we usually stay on and is the only one I haven't flown on.

We rented from Wings Over Kauai, but I just checked and it looks like they no longer have the Cessna 172 that we used. There was a 182, I believe at Port Allen on that island, but I looked for that just now and I couldn't find that one either. I wonder if Covid has caused a major change on that island.

Edit: You might call them. I found the right page and it appears they do still have the 172.

Awesome! Thank you. I believe I am going to make that the plan.
It looks like I can circle the parameter of Oahu, fly along the north end of Molokai to see the falls, and get back in under 2 hours. Planning ~110 kts.
I had a good friend that was stationed out there at Hickam. I went out to visit and we rented a plane from HNL. Flew east to Molokai, saw the falls, landed at the leper colony (didn't get out, obviously), landed at MKK, then back to HNL. Pretty flight, you'll have a blast!

Yep. You are correct. There was a lagoon scene filmed just west of K Bay.

Actually in Kaneohe Bay, Coconut Island. My parents had a house on the bay near the island just after I graduated high school, 1980. They lived there several years and I got my instrument and CFI in Hawaii. Dad flew for 727's for Air Mic.

When friends would visit I would take them for a flying tour of the island. We would leave HNL and go counterclockwise around the island until we hit the valley in the center of the island. Go down the valley and top it off with a touch and go at Ford Island. Too bad Ford is now closed.

Never flown it, but if you are looking to get off the path, or gems for that matter, ping me. I lived there a year.

We rented from Wings Over Kauai, but I just checked and it looks like they no longer have the Cessna 172 that we used. There was a 182, I believe at Port Allen on that island, but I looked for that just now and I couldn't find that one either. I wonder if Covid has caused a major change on that island.

Edit: You might call them. I found the right page and it appears they do still have the 172.

Thanks. We'll be there next in September. 2 weeks. Again in the middle of January (5 weeks). I'll have to give Wings Over Kauai a call. And, yes, Covid-19 has caused significant changes on the islands.

I had a good friend that was stationed out there at Hickam. I went out to visit and we rented a plane from HNL. Flew east to Molokai, saw the falls, landed at the leper colony (didn't get out, obviously), landed at MKK, then back to HNL. Pretty flight, you'll have a blast!

Molokai, I've shot a T&G a couple of times at Kalaupapa (the leper colony airport). Flying in Hawaii is beautiful. As I mentioned earlier, you'll have a ball.

Looks awesome! Are you doing a video on the flight?

Back