School me on selling used avionics

Joe_B1

Line Up and Wait
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Joe_B
After a recent panel upgrade, I have some yellow tagged equipment to sell. GTX330es, GMA340, KI206, KY197, etc.

Having never sold anything on line, I am looking for advice on how to go about it. Payment, shipping, liability. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joe

Having never sold anything on line...
That's tough. Without any history, nobody's going to trust you. Best bet is to find a buddy that does have good history and is willing to stick out their neck and consign on your behalf.

Otherwise, eBay offers a guarantee that eases some buyers' minds but you should still expect a lower transaction price and/or a longer wait due to lack of history. And they'll extract a good percentage for sellers fees and payment transaction fees.

If you don’t want to jump through hoops to setup an eBay account, check prices there, list in aviation classifieds. Yes, I’d also price them under the eBay average price, if you want to sell.

I’ve often offered a short $$ back period if not satisfied, May or may not work for you.

I can’t see to much liability issues selling used radios or NAV, never know though.

I don’t see why you’d have much problem selling what you have listed.

If you decide to list on eBay, consider including a picture of the log page entry when it was removed and mention the fact that it was working when installed in your personal plane. Also consider offering the 30 day refund policy.

When I’ve been looking at used avionics on eBay a lot only say “used” in the description with no other information. I wouldn’t consider buying something that has nothing written in the description, no money back refund and a zero feedback seller.

Ebay is an easy way to sell on your own. Some sites like VAF have a very active classified section but sellers with low post count are suspect.
One option to consider is selling it through an intermediary. https://www.steinair.com/ I read provides this service for a nominal fee. They are a known trusted business which accepts your avionics, tests them, holds them until certified funds are received by them, then ships your avionics to the recipient, and sends you the payment minus their fee.

I sold all the king hsi components that came out of my plane on ebay. I was very clear about what it was doing that prompted me to replace it, and sold it as is. Good pictures and descriptions go a long way. Ebay took something like 20% though. Seemed steep, but I didn't know where else to sell slightly broken avionics. I cleared over $400 when the dust settled. Of course working systems go for a couple grand.

The process was pretty painless. You can buy ups labels through eBay at a substantial discount. I used old Amazon boxes, which we are awash with, and handed them off to my ups driver when she showed up to drop off even more Amazon boxes.

If I had something that worked 100% I would try to sell it here or on a type forum first. Especially radios.

Airventure Aeromart?

Ebay is an easy way to sell on your own. Some sites like VAF have a very active classified section but sellers with low post count are suspect.
One option to consider is selling it through an intermediary. https://www.steinair.com/ I read provides this service for a nominal fee. They are a known trusted business which accepts your avionics, tests them, holds them until certified funds are received by them, then ships your avionics to the recipient, and sends you the payment minus their fee.
Thanks for the tip on Steinair. I spoke with him today and he agreed to handle all the escrow and shipping for me!

Hey Joe - just wondering if your avionics have sold yet with steinair. I also have a few items to sell due to an upgrade. eBay fees are so egregious that I'm hoping to find an alternate site that is just as effective. Barnstormers doesn't seem to be getting any traction.

Steinair isn't a place to sell your avionics, or at least I don't believe so. They serve as an intermediary to lend legitimacy for both seller and buyer.
You might try VAF too find a buyer depending on the particular avionics you have for sale. If it's old stuff for certified aircraft not so much. If it's newer or attractive to the eab builder crowd and priced around 50% of new, it would likely move quickly.

When I spoke to them, they said they would do anything I wanted to help me sell it from just outright buying it from me to acting as the escrow company. I opted for the latter because they looked up what I had on eBay and offered me half of what stuff was selling for if I wanted to sell it to them.

They seem very helpful and it would be a good idea to give them a call. He will quote you prices right over the phone.

In my case, they wanted pictures and they will post it on their eBay store. They have a sliding percentage scale that they charge based on what it sells for.

I will add that the most desirable equipment will likely go for about half of new but since everything is going to glass, don't expect to get a lot for your stuff. Check out eBay to see what things are going for and that will give you an idea of the value. But keep in mind that they will take a chunk of that for a fee.

Back